ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 12
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs offensive struggles
O.city 09:32 AM 12-02-2019
Last 2 weeks have been pretty shitty on offense. Sure they scored yesterday, but that's against the shitbird Raiders and the Chiefs looked shitty doing it.

Mahomes doesn't look right to my eye. Anyone else notice he seemed to be laboring to even get back to hand the ball off at times? Is he still hurt?

He looks skiddish in the pocket (with the interior OL I guess I get it) but the Chiefs can't win in the playoffs without him being his normal self.

What's everyone's thoughts on whats going on? Am I just seeing shit?
[Reply]
Chief Northman 10:26 AM 12-02-2019
This place has become Homer Planet. Not too long ago, people were driven off of this forum for such attitudes.

If people can't be critical about the team they root for, then why bother being a fan if it is just a love-in? - one will ultimately be let down.

I am pleased that the defense has stepped up and won some games this season. They are slowly but surely gaining confidence. The 4th quarter offensive play-calling yesterday was on point in finishing out a game. Special teams had a strong showing and team DISCIPLINE was phenomenal.

However, the Chiefs need to persist at shoring up their weaknesses, and the franchise QB is not immune from criticism here. WTF was that cross-body pass to the middle of the field that should have been picked? His footwork is a mess, and he has the yips at times, throwing too early when he indeed has pocket protection. Yes, the interior O-line is sub-par, and there is not enough movement in the run game to find an effective balance, but from the outside looking in, it is as if there is not total buy-in to the offensive game plan by the players. Teams are taking away the deep stuff, and if Hill or Kelce get extra attention, the other receivers and backs are struggling to make plays.

I think it was rabblerouser who pointed out the formation and run calls that the Chiefs used with Thompson in the game - when Sherman and Bell are on the field, there are generally positive gains made in the run game and no "negative' plays. the RPO game is ok in doses, but teams are on to that league wide. It was good to see the change up in this regard, and it will be necessary for this team to overcome some of its flaws.....
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 10:27 AM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
Not really. They had a good start, then went into a shell for a while.
You described every blowout win since Andy Reid got here pretty much
[Reply]
rabblerouser 10:29 AM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by lcarus:
The throw Mahomes made that the defender dropped was the worst throw I've seen him make in a while. Shit happens. When you're a gunslinging assassin you're occasionally gonna kill a few women and children that were in the wrong place at the wrong time.
The one the wind caught.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:32 AM 12-02-2019

That's probably the fewest throws between 10-20 in a game he's ever played here. I'm thinking conditions definitely played a part there. That makes a lot of sense.
Go back and look at that cross the field attempt to Watkins that almost got picked. The wind caused that ball to drop drastically. The wind seriously hampered our offense. Reid found a way to keep the offense moving. It just wasn’t at the historic pace like last season.
[Reply]
O.city 10:33 AM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Go back and look at that cross the field attempt to Watkins that almost got picked. The wind caused that ball to drop drastically. The wind seriously hampered our offense. Reid found a way to keep the offense moving. It just wasn’t at the historic pace like last season.
They havent' been at that pace much this whole season though. I suppose regression to the mean is a real thing though and you shouldn't count on being historic from year to year for sure.

Talked to a buddy at the game, the wind definitely played a factor. I'm an idiot I guess.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 10:34 AM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by Chief Northman:
I think it was rabblerouser who pointed out the formation and run calls that the Chiefs used with Thompson in the game - when Sherman and Bell are on the field, there are generally positive gains made in the run game and no "negative' plays. the RPO game is ok in doses, but teams are on to that league wide. It was good to see the change up in this regard, and it will be necessary for this team to overcome some of its flaws.....
100% - and if we noticed it, I'm sure Belichick did, as well. I just hope Beiniemy pushes for more of it; as a former running back, I'm surprised it took this long for it to get implemented.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 10:35 AM 12-02-2019
I don't think Reid moved him more than usual, Pat left some pockets he shouldn't have.

