ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>2022 free agency safety class:
Direckshun 12:53 AM 01-25-2022
Is looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaded.

Here's the list of "top free agents" from WalterFootball (I know):

Originally Posted by :
4. Marcus Williams, S, Saints. Age: 26.
Marcus Williams has emerged as one of the best safeties in the NFL, and yet he's still in his mid-30s. He'll continue to dominate in the secondary for the next five-plus years.

7. Jessie Bates, S, Bengals. Age: 25.
Jessie Bates is one of the best young safeties in the NFL. He's coming off a bit of a down year, but he should be able to rebound in 2022. He's only 25, so his future is very bright.

13. Quandre Diggs, S, Seahawks. Age: 29.
Quandre Diggs is one of the better safeties in the NFL. He's a well-rounded player, and he still has another year remaining in his 20s.

15. Justin Reid, S, Texans. Age: 25.
Justin Reid tends to be one of the top safeties in the NFL, though he's coming off an unusual down year. He'll certainly rebound, and he's only 25 to boot.

17. Marcus Maye, S, Jets. Age: 28.
Marcus Maye was an exceptional safety in 2020, but took a step backward last year before tearing his Achilles. The injury occurred during the middle of the season, so there's a good chance Maye will be back on the field for the 2022 opener.

18. Jordan Whitehead, S/CB, Buccaneers. Age: 25.
Jordan Whitehead has evolved greatly since being chosen in the fourth round of the 2018 NFL Draft. He's been a stellar defensive back for the Buccaneers, capable of playing safety and cornerback (mostly in the slot). He wasn't even 25 when he closed out his 2021 season.

29. Devin McCourty, S, Patriots. Age: 35.
Devin McCourty has been one of the top safeties in the NFL. However, he's now 35, so major regression will happen at some point in the near future.

36. Jayron Kearse, S, Cowboys. Age: 28.
Jayron Kearse was a surprise performer in 2021. He was a stellar force in the secondary in all regards, particularly in coverage.

39. Tyrann Mathieu, S, Chiefs. Age: 30.
Tyrann Mathieu is not the same dynamic safety from years ago, but he's still strong in coverage. He tends to miss many tackles, however, and he turns 30 this offseason.

58.DeShon Elliott, S, Ravens. Age: 25.
DeShon Elliott played just five games in 2021. The Ravens missed him, as he's a young, well-rounded safety.

65. Tracy Walker, S, Lions. Age: 27.
Tracy Walker was Detroit's best defensive back in 2021, though that's not really saying much. Still, he's a solid safety who has several years remaining in his prime.

71. Bobby McCain, S/CB, Redskins. Age: 29.
Bobby McCain is a solid starting defensive back who can play anywhere in the secondary, including safety, outside cornerback and slot corner.

77. Desmond King, CB/S, Texans. Age: 27.
Desmond King is a quality defensive back capable of playing outside or in the slot, and he can also play safety.

78. Xavier Woods, S, Vikings. Age: 27.
Xavier Woods isn't great in coverage, but he's a great tackler and run-supporting safety.

83. Jaquiski Tartt, S, 49ers. Age: 30.
The "lesser" of the two 49er safeties, Jaquiski Tartt is a big help in run support. He turns 30 this offseason.

91. Kareem Jackson, S, Broncos. Age: 34.
Kareem Jackson has been one of the better safeties in the NFL for years, but he finally showed his age a bit last year. He's now 34, so there could be more regression in the near future.

96. Lamarcus Joyner, S, Jets. Age: 31.
Lamarcus Joyner played only nine snaps in 2021 before tearing his tricep. He'll be healthy in 2022, but at 31, he may lose a step.

107. Jason McCourty, S/CB, Dolphins. Age: 35.
The usually reliable Jason McCourty struggled through a foot injury last year before being placed on injured reserve. He turns 35 just prior to the 2022 season.
Thoughts?
[Reply]
kccrow 04:07 AM 01-25-2022
I've been pretty vocal about Marcus Williams and Jordan Whitehead dependent on how this team wants to use or continue to use their safeties.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 08:42 AM 01-25-2022
The guys that are 25ish.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:43 AM 01-25-2022
Marcus Williams. No way can the Saints afford to keep him.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 01:46 PM 01-25-2022
If you're going to make someone the highest paid safety in the NFL, make it Marcus Williams, IMO.

