ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 217 of 268
« First < 117167207213214215216217 218219220221227267 > Last »
Media Center>Star Wars Episode VIII SPOILERS thread
DaneMcCloud 03:28 PM 01-20-2016
For all things Episode VIII related info including spoilers.

The release date is now December 15, 2017.

The Official Synopsis from Star Wars.com

“In Lucasfilm’s Star Wars: The Last Jedi, the Skywalker saga continues as the heroes of The Force Awakens join the galactic legends in an epic adventure that unlocks age-old mysteries of the Force and shocking revelations of the past.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi opens in U.S. theaters on December 15, 2017.”

New footage in Japanese Trailer

[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:58 PM 01-10-2018
damn, son

[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 12:41 AM 01-11-2018
One way to unfuck the story, is a retcon reboot all the way to Episode I and Star Trek/ X-Men Days of Future Past/ Terminator the motherfucker with Palpatine as a Force Ghost fracturing the timeline. His consciousness travels back to his past self to find and kill Anakin's mother. Like a river the flow of time wants to happen thus Anakin will be born anyway to balance the Force. The events of this alternate universe will be different.

Fans will accept or forgive this idea to repair the damage done in the current continuity and the Skywalker legacy.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 02:25 AM 01-11-2018
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
2016 College Football Playoff National Championship

January 11, 2016

The Force Awakens dropped from 12 million to 3 million, a 75 percent drop.

It definitely has an effect.
There was no college football playoff national championship game last night.

$2,368,317

That's a 69.9% drop from last week.

"He's dead, Jim"
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 02:48 AM 01-11-2018
From this point forward, TFA added another 12.5% to its total. If, just for the sake of the discussion, we keep that the same, TLJ will end up at just under $650m, which would be a film to film drop of about $285m domestic. That drop would be more money than Despicable Me 3, 2017's current #8 film (Likely to end up as #9, because Jumanji looks like a shoe in to pass it) made domestically ($264.6m).

The foreign drop is even bigger. Right now, TLJ is about $486m less than TFA finished with, and only China's got any real shot at bringing in significant additional money. Right now, it looks as if TJL is going to make more than $400m less than TFA in the foreign markets. If that holds, TLJ is going to end up bringing in something to the tune of

285+400= $685m less than TFA.

which would put it at under $1.4b
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 06:53 AM 01-11-2018
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
One way to unfuck the story, is a retcon reboot all the way to Episode I and Star Trek/ X-Men Days of Future Past/ Terminator the motherfucker with Palpatine as a Force Ghost fracturing the timeline. His consciousness travels back to his past self to find and kill Anakin's mother. Like a river the flow of time wants to happen thus Anakin will be born anyway to balance the Force. The events of this alternate universe will be different.

Fans will accept or forgive this idea to repair the damage done in the current continuity and the Skywalker legacy.

[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 08:39 AM 01-11-2018

If you get creative and knowing some elements of the EU it could work.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:50 AM 01-11-2018
No time travel in Star Wars. No. Never.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 09:46 AM 01-11-2018
No time travel in Star Wars. No. Never.
There are two ways to course correct, time travel or setting up a multiverse.

Both are forgivable considering that TLJ is viewed as horrific as X-Men: The Last Stand in Fox's Marvel Universe.

BTW, X-Men 3's 61% audience rating dwarfs TJA on RT
[Reply]
Rausch 10:01 AM 01-11-2018
Originally Posted by bowener:
I had classes with the host of this show. She was cool as shit, and funny as **** when drunk. Andi was also a calendar girl back in those days (2006ish).
Ew.

No. NO!
Attached: WTF?!?.jpg (66.8 KB) 
[Reply]
Rausch 10:19 AM 01-11-2018
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Goddamn it really did tank hard.
Now the record holder for drop from week 1 to week 2.

Originally Posted by WIKIPEDIA:
The Los Angeles Times said the second-weekend drop was seasonal in the United States. Between May and July, the country's summer season, films have more significant drops than during the rest of the year. It reported that in May 2014, three opening blockbuster films—The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Godzilla, and X-Men: Days of Future Past—all had drops of over 60% where films earlier in the 21st century rarely had drops that steep. The newspaper cited possible reasons for the drops: that the films did not "inspire long-term moviegoing", and that alternative platforms such as Redbox, Netflix, and video on demand attracted film audiences who missed a film's opening weekend.[5] The Hollywood Reporter said in 2017, "Generally speaking, a superhero film can fall 60 percent," highlighting Wonder Woman's second-weekend drop of 45% as "scant" compared to others in the genre.[6]
So essentially the big advertising and name recognition got people to flood cinemas and go see TLJ. And they definitely did week 1.

Originally Posted by Cinema Blend:
The Last Jedi is set to have the biggest week-to-week drop at the box office, based on total dollar amount, in box office history. The film earned $220 million in its first weekend and dropped to $68 million in week two. That’s a $152 million drop. There are certain films that do so well on their first weekend that they fall off precipitously in week two to the tune of $100 million or more. Star Wars: The Force Awakens even dropped off by $149 million following its record-breaking opening weekend in 2015. But Star Wars: The Last Jedi is the first film to drop off by more than $150 million.
https://www.cinemablend.com/news

Star wars films are known for having repeat/return film viewings. These are also WAY down.

It appears that fans didn't like it when Disney ruined Marvel (Comics) and they see the exact same thing happening with Star Wars...
[Reply]
Bowser 12:18 PM 01-11-2018
:-) :-)

(nsfw - language)

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 01:01 PM 01-11-2018
Originally Posted by RINGLEADER:
I've been reading interviews with Rian Johnson all over the Internet doing damage control
Yeah, I see more and more of these types of interviews each and every day. He's hitting like every Podcast and YouTube Video program trying to explain away all of his poor decisions.

I just can't see how his trilogy remains greenlit. Maybe if someone else creates the story and writes the screenplay, as his direction was great and the sets were amazing, but as a storyteller?

I just don't see how Iger signs on off on it, especially if it leads to diminished returns on Solo, which IMO, is likely.
[Reply]
Rausch 01:15 PM 01-11-2018
Originally Posted by Bowser:
:-) :-)

(nsfw - language)

:-)

I'd watched this before but in the context of this thread it's fall down funny...
[Reply]
Chiefspants 03:13 PM 01-11-2018
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
Yeah, I see more and more of these types of interviews each and every day. He's hitting like every Podcast and YouTube Video program trying to explain away all of his poor decisions.

I just can't see how his trilogy remains greenlit. Maybe if someone else creates the story and writes the screenplay, as his direction was great and the sets were amazing, but as a storyteller?

I just don't see how Iger signs on off on it, especially if it leads to diminished returns on Solo, which IMO, is likely.
They should have Vince Gilligan pen the trilogy.
[Reply]
Red Brooklyn 03:37 PM 01-11-2018
I get that people want this to fail. I mean, I don't get it, but I GET IT. But the movie made 1.2 billion dollars on a 200 million dollar budget. I get that that's before marketing, etc, but that's also before merch/blu ray sales, too.

This movie was never going to make as much as The Force Awakens. And Disney/Lucasfilm has acknowledged that. I just don't understand how this movie is a "failure" by any conceivable rubric. It was the highest grossing film of 2017. It wasn't eve going to make TFA numbers and it didn't. But it was a staggering success.

Without all the condescending remarks and down-talking, can someone please, in plane, simple language, explain to me why this is a "bomb"?
[Reply]
Page 217 of 268
« First < 117167207213214215216217 218219220221227267 > Last »
Up