ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Nzoner's Game Room>"What chance do you think they have of coming back and winning this?" A story.
Mama Hip Rockets 05:50 PM 01-13-2020
"What chance do you think they have of coming back and winning this? What percent?" my friend Ethan asked.

"One," I responded. It was early in the second quarter, and they were down 24-0. Nothing was going right. Players were dropping passes, fumbling punts, getting punts blocked, blowing coverages, missing blocks. It was the worst possible start you could imagine.

I thought about it for a moment, then continued. "But they have Mahomes, so really, ninety-nine percent."

See, there's something special about this kid. The Chiefs haven't lost a game by more than seven points since he took over two years ago. So a 24-point deficit with more than 40 minutes of clock left didn't feel insurmountable the way it did before. In fact, coming back didn't even feel improbable. It almost felt expected.

We were hosting a playoff watch party at our house. We were all sitting there - dejected, quiet, shocked. A few things were said - "What is happening? I can't believe this. What is wrong with them? I don't understand what I'm watching." But the words "Game over" were never uttered. We've all seen Mahomes enough to know that hope is never lost when he's in the game.

So, we tried some of the typical things that sports fans try when things aren't going their way. Superstitions that we try to convince ourselves actually affect the outcomes of games. Turn hats around. Change hats. Switch seats. My daughters even got in on the act. They made little flags that said, "Go Chiefs!" and told us to wave them around. My six-year-old found a Chiefs jersey and hat to put on. Beaming with pride, she showed me her outfit and crawled into my lap.

When Mecole Hardman sparked the team with a long kick return, the energy returned to the room. Moments later, Mahomes threw a strike to Damien Williams to get the Chiefs on the board. The room erupted in celebration. I've never seen people so excited about a touchdown that resulted in their team still being down by 17 points. But I felt it, and I think a lot of us did. This was the beginning of the comeback.

I told my daughter she had to stay in my lap. We all admonished each other not to move from the seats in which we sat during the touchdown or change anything at all. We had to cling to what we had. Our fortunes were changing.

On the ensuing drive, the Texans inexplicably called a fake punt from their own 31-yard line, which Daniel Sorensen snuffed out perfectly. Houston coach Bill O'Brien later admitted that he didn't feel any lead was safe against the Chiefs, and said they felt like they needed to score 50 points to win. (Spoiler alert: even 50 points wouldn't have been enough.)

It took the Chiefs fewer than 30 seconds to score again. Mahomes hit Travis Kelce for a short touchdown. Kelce spiked the ball with authority. Arrowhead went berserk, as did everyone in the room at our party. I ran around the room holding my daughter in one arm while high-fiving everyone with the other. She asked me if I could carry her with one hand again later. I told her I would next time I scored.

On the ensuing kickoff, Sorensen came up huge again, popping the ball right into teammate Darwin Thompson's arms. A couple plays later, I was running around with a child in one arm again as Mahomes connected with Kelce.

The Chiefs had to actually work for the next one, starting from their own 10-yard-line. No problem. Mahomes orchestrated a masterful 90-yard drive, and hit Kelce for a touchdown for the third straight drive. In ten minutes of game time, the Chiefs had transformed a 24-point deficit into a 4-point lead.

At this point, Kansas City had broken the will and spirit of the Houston Texans. There was no coming back from this catastrophe. The Chiefs continued to dominate the remainder of the game, scoring touchdowns on an astonishing seven consecutive drives. Ethan joked that we needed to outline the positions of all the chairs in our living room in tape so we could put them in the exact same spots next week. Or maybe he wasn't joking.

Two more games. Let's go.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 06:40 PM 01-13-2020
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
I was at the game with Clay, Rabble, 007, and Stevie, and we were all like, "WTF is going in here?".
You know what was weird?

We looked at each other several times. You, me, steve.

At no point did I see "we're done life is so depressing" in your faces.

I saw despair, but not resignation.

We have a Mahomes.
[Reply]
Flying High D 06:42 PM 01-13-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
I never gave up hope. There were many in discord chat that were doom and gloom (looking at you Glory Dayz, and Pete - amongst others).