I like Bates and Reid, too.
[Reply]
RunKC 05:00 PM 01-25-2022
Always liked Desmond King. His versatility screams Spags
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:06 PM 01-25-2022
Williams, Bates, Reid, or Whitehead.
[Reply]
kcbubb 05:46 PM 01-31-2022
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
Williams, Bates, Reid, or Whitehead.
Wouldn’t it be better to franchise HB for one year and try and draft a replacement? We can’t fix everything in one year. Replacing frank clark and finding a dominant de should be priority #1. Making our dline dominant will help spags. And our dbs won’t be a problem with a dominant dline.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 06:14 PM 01-31-2022
Originally Posted by kcbubb:
Wouldn’t it be better to franchise HB for one year and try and draft a replacement? We can’t fix everything in one year. Replacing frank clark and finding a dominant de should be priority #1. Making our dline dominant will help spags. And our dbs won’t be a problem with a dominant dline.

Sure. Except there are no great DEs beyond von Miller, and there are a bunch of excellent safeties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:14 PM 01-31-2022
Why? For the same money relatively speaking you can get 5 years younger and then not have to hope somebody develops.
[Reply]
kcbubb 06:36 PM 01-31-2022
Why? For the same money relatively speaking you can get 5 years younger and then not have to hope somebody develops.
I’d rather invest our money in dline and corner and you can’t do both with what we have invested on the offensive side. We gotta resign/extend our cbs too.
[Reply]
kcbubb 06:46 PM 01-31-2022
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Sure. Except there are no great DEs beyond von Miller, and there are a bunch of excellent safeties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like chandler Jones and ogbah. We need a dominant dline more than anything else now that we Have Orlando brown. If you don’t have a dominant dline the d will be ranked at the bottom of the league. If you have a dominant dline, we have a top 10 defense and compete for a Super Bowl every year. Spags can’t do it without a top de.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:51 PM 01-31-2022
I’d rather invest our money in dline and corner and you can’t do both with what we have invested on the offensive side. We gotta resign/extend our cbs too.
For what we pay Frank Clark we could have TWO Ogbahs. We could certainly sign Von Miller AND Ingram, and probably another okay player. And that's leaving Mathieu's money still on the table.

Corners...I'm not for paying corners honestly. All they're allowed to do is run alongside receivers and if they so much as look at their guy wrong the flags come out. I'd rather not pay Ward as if he's Jalen Ramsey, and someone may well do that. Veach has repeatedly found gold at corner late in the draft, and we should continue to do that. Sneed I'd pay-because he has a LOT of versatility and a multi-faceted skillset. He's unique.

I'd rather pay for pass rushers and then unique secondary players; guys who can do multiple things at a high level. I'm certainly not paying Mathieu on any kind of long term deal, and the tag will just piss him off. He's on the wrong side of 30, and small. I would totally pay Williams, Whithead, or Reid-all of whom are like 5 years younger, bigger, and just as good if not better.

In THIS NFL, the best way to stop an opponent's passing game is to get to the QB, rush his reads, and force bad throws.

Our d-line was 28th? in sacks. That's not nearly good enough.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:07 AM 02-01-2022
Let's put it this way-

Assuming we keep Spags, and I would assume that's happening.

His system is complicated and requires a high football IQ vet that can be his QB and communicate on the back end. You can't expect any rookie to fill that role. You NEED a vet who's been there and done that.

Boundary corners are important; I'm not saying they're not. But they're also not really allowed to do much under the current rules. Some length is good, some speed is good, but basically they can bump at the line, and then they can run alongside the receivers. Now; you CAN draft a player and sometimes even later that has some length and some speed and can do that in year one. We've seen it already with Sneed, and with Fenton, and even to an extent Ward.

I'd spend the money on Williams, Whitehead, or Reed to take Mathieu's role. I'd spend money on TWO DE's (Ogbah and Ingram would be a good pair). And I'd draft D-line and CB.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:21 AM 02-01-2022
Let's put it this way-

Assuming we keep Spags, and I would assume that's happening.

His system is complicated and requires a high football IQ vet that can be his QB and communicate on the back end. You can't expect any rookie to fill that role. You NEED a vet who's been there and done that.

Boundary corners are important; I'm not saying they're not. But they're also not really allowed to do much under the current rules. Some length is good, some speed is good, but basically they can bump at the line, and then they can run alongside the receivers. Now; you CAN draft a player and sometimes even later that has some length and some speed and can do that in year one. We've seen it already with Sneed, and with Fenton, and even to an extent Ward.

I'd spend the money on Williams, Whitehead, or Reed to take Mathieu's role. I'd spend money on TWO DE's (Ogbah and Ingram would be a good pair). And I'd draft D-line and CB.
This is me, dog.

I'm going to run a full offseason, including mock draft, cuts, FA signings, extensions, etc. at some point, maybe today.

Ogbah or Derek Barnett would be a great add, and you pair that with Melvin Ingram or Charles Harris (who really shined with the Lions this year, the first year he's been used primarily as a 3-point stance, weakside DE).
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up