ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 16 of 40
« First < 61213141516 1718192026 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>The logic of drafting OT in the 1st.
Direckshun 01:23 PM 01-21-2021
What we know about this team is that it typically likes to fill its roster out as much as possible in free agency and then spend its highest picks on potential replacements for job openings a year down the road, and that includes Veach.

I doubt I even need to run down the list but:

2020: CEH --> Williams
2019: Hardman --> Hill/Watkins
2018: Speaks --> Ford/Houston
2017: Mahomes --> Smith

Fisher will be on the last year of his contract, and most of us suspect Schwartz retiring.

The Chiefs obviously like Niang but going OT 1st gives them the options:It just seems like the kind of move that gives them the flexibility in future decisions that they like to have.

I'd rather they go DE, even if it means trading up for one. But based on what we know, OT could ostensibly solve up to two different OL spots in 2021 and gives them all kinds of options in 2022 based on how 2021 goes.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:03 PM 01-28-2021
Originally Posted by T-post Tom:
Things will be changing fast in the off-season. Especially with the impending reduction in salary cap. Time will tell.
Dude, they have 2 injured offensive tackles, zero bodies at DE opposite Clark, two WR's that could be leaving via free agency, and a center that is a free agent.

They just drafted a LB in the 2nd and they have 2 guys they like under contract.

They're not drafting a LB high in the draft, if at all.
[Reply]
kccrow 10:01 PM 01-28-2021
Adding onto what htismage said, Sorensen is also a scheduled FA and a 3rd safety is FAR more important to the defense that Spags runs than a 3rd LB is. I can't fathom a LB selection before the 5th, to be honest.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 04:19 AM 01-29-2021
I think Dirty Dan will be back. Limitations and all, they really seem to like him.

Needs will be OL, DE and WR in no particular order
[Reply]
Dull Tools 04:59 AM 01-29-2021
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
I think Dirty Dan will be back. Limitations and all, they really seem to like him.

Needs will be OL, DE and WR in no particular order
Now Fisher is injured I think we need to get at least one veteran OL player next year.

We rely on the draft we could have a very inexperienced OL next year.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:17 AM 01-29-2021
One thing to keep in mind also-

In a second straight offseason of chaos due to covid, The Chiefs will be returning their entire coaching staff after a Super Bowl season, and schemes are very much set.

A lot of guys shoot up draft boards because they fit in any scheme. That doesn't necessarily mean they're MORE valuable to any specific scheme, and our schemes on both offense AND defense are VERY specific. This allows Veach to target specific sorts of skillsets to fit specific roles.

Couple that with Andy Reid's willingness and ability to tweak his scheme to make best use of available talent and I fully expect we're going to have another excellent draft while other less organized teams will struggle.

There are receivers, for example, that might fall as far as the end of the third that would be excellent fits for Sammy Watkins' role in this offense. Pass rushers that fit Spags' size and length preferences. Offensive linemen that aren't right for a power rushing scheme but are prototypical for Reid's. It's one of the benefits of doing things differently than everyone else.

And the continuity is very rare in a team that's in two straight Super Bowls.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:21 AM 01-29-2021
Take a guy like Nico Collins, WR Michigan. 6'4' 215 and scouting report says he'll likely be a better pro than college player. Might be there as late as the 4th. Attacks the football, huge catch radius, good straight line speed.

If you put him on the field with Hill and Kelce, a defense cannot double him. Mahomes can just back shoulder and jump ball this kid all day and there won't be much you can do about it.
[Reply]
kccrow 01:00 PM 01-29-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Take a guy like Nico Collins, WR Michigan. 6'4' 215 and scouting report says he'll likely be a better pro than college player. Might be there as late as the 4th. Attacks the football, huge catch radius, good straight line speed.

If you put him on the field with Hill and Kelce, a defense cannot double him. Mahomes can just back shoulder and jump ball this kid all day and there won't be much you can do about it.
I agree with much of what you said in both posts in terms of value versus skill set and scheme fit. This piece on a big-bodied WR though doesn't really fit the Reid mold. I think if you were talking guys like Anthony Schwartz, Ihmir Smith-Marsette, Marquez Stevenson, and Dazz Newsome in that paragraph, I'd be much inclined to agree. Speedier, shiftier guys that can get uncovered in a hurry rather than the big-bodied jump-ball receivers are what he targets most consistently.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:02 PM 01-29-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
I agree with much of what you said in both posts in terms of value versus skill set and scheme fit. This piece on a big-bodied WR though doesn't really fit the Reid mold. I think if you were talking guys like Anthony Schwartz, Ihmir Smith-Marsette, Marquez Stevenson, and Dazz Newsome in that paragraph, I'd be much inclined to agree. Speedier, shiftier guys that can get uncovered in a hurry rather than the big-bodied jump-ball receivers are what he targets most consistently.
Smith-Marsette is an intriguing prospect. I've seen pretty much every snap he's ever taken and I'm always hesitant to rate Iowa guys too highly. But he's a twitchy player and he would definitely fit this offense. He's got experience running the ball too, which we love to do with speedy WR's.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:06 PM 01-29-2021
Yes, except that we have two already.