Never lost faith. Never will as long as we have Mahomes.
You lead the way on keeping us focused in chat. Thank you. You willed those red helmeted motherfuckers back to the win. You had supporters but those doubters were brutal. Thanks again for leading us to the promise land.
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:43 PM 01-13-2020
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:
I was numb. Completely numb. I wasn't upset when we were down, but I was resigned to the fact that our season was about to end. My wife is 7.5 months pregnant with our first and I started to think about shifting every bit of my energy in that direction. It brought me some peace and serenity.

I was at the game with Clay, Rabble, 007, and Stevie, and we were all like, "WTF is going in here?" Hardman had the great return and everyone cheered, but it felt kinda hollow. Mahomes strikes with a TD two plays later and the crowd erupts. I still felt kinda empty and said I thought we had some hope if we were down by 2 TDs at the half. Rabble said, "They're gonna put up 28pts in the second quarter like they did against the Raiders." We hugged and I dreamed of that outcome.

Shortly thereafter, it happened.
Congrats on the kiddo man. There is room in your life for the chiefs. Especially when the little ones want to cheer for the chiefs because daddy does.
[Reply]
Eleazar 06:43 PM 01-13-2020
At 24-0 I never thought of turning it off. It was definitely stunned silence around here, but I was just doing the math... we could score and get a stop and score again, and we're right back in it. I was hoping it could be a 10 point game at halftime.

The main thing that made me not lose heart was the fact that we weren't getting beat, it was three fluke plays that put us behind the 8 ball. It wasn't anything the Texans were doing.
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:53 PM 01-13-2020
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
At the end of the first qtr I was thinking 15%

At the end of the 2nd qtr I was thinking 105%
Eh I don’t know.

The big takeaway I got from this one is this team is different than any other team I’ve seen. At least in Chiefs red.

How many times have we fucked off at the beginning and the D gets us back in only to fold up at the end? Then we get to hear about it wasn’t their fault, they were gassed, etc etc etc. there hasn’t been a team I’ve cheered for that wins that game. The comeback in the AFCCG last year wasn’t nearly this dramatic and the defense still shit the fucking bed. Hell even the first Houston game this year they ran the ball down our throats and got a stop and we never got the ball back.

And for the love of fuck if anybody gives me the TOP shit again I’m killing everyone. The D was on the field A LOT. Especially while the game was in doubt. And they bowed up tough as hell. I don’t even think Marty fielded a team as tough as this one. And how many times have we seen the offense go into a shell and say oh well. Not our day? I know Mahomes doesn’t put up with that noise. But whatever. He couldn’t make the defense start covering before 10 yards on 3rd and 10.

This team is different.
[Reply]
Bearcat 06:55 PM 01-13-2020
Originally Posted by Eleazar:
At 24-0 I never thought of turning it off. It was definitely stunned silence around here, but I was just doing the math... we could score and get a stop and score again, and we're right back in it. I was hoping it could be a 10 point game at halftime.

The main thing that made me not lose heart was the fact that we weren't getting beat, it was three fluke plays that put us behind the 8 ball. It wasn't anything the Texans were doing.
In the past, that always felt like begging to the football gods.... "well, if this happens and then this, they might have a chance!"

Not anymore though.
[Reply]
BWillie 06:56 PM 01-13-2020
I was quite dejected. Friends were texting me mocking the Chiefs. Saying they sucked and the Texans are better.

I replied, nothing that has happened has anything to do with the Texans being good or not, or the Chiefs being bad. Just an incredible unfortunate turn of events.

I'll admit, I didn't think the game was over. But I always think of probabilities in my head, on anything. I knew that a team was 10 point favorites, but had a 24-point deficit in the 2nd quarter probably had a 1-2% chance to win the game, if that. But I knew we had Mahomes.

And then the second quarter happened. That was the most excitement I've witnessed in a sporting event since the Royals won the World Series. That comeback is what legends are made of. Mahomes cemented himself as THEE QUARTERBACK of the NFL.

