Media Center>Watchmen HBO
Sure-Oz 04:13 PM 05-08-2019
First teaser. Intrigued.

https://youtu.be/zymgtV99Rko
[Reply]
keg in kc 08:40 PM 10-21-2019
Originally Posted by vailpass:
:-)
I guess we're even, because that's my general response to anyone who liked Snyder's Watchmen movie.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 08:44 PM 10-21-2019
This could be quite awesome. Will be hard to match up with the Leftovers (probably even impossible really), but that was a good start.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 08:48 PM 10-21-2019
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Right now, it looks a little 'SJW-y' because it's setting up an alternate history, but I think that both sides are decrying and praising too early. There's still human dynamics and failings all around to explore. I think it's premature to say this show will be straight-up 'the world would be better off with xx, yy skin color in charge' and to deem it such prematurely would be insulting to the writers.
It's definitely premature. There was a lot going on in it, but the episode itself even takes a shot at the new gun control laws they have in place. Redford's policies (who is also clearly being depicted as a liberal president) also do not seem to be particularly successful from the look we've had at that society so far.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 10:28 PM 10-21-2019
I enjoyed the first episode. This takes place about 30 years after the comic ending. Curious what is up with the raining squids. No idea what is going on so far.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 10:33 PM 10-21-2019
Originally Posted by Sure-Oz:
I enjoyed the first episode. This takes place about 30 years after the comic ending. Curious what is up with the raining squids. No idea what is going on so far.
That's from the comics. Veidt [you'll find out], sought a plan to avert looming nuclear war between USA/USSR. He had a giant transdimensional squid attack NYC in order to draw the nations of the world together to fight it. Speculation is that the periodic rain of squid embryos is the fallout of that grand plan.

That's why LookingGlass asked the Kavalry suspect in The Pod if he thought interdimensional attacks were a secret government plot. [ie, Kavalry members think the entire attack was a government conspiracy/creation for population/social control, which . . . . :-)].
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 05:07 AM 10-22-2019
That's from the comics. Veidt [you'll find out], sought a plan to avert looming nuclear war between USA/USSR. He had a giant transdimensional squid attack NYC in order to draw the nations of the world together to fight it. Speculation is that the periodic rain of embryonic squid embryos is the fallout of that grand plan.

That's why LookingGlass asked the Kavalry suspect in The Pod if he thought interdimensional attacks were a secret government plot. [ie, Kavalry members think the entire attack was a government conspiracy/creation for population/social control, which . . . . :-)].
Ahhh...ok that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. I may have to pick up the trade of that now.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 05:35 AM 10-22-2019
Originally Posted by Sure-Oz:
that makes sense.
Even if 'embryonic squid embyos' is repetitively redundant. :-)

fixed.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:23 AM 10-22-2019
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
I enjoyed it. Didn't quite 'get' it all, but it would be disappointing for me if I did know everything after the pilot.

Ironically it turned out that the part that bothered me the most, the beginning, was based on real events in Tulsa that I'd never even heard about. As I watched I thought it was some over the top racial allegory they put together for the show as world building. And then I did some reading today and discovered how wrong I was.

Looking forward to seeing where it goes.
Yep, based on real events. I had no idea. Never heard of this before. I thought it was part of the alternate history of the show.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsa_race_riot
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 08:50 AM 10-22-2019

[Reply]
Sure-Oz 09:39 AM 10-22-2019
Even if 'embryonic squid embyos' is repetitively redundant. :-)

fixed.
Lol
[Reply]
Bowser 06:42 PM 10-22-2019
So is Jeremy Irons playing Veidt, or is he John in human form?
[Reply]
banecat 07:45 PM 10-22-2019
Originally Posted by Bowser:
So is Jeremy Irons playing Veidt, or is he John in human form?
Veidt
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 07:58 PM 10-22-2019
I thought it was excellent.

Cool setup, sweet action and the score was awesome.

Love how they just throw you right into the middle of this world without explaining much yet. The cop mask gimmick is creepy cool. They’ve got my attention for sure
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 08:03 PM 10-22-2019
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
I thought it was excellent.

Cool setup, sweet action and the score was awesome.

Love how they just throw you right into the middle of this world without explaining much yet. The cop mask gimmick is creepy cool. They’ve got my attention for sure
Heard the score is from NIN
[Reply]
vailpass 08:55 PM 10-22-2019
Originally Posted by keg in kc:
I guess we're even, because that's my general response to anyone who liked Snyder's Watchmen movie.
Fair enough. Like I said, I'm not a comic book guy but I like that movie. Dark and gritty with some really interesting characters.

The HBO series, well, anything that takes the lazy route of in your face social justice preaching is an automatic no-go for me.

You're right though, to each his own.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 9
< 123 4567 > Last »
Up