ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: If you saw the Last Jedi in theaters will you see the Rise of Skywalker in the theate
Yes 54 58.70%
No 38 41.30%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll
Page 9 of 17
« First < 56789 10111213 > Last »
Media Center>If you saw The Last Jedi in the theater do you plan on seeing The Rise of Skywalker?
BigRichard 07:00 PM 11-07-2019
I am just kind of curious to see how many people that saw the Last Jedi in theaters are going to see the new movie in theaters as well. Lets see if I can figure out how to do a poll or if this will be a failure on my part.
[Reply]
Frazod 04:46 PM 11-27-2019
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
There's been some talk of re-releasing the original films, especially since Disney owns the entire Fox catalog.

I think the biggest issue would be to clean up and digitize the originals. I have no idea what shape those are in because Lucasfilm has made so many changes and edits, which have been to the digital copies and not the film stock.

I'd imagine that they'll need to weigh the cost of cleanup and converting the originals to 4K before any reissues take place.

I have a good friend that works at Disney in the Archive department and if I hear this is moving forward, I'll definitely post.
I think that would be a step in the right direction toward placating millions of angry fans.
[Reply]
Mennonite 04:47 PM 11-27-2019
Originally Posted by Frazod:
The only thing I'm interested in at this point is them restoring the '77, '80 and '83 films to their original theatrical condition and releasing them on blu ray. I'd buy that. Nothing else.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harm...alized_Edition
[Reply]
Al Bundy 07:05 PM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I think that would be a step in the right direction toward placating millions of angry fans.
Why are so many guys angry about the current Star Wars films?
[Reply]
Chiefspants 07:29 PM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by Al Bundy:
Why are so many guys angry about the current Star Wars films?
GIANT RANT INCOMING:

For having one of the most storied franchises in history, Disney really had zero plan of how to handle this franchise.

They cast aside thousands of pages of what was once considered source material (some of it treasured), and let J.J. Abrams plagiarize A New Hope with zero reflection on how that would shape the new series.

I actually don't mind The Last Jedi but among it's biggest flaws are that its clear that J.J. Abrams and Rian Johnson had radically different interpretations of the new characters. The result is that J.J. Abrams, back for film 9 (he was never supposed to direct SW after film 7) felt the need to really, really reach for a new storyline (reviving a long-dead character), and this, if not handled carefully, could absolutely jeopardize one of the most iconic character journeys in the series (Anakin/Darth Vader).

Disney has been on the defensive too. Kathleen said they were always at a disadvantage because they had no "source material" (despite throwing away treasured novels when acquiring SW and no longer deeming it canon), and the reports that they were still filming four weeks before release indicates that Disney's recent comments could very well be damage control.

Luckily, The Mandalorian has paved the way for SW's obvious path forward - which is television filmed, written, and produced near the quality of some of TV's best in the last decade. The obvious difference are that these stories were storyboarded, planned out, and delivered in a writer's room, which never happened with the new movies. The fact that the writers of the movies did not sit down and deliver a 3 episode outline from the beginning is mind boggling - even moreso is that in Episode 7's script, JJ was obviously setting up for Luke Skywalker to be "Yoda like" in his mastery of the force. Rian threw all of that out by having Luke forget the force entirely (for Rian could not justify why a Luke so powerful would allow Han to die in Episode 7... which... is fair, and something J.J. obviously had not thought out when putting Luke inside his mystery box in the script). Another issue J.J. caused was that Poe Dameron (one of the most popular "new" characters heading into Ep. 8) was originally supposed to die 10 minutes into the first film. It was only when Oscar Isaac expressed his sadness that his character was dying so quickly (and likely, Disney realizing how ****ing good Isaac is as an actor) that they reversed course to make Oscar Isaac a regular cast member for the entire trilogy. The problem this created was that it overstuffed Ep. 8 and 9's plotlines, as it feels like it was tough for them to give both Poe and Finn something to do.

Honestly, the biggest sin of the revival was somehow not doing the most obvious thing the series needed to do... which was to reunite Luke, Leia and Han on the same screen. It seems like J.J. might be doing some weird force ghost voodoo in 9 (judging from the trailers) so it's possible he'll rectify this, it's just hard not to think that the final product could feel hollow at this point.

Ah well, Jon Favreau helped launch Marvel and seems to be following the same beats with The Mandalorian, so there's some new hope, as it were.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 07:59 PM 12-02-2019
When JJ was initially hired, he was going to write all three sequels and direct the first and maybe the last. But TFA was rewritten so many times and JJ bitched so much about needing to move his family to London for a year that KK hired Rian Johnson to write and direct XIII.

Abrams and Kasdan mapped out all three sequels before shooting on TFA even began but once Johnson was hired, Lucasfilm threw everything out the window for him.

I think that IX is going to be pretty cool from everything I’ve heard about the script and story. But Rey’s character will probably be polarizing for people that can’t get past the “Mary Sue” aspect.

My biggest issue with IX is the return of Palpatine. His return, at least from my perspective, negates Anakin’s redemption story and invalidates the idea that he’s The Chosen One because The Emperor is alive and very much in control.

It cheapens Anakin’s story and with that being the case, why are we even watching?
[Reply]
Raiderhater 06:46 AM 12-03-2019
When JJ was initially hired, he was going to write all three sequels and direct the first and maybe the last. But TFA was rewritten so many times and JJ bitched so much about needing to move his family to London for a year that KK hired Rian Johnson to write and direct XIII.

Abrams and Kasdan mapped out all three sequels before shooting on TFA even began but once Johnson was hired, Lucasfilm threw everything out the window for him.