Once the Chiefs went up 28-24 before the half, I proclaimed to everyone that this one is OVAH. It indeed was, even though everyone said I would jinx them by saying that.

Have no fear. Andy & Mahomes will take us to the promised land.

THIS IS THE YEAR

THIS IS OUR TIME
[Reply]
Rasputin 06:56 PM 01-13-2020
I'm giving kudos to the crowed when we were down 21 they were still very loud from what I could tell and we held them to a field goal. Then again loud and we snuffed a fake punt.
[Reply]
Skyy God 07:03 PM 01-13-2020
There was a shrill blond soccer mom in my section. Screamed classless shit (in a terrible accent) like “break their f’ing legs”.

Probably not a coincidence the Chiefs came back after she had a timeout with security.
[Reply]
mdchiefsfan 07:08 PM 01-13-2020
I’ve always been a fan of Smith and what he brought to the Chiefs but, without question, if he was the QB yesterday, the temptation to turn off the TV would’ve been tremendous.

Mahomes put our concerns at ease within the same quarter our concerns began to exist. Amazing.
[Reply]
DTVietnam 07:14 PM 01-13-2020
I was shocked and part of me was thinking "here we go again"

but the saving grace was it was so early and we were getting the ball to start Q3...Kept thinking if we could just score twice. 24-14 at half and we get the ball we're right back in it. .

but after that kick return and then the Kelce catch where he got up and went nuts... I knew we were gonna win

23 seconds in on this video..but watch the first 40 seconds

[Reply]
Mama Hip Rockets 08:15 PM 01-13-2020
Originally Posted by Rasputin:
I'm giving kudos to the crowed when we were down 21 they were still very loud from what I could tell and we held them to a field goal. Then again loud and we snuffed a fake punt.
Yeah, the crowd was amazing yesterday.
[Reply]
rydogg58 08:30 PM 01-13-2020
The first touchdown I wasn't even concerned about. After the second touchdown, I still wasn't worried. It was right after Hill dropped the punt was when shit got bad in my house.

This is the second year that my two youngest daughters have watched every game with me. My middle one, she's a junior in high school, has been bitten by the Chiefs bug bad. I told her last year after the AFCCG loss that we were both the same age when we watched our first AFCCG loss. She didn't know very much about the technical aspects of the game, but she knew all the players, what positions they played, and she knew that Patrick was a special player. She said, "we got Patrick now, we'll win next year."

I shrugged. I was upset about the loss, but I was actually happy because I'd found something to bond with my daughter over. If you have teenage daughters, you'll know what I mean. I was upset, but for me, the season I shared with her made me feel like I had won something.

Fast forward to Hill's muffed punt. I told my kid, watch out...Hill's back there. We watched him drift back a few steps. I had a weird feeling in my gut, something just didn't seem right about the way Hill was tracking that ball. And then, he drops it. I just buried my head on the couch. My daughter screams "AGGGHHHH!" and jumps up from the couch. It was the scream that I knew all too well from all the years I suffered as a Chiefs fan, and in that moment, I was almost sorry that she was now doomed to live her life as I had.

But then, I heard a crash, some glass shattering, and the living room lights flickered and popped. I lifted my head from the couch and saw that when she jumped up, she accidentally punched the ceiling fan light out. She had this confused look on her face, but she still couldn't turn away from the TV. I wasn't sure if she was confused about the broken glass or the fact that Houston now had the ball at the 6 yard line. She said she was sorry and that she didn't mean to. I laughed, said it was all right, and we paused the game while we cleaned up all the glass. Luckily, she wasn't cut.

We unpause the game, Texans scored the field goal, and she looked over at me and said, "Dad. You aren't wearing your Derrick Thomas jersey. Go get it on." She was right, I wasn't. I didn't think it mattered, but at her insistence, I dug it out of the closet and put it on. I told her I was going outside to smoke and she never even looked at me. I get about halfway through my cigarette and I can hear her running through the house. I thought...well shit...something good happened. She opened the door and yelled that Mecole almost ran the kickoff back!

Moral of the story, she now FIRMLY believes in lucky jerseys.

