Page 5 of 5
< 12345
Nzoner's Game Room>Arthur Bryants Down to Original Location
gblowfish 10:17 AM 12-03-2019
Closing their KCK Legends location:
https://www.kmbc.com/article/kc-bbq-...Zkbcahm1bqcNm8
[Reply]
F150 12:18 PM 01-18-2021
Need to take pics of the original. At its best it was never good.
[Reply]
bdj23 12:25 PM 01-18-2021
It took a while, but after buying a bottle of AB original it started to grow on me. It's not near as bad as people make it out to be.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 12:33 PM 01-18-2021
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
Gates and Bryant's are KC authentic and KC original. Bryant's original sauce is designed primarily for beef. It's got vinegar and paprika in it. It's tart and sour, and if you grew up eating Kraft BBQ sauce or KC Masterpiece by Clorox with 80% corn syrup in it, you're not going to like Bryant's original. For poultry and pork, their sweet hot sauce is better. The fries and cole slaw are fabulous. Ribs are excellent, turkey and brisket all plentiful and flavorful. Gates prices have gone up again. They are expensive for what you get. The mixed plate is a good deal to try a little of everything. I think their standard sauce is the best on the planet. It's what I grew up with. Fries are good if you get them crispy. Slaw not as good as Bryant's. Gates service can be spotty. Somedays its really slow and disorganized. Bryant's seems to get the orders out quicker. If you are a tourist, you must try both someday and decide which one you like better.
Yeah I don’t get the hating on them. Sure they are not KC Joe’s but who else is up there with them? I like parts of others menus but across the board, they are the gold standard.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 12:36 PM 01-18-2021
Originally Posted by BDj23:
It took a while, but after buying a bottle of AB original it started to grow on me. It's not near as bad as people make it out to be.
Chef I work with says that the grit in the sauce really turns him off. I could see that being a pretty major reason.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 01:18 PM 01-18-2021
You didn't know about Clorox?

When Gary Berbiglia opened a chicken joint (Berbiglia's Roost) in OP and it failed, Gary, a former owner of Bryant's, died soon after from complications of diabetes and heart disease. Bryant's had been quietly put up for sale but there was
little or no market for Bryant's name or it's it's assets.

They are going to live out the lease with Bryant's niece's estate (BRYANT, DORETHA) and they will be selling the fixtures. Other than the sauce, the rest will be gone.

Want to lease/ buy? building? Sauce?

BRYANT DORETHA-TRUSTEE
Address: 1600 GENESSEE STE 225
City, State, Zip: KANSAS CITY, MO 64102-1090

If you buy Bryant's restaurants, AKA Brooklyn Barbeque you should have rights to the Bryant's name, the sauce recipe (as long as it's served on meat), and the lease of the Brooklyn property
Jerry Rauschelbach
816-231-1123

[Reply]
Hoover 01:20 PM 01-18-2021
At some point its all about ones expectations.

20-30 years ago when I was young and just started sampling KC BBQ I thought they were all great. Now at middle age, I'm a picky ass son of a bitch. Part of the problem is that a lot of us smoke ourselves, so it's harder and harder to impress me. Now my Mom and Dad would give some boiled meat and ketchup a good review.

Same thing happened to me and steaks. Now I don't order them when I go out unless I'm at a real deal legit steakhouse. For BBQ, I order things I'm not good at or don't attempt. I'm always ordering turkey, sausage, and Burnt Ends if they are known for them.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 5
< 12345
Up