I think that IX is going to be pretty cool from everything I’ve heard about the script and story. But Rey’s character will probably be polarizing for people that can’t get past the “Mary Sue” aspect.

My biggest issue with IX is the return of Palpatine. His return, at least from my perspective, negates Anakin’s redemption story and invalidates the idea that he’s The Chosen One because The Emperor is alive and very much in control.

It cheapens Anakin’s story and with that being the case, why are we even watching?

I really have not been following this all that closely so this may be something that is actually well known already but, do we know for certain that Palpatine is actually alive? Could his presence in the film be that of a Force ghost from the dark side?
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 02:03 PM 12-04-2019
Originally Posted by Raiderhader:
I really have not been following this all that closely so this may be something that is actually well known already but, do we know for certain that Palpatine is actually alive? Could his presence in the film be that of a Force ghost from the dark side?
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Raiderhater 04:38 PM 12-04-2019
Spoiler!

Spoiler!
I’m rather over it at this point. I’m going to watch this last one just because I’ve seen all of the others so I might as well finish it out. But I’m not terribly concerned about spoilers this go around.

Rather intriguing. Thank you.
[Reply]
ModSocks 05:00 PM 12-04-2019
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
GIANT RANT INCOMING:

For having one of the most storied franchises in history, Disney really had zero plan of how to handle this franchise.

They cast aside thousands of pages of what was once considered source material (some of it treasured), and let J.J. Abrams plagiarize A New Hope with zero reflection on how that would shape the new series.

I actually don't mind The Last Jedi but among it's biggest flaws are that its clear that J.J. Abrams and Rian Johnson had radically different interpretations of the new characters. The result is that J.J. Abrams, back for film 9 (he was never supposed to direct SW after film 7) felt the need to really, really reach for a new storyline (reviving a long-dead character), and this, if not handled carefully, could absolutely jeopardize one of the most iconic character journeys in the series (Anakin/Darth Vader).

Disney has been on the defensive too. Kathleen said they were always at a disadvantage because they had no "source material" (despite throwing away treasured novels when acquiring SW and no longer deeming it canon), and the reports that they were still filming four weeks before release indicates that Disney's recent comments could very well be damage control.

Luckily, The Mandalorian has paved the way for SW's obvious path forward - which is television filmed, written, and produced near the quality of some of TV's best in the last decade. The obvious difference are that these stories were storyboarded, planned out, and delivered in a writer's room, which never happened with the new movies. The fact that the writers of the movies did not sit down and deliver a 3 episode outline from the beginning is mind boggling - even moreso is that in Episode 7's script, JJ was obviously setting up for Luke Skywalker to be "Yoda like" in his mastery of the force. Rian threw all of that out by having Luke forget the force entirely (for Rian could not justify why a Luke so powerful would allow Han to die in Episode 7... which... is fair, and something J.J. obviously had not thought out when putting Luke inside his mystery box in the script). Another issue J.J. caused was that Poe Dameron (one of the most popular "new" characters heading into Ep. 8) was originally supposed to die 10 minutes into the first film. It was only when Oscar Isaac expressed his sadness that his character was dying so quickly (and likely, Disney realizing how ****ing good Isaac is as an actor) that they reversed course to make Oscar Isaac a regular cast member for the entire trilogy. The problem this created was that it overstuffed Ep. 8 and 9's plotlines, as it feels like it was tough for them to give both Poe and Finn something to do.

Honestly, the biggest sin of the revival was somehow not doing the most obvious thing the series needed to do... which was to reunite Luke, Leia and Han on the same screen. It seems like J.J. might be doing some weird force ghost voodoo in 9 (judging from the trailers) so it's possible he'll rectify this, it's just hard not to think that the final product could feel hollow at this point.

Ah well, Jon Favreau helped launch Marvel and seems to be following the same beats with The Mandalorian, so there's some new hope, as it were.
NEEEERD
[Reply]
ModSocks 05:07 PM 12-04-2019
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
Didn't watch TLJ after I saw some summaries and won't watch this shit. Outside the name Star Wars these POS's have nothing in common with the others so no need to watch.
:-)

I just don't understand this attitude. When i watch ANY Star Wars film, original or new, i've never walked away feeling like i just watched some artistic cinematic masterpiece.

Every single one of them is kinda hokey and silly. Fun and entertaining? Absolutely. But i mean c'mon, they're really not much better than your typical Hollywood sci-fi flick.

/ducks for cover
[Reply]
Chiefspants 05:39 PM 12-04-2019
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
NEEEERD
Fair enough
[Reply]
ModSocks 05:42 PM 12-04-2019
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
Fair enough
Haha i'm just pokin' at ya man.
[Reply]
Bowser 06:37 PM 12-04-2019
You want me to ban him from the thread, Chiefspants? Maybe hold him over the toilet so you can give him a swirlie?
[Reply]
ModSocks 06:41 PM 12-04-2019
Originally Posted by Bowser:
You want me to ban him from the thread, Chiefspants? Maybe hold him over the toilet so you can give him a swirlie?
[Reply]
Sorry 01:25 PM 12-07-2019
Originally Posted by Detoxing:

I just don't understand this attitude. When i watch ANY Star Wars film, original or new, i've never walked away feeling like i just watched some artistic cinematic masterpiece.

Every single one of them is kinda hokey and silly. Fun and entertaining? Absolutely. But i mean c'mon, they're really not much better than your typical Hollywood sci-fi flick.

/ducks for cover
To me they tried to be artsy in the last Jedi and failed miserably.id rather them hire a talented indie film maker
[Reply]
Page 9 of 17
« First < 56789 10111213 > Last »
Up