I want us to win it all. But these last two years, the game has sort of taken a back seat for me. I used to watch Chiefs games by myself, but now when I watch I find that I get more enjoyment out of watching my daughter react to the game. I love how she has become such a huge fan of the team I grew up watching. It makes me proud.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 08:34 PM 01-13-2020
Originally Posted by rydogg58:
The first touchdown I wasn't even concerned about. After the second touchdown, I still wasn't worried. It was right after Hill dropped the punt was when shit got bad in my house.

This is the second year that my two youngest daughters have watched every game with me. My middle one, she's a junior in high school, has been bitten by the Chiefs bug bad. I told her last year after the AFCCG loss that we were both the same age when we watched our first AFCCG loss. She didn't know very much about the technical aspects of the game, but she knew all the players, what positions they played, and she knew that Patrick was a special player. She said, "we got Patrick now, we'll win next year."

I shrugged. I was upset about the loss, but I was actually happy because I'd found something to bond with my daughter over. If you have teenage daughters, you'll know what I mean. I was upset, but for me, the season I shared with her made me feel like I had won something.

Fast forward to Hill's muffed punt. I told my kid, watch out...Hill's back there. We watched him drift back a few steps. I had a weird feeling in my gut, something just didn't seem right about the way Hill was tracking that ball. And then, he drops it. I just buried my head on the couch. My daughter screams "AGGGHHHH!" and jumps up from the couch. It was the scream that I knew all too well from all the years I suffered as a Chiefs fan, and in that moment, I was almost sorry that she was now doomed to live her life as I had.

But then, I heard a crash, some glass shattering, and the living room lights flickered and popped. I lifted my head from the couch and saw that when she jumped up, she accidentally punched the ceiling fan light out. She had this confused look on her face, but she still couldn't turn away from the TV. I wasn't sure if she was confused about the broken glass or the fact that Houston now had the ball at the 6 yard line. She said she was sorry and that she didn't mean to. I laughed, said it was all right, and we paused the game while we cleaned up all the glass. Luckily, she wasn't cut.

We unpause the game, Texans scored the field goal, and she looked over at me and said, "Dad. You aren't wearing your Derrick Thomas jersey. Go get it on." She was right, I wasn't. I didn't think it mattered, but at her insistence, I dug it out of the closet and put it on. I told her I was going outside to smoke and she never even looked at me. I get about halfway through my cigarette and I can hear her running through the house. I thought...well shit...something good happened. She opened the door and yelled that Mecole almost ran the kickoff back!

Moral of the story, she now FIRMLY believes in lucky jerseys.

I want us to win it all. But these last two years, the game has sort of taken a back seat for me. I used to watch Chiefs games by myself, but now when I watch I find that I get more enjoyment out of watching my daughter react to the game. I love how she has become such a huge fan of the team I grew up watching. It makes me proud.
Another amazing post. I love this!!

Sports are all about the personal experience. It'll be amazing when we win the Super Bowl but you can't top the journey there and these steps along the way. They're what will really leave an imprint.
[Reply]
ModSocks 08:46 PM 01-13-2020
Originally Posted by TinyEvel:
(Texans up by 7 after blown coverage.)

"It was a blown coverage, here we come. 7-7 any minute"

(More dropped passes and blocked punt... Texans 14-0)

"Well that was a fluke. We'll come back and make this a 7-point game again. Slow and steady"

(Muffed punt and Texans go up 21-0)

"This feels like same ol' Chiefs. Well. It could get really ugly. I ain't gonna get mad."

(another blown series and Texans kick a FG to go 24-0)

"Okay, mad now. It was a nice season. Guess it just ain't our luck today. I'll enjoy the next three weeks of free time"

(Hardman runs the KO back to the HOU 40)

"WE WILL WIN THIS GAME! NOBODY TALK TO ME UNTIL WE'RE IN THE LEAD!"
Yeah, that was me too. Only thing i'd change is that at 21-0, i was fucking pissed. I still thought we had a chance, but i was pissed. And then the Hardman return followed by the big Kelce catch and you just knew it was coming. Bill O'Brien knew it was coming too.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up