A bigger body, more physical receiver that you still have to respect downfield (like Watkins when healthy) is the guy that creates the further matchup issue. A guy like Collins (doesn't have to be him, just a bigger, more physical receiver) would feast when teams roll coverage to Hill and Kelce. A bigger, physical receiver like that would be nearly impossible for a corner to effectively cover 1-on-1.

Mocks picking more Tyreek clones are missing the point, I think.

think of it as a bridge between Kelce and Hill.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:11 PM 01-29-2021
or, if you like, I also like Amari Rodgers; who while he's not tall, is a thicker body than say, a Hardman. It's a different body type, different skillset.
[Reply]
kccrow 01:33 PM 01-29-2021
Yes, except that we have two already.

A bigger body, more physical receiver that you still have to respect downfield (like Watkins when healthy) is the guy that creates the further matchup issue. A guy like Collins (doesn't have to be him, just a bigger, more physical receiver) would feast when teams roll coverage to Hill and Kelce. A bigger, physical receiver like that would be nearly impossible for a corner to effectively cover 1-on-1.

Mocks picking more Tyreek clones are missing the point, I think.

think of it as a bridge between Kelce and Hill.
or, if you like, I also like Amari Rodgers; who while he's not tall, is a thicker body than say, a Hardman. It's a different body type, different skillset.
Most of those guys are 5'11" to 6'0" guys but yeah, I get it. The issue is you're likely not seeing a receiver over 6'1" 205 and 6'1" is more like round 6'0 x/8ths" up. If his bio reads 6'4" 215, then I'd probably cross him off the list. I'm not saying never but the chances are very, very slim. I'd probably not consider guys like Collins, Seth Williams, Sage Surratt, and Simi Fohoko to name a few. There's alot more receivers this year though that fit than don't, which is a good thing for KC.
[Reply]
staylor26 01:39 PM 01-29-2021
Most of those guys are 5'11" to 6'0" guys but yeah, I get it. The issue is you're likely not seeing a receiver over 6'1" 205 and 6'1" is more like round 6'0 x/8ths" up. If his bio reads 6'4" 215, then I'd probably cross him off the list. I'm not saying never but the chances are very, very slim. I'd probably not consider guys like Collins, Seth Williams, Sage Surratt, and Simi Fohoko to name a few. There's alot more receivers this year though that fit than don't, which is a good thing for KC.
Agreed.

There are very few big WR’s that I could see this team drafting.

Bateman or Marshall maybe.

After that, there are very few. Though Austin Watkins, Sammy’s cousin, is a guy I could see the Chiefs loving in the middle rounds.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 02:03 PM 01-29-2021
I think Marshall is going to measure in at 6-1.5/6-2. That's about as big a WR as I'd expect to see in KC.

Austin Watkins of UAB is a guy I like in the mid-rounds. He's in that size category, has good speed and snatchy hands, and he's got a pretty diverse route-running history. I could see him picking up responsibilities in this offense quicker than many.

crow makes a good point on KC's scheme. You look at some of those lean OTs like Dillon Radunz, and I can see KC rating them a lot higher than, say, Alex Leatherwood (whose Senior Bowl seems to impressing... the idea that he's a G, not a T, in the NFL).
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:47 PM 01-29-2021
Watkins, Robinson, and Pringle are all 6-1 and between 203-210 pounds.

Watkins is the fastest of them, but I wouldn't consider any of them quick-twitch types like Tyreek and Hardman are.

We've also brought in some bigger bodied types than those 3 in the past, they just haven't stuck to this point.

I think Reid is interested in creating mismatches, and is always adding new wrinkles so I wouldn't be too hung up on specific heights and weights as being things we wouldn't take so much as what a person's skillset can add.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:56 PM 01-29-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
I think Marshall is going to measure in at 6-1.5/6-2. That's about as big a WR as I'd expect to see in KC.

Austin Watkins of UAB is a guy I like in the mid-rounds. He's in that size category, has good speed and snatchy hands, and he's got a pretty diverse route-running history. I could see him picking up responsibilities in this offense quicker than many.

crow makes a good point on KC's scheme. You look at some of those lean OTs like Dillon Radunz, and I can see KC rating them a lot higher than, say, Alex Leatherwood (whose Senior Bowl seems to impressing... the idea that he's a G, not a T, in the NFL).
I've thought that about Leatherwood for a while, honestly.
[Reply]
Page 16 of 40
« First < 61213141516 1718192026 > Last »
Up