The wind definitely played a part, but they've gotta be better to do anything going forward.
Flashed it. Saw a free designed rollouts and a few more RPOs where mahomes was taking the run. There was one scramble drill in particular where I saw him burst into the throw like I haven't seen him in a while. I really wonder if we saw so much less when it became clear how bad the wind was. Even kelce looked like he had no clue how to catch even the simple ones. That wind looked like a total killer.

I agree the offense and mahomes has to be much better. But I saw some things yesterday that made me feel like in better weather, we might have seen a fireworks show.
[Reply]
staylor26 10:37 AM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by Chief Northman:
This place has become Homer Planet. Not too long ago, people were driven off of this forum for such attitudes.

If people can't be critical about the team they root for, then why bother being a fan if it is just a love-in? - one will ultimately be let down.

I am pleased that the defense has stepped up and won some games this season. They are slowly but surely gaining confidence. The 4th quarter offensive play-calling yesterday was on point in finishing out a game. Special teams had a strong showing and team DISCIPLINE was phenomenal.

However, the Chiefs need to persist at shoring up their weaknesses, and the franchise QB is not immune from criticism here. WTF was that cross-body pass to the middle of the field that should have been picked? His footwork is a mess, and he has the yips at times, throwing too early when he indeed has pocket protection. Yes, the interior O-line is sub-par, and there is not enough movement in the run game to find an effective balance, but from the outside looking in, it is as if there is not total buy-in to the offensive game plan by the players. Teams are taking away the deep stuff, and if Hill or Kelce get extra attention, the other receivers and backs are struggling to make plays.

Oh shut the fuck up already with this homer shit it’s the same thing you were just doing when people simply suggested giving Darwin a shot and expressed optimism about the young RB.

Looks like the “homers” were right that he deserved and opportunity, and I don’t see how suggesting that field/weather conditions have had a negative impact on the Chiefs passing game the last couple games makes you a “homer”. It’s an obvious observation.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:38 AM 12-02-2019
They havent' been at that pace much this whole season though. I suppose regression to the mean is a real thing though and you shouldn't count on being historic from year to year for sure.

Talked to a buddy at the game, the wind definitely played a factor. I'm an idiot I guess.
Saw an interesting stat last week. Before yesterday’s game, Mahomes and Tyreek had only been on the field at the same for 19% of the offenses total snaps this season.

Injuries have played a big part this year unfortunately
[Reply]
MahiMike 10:45 AM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by Gravedigger:
It's gone back to the Alex Smith style of playcalling. Whether that's injury related, coaching, or the lack of WR's getting open as much, I'm not sure.
I see this as a good thing. At least to start the game. Teams are taking away the big play so we need to be able to do the underneath stuff too. Combine that with letting Pat keep it on the RPO and we can get a couple TDs then take some shots.
[Reply]
O.city 11:09 AM 12-02-2019
They also had quite a few drives yesterday that were extended because of Raider penalties.
[Reply]
notorious 11:11 AM 12-02-2019
Maybe I am. Wouldn't be the first time.

He just seems to be drifting backwards out of pockets.
You aren’t seeing things. Our line sucks and he’s running for his life.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 11:16 AM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by notorious:
You aren’t seeing things. Our line sucks and he’s running for his life.
Another indictment on Veach and Reid for continually ignoring the interior OL and OL deptth at OT.
[Reply]
CaliforniaChief 11:20 AM 12-02-2019
I was really encouraged by the "Darwin Drive" in the 4th quarter. The Raiders knew we were running and couldn't stop it. That will be HUGE later.

Also, last year's defense required an historic offense. This year's will require a good one, which we have. If the key players stay healthy, I think we'll be fine.
[Reply]
Red Beans 11:28 AM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by lcarus:
The throw Mahomes made that the defender dropped was the worst throw I've seen him make in a while. Shit happens. When you're a gunslinging assassin you're occasionally gonna kill a few women and children that were in the wrong place at the wrong time.
It was a dangerous throw to be sure, but being at the game, had he not been throwing it into the wind he had a good chance of making some chicken salad out of that one.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 12
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Up