ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 11
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official 2019-2020 Missouri Tigers Basketball Thread***
dlphg9 09:50 AM 11-06-2019
So since no one else is going to start this thread I guess I will. We have a few new players that hopefully can contribute big time. This year's incoming class is led by 4 star recruit Tray Jackson, a 6' 8" PF, that was ranked as the number 84 recruit in the nation. Included in the class are two 3 star recruits Mario McKinney and Kobe Brown.

Coming off a disappointing 2018-2019 season in which they went 15-17, but lost the best player on the team before the season started, hopefully they can get back to the NCAA tourney again and maybe win a couple games. This is a big year for Martin and hopefully this is the year everything comes together.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 09:16 PM 11-26-2019
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
People on here seem to have no concept that rebuilding program takes 3-5 years. I always get shit for it in the college football thread same can apply to your basketball team. Martin did a very good job his first year, other theb tonight they've been pretty competitive. That's all you can really ask for this year.
Well this is year 3 and they're showing zero growth, both individually and as a team. Oh, and the recruiting is the worst in the SEC.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 09:33 PM 11-26-2019
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
Well this is year 3 and they're showing zero growth, both individually and as a team. Oh, and the recruiting is the worst in the SEC.
They've been pretty competitive hard to judge a team building playing night 2 early in the season. Tired legs and all.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:47 PM 11-26-2019
People on here seem to have no concept that rebuilding program takes 3-5 years. I always get shit for it in the college football thread same can apply to your basketball team. Martin did a very good job his first year, other theb tonight they've been pretty competitive. That's all you can really ask for this year.
Not when you’re paying a guy top 20 salary, which they are. This isn’t football. They shouldn’t be struggling to be a bubble team. And the recruiting has careened downhill since year 1.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 10:12 PM 11-26-2019
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Not when you’re paying a guy top 20 salary, which they are. This isn’t football. They shouldn’t be struggling to be a bubble team. And the recruiting has careened downhill since year 1.
Its early but they've been competitive. You look for positives like that and go into year 4 with high expectations. If the record doesnt reflect that then you should start to question.

It's not viable to can him this year and expect to find a competent coach that will come to your program and get you where you need to go.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:17 PM 11-26-2019
Its early but they've been competitive. You look for positives like that and go into year 4 with high expectations. If the record doesnt reflect that then you should start to question.

It's not viable to can him this year and expect to find a competent coach that will come to your program and get you where you need to go.

They can’t fire him until after next season with the way his contract is structured. I wouldn’t advocate for canning him now.

He’s just incredibly disappointing, and his style/brand of basketball is incredibly boring to watch, and has never maximized the talent he had.

But that’s par for the course with him. He wasted a lot of talent at Tennessee and Cal, too.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 10:22 PM 11-26-2019
They can’t fire him until after next season with the way his contract is structured. I wouldn’t advocate for canning him now.

He’s just incredibly disappointing, and his style/brand of basketball is incredibly boring to watch, and has never maximized the talent he had.

But that’s par for the course with him. He wasted a lot of talent at Tennessee and Cal, too.
I was going to say his performance thus far has been pretty consistent with his overall coaching career. A tournament appearance here and there sprinkled in with some NITs. Certainly you guys knew what you were signing up for when you hired him no?
[Reply]
OKchiefs 10:26 PM 11-26-2019
They've been pretty competitive hard to judge a team building playing night 2 early in the season. Tired legs and all.
Again, zero growth. It's a broken record every game. They start out sloppy and turn the ball over early resulting in being down big to open the game. They eventually clamp down on defense and claw back in to the game but against halfway decent teams it simply isn't enough with CMs offense and their crappy shooting. The rest of the non-con schedule isn't exactly a cakewalk and they have a brutal start to SEC play. They're going to have to scratch and claw just to get to 17-18 wins which probably isn't enough for the tournament. Good luck trying to get recruits in 2021 when you yet again show no results during the season. Why would any serious recruits even want to come and play for this awful offensive system? It's like trying to get a wide receiver to choose between playing with Mahomes and Derek Carr.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 10:28 PM 11-26-2019
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
Again, zero growth. It's a broken record every game. They start out sloppy and turn the ball over early resulting in being down big to open the game. They eventually clamp down on defense and claw back in to the game but against halfway decent teams it simply isn't enough with CMs offense and their crappy shooting. The rest of the non-con schedule isn't exactly a cakewalk and they have a brutal start to SEC play. They're going to have to scratch and claw just to get to 17-18 wins which probably isn't enough for the tournament. Good luck trying to get recruits in 2021 when you yet again show no results during the season. Why would any serious recruits even want to come and play for this awful offensive system? It's like trying to get a wide receiver to choose between playing with Mahomes and Derek Carr.
Its November man
[Reply]
OKchiefs 10:40 PM 11-26-2019
Its November man
Well, it just seems like a continuation of the past 2 years. I can't really think of any players other than Geist who have shown growth. Tilmon is the same player he was 3 years ago. Watson and Pickett are somehow worse than they were as Freshmen. Maybe I'm wrong, but I have zero faith in Cuonzo Martin. Like I said, the athletic department is an embarrassment. Football and basketball are collectively a complete joke.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 10:49 PM 11-26-2019
I was going to say his performance thus far has been pretty consistent with his overall coaching career. A tournament appearance here and there sprinkled in with some NITs. Certainly you guys knew what you were signing up for when you hired him no?

They didn’t pay him top 20 coaches salary to be 18-22 wins with a ceiling on the bubble.

His advocates were certain his recruiting would improve with proximity to his hometown of St. Louis, and that he would evolve his offense to something akin to Iowa State under Hoiberg.

He has done neither.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 11:09 PM 11-26-2019
They didn’t pay him top 20 coaches salary to be 18-22 wins with a ceiling on the bubble.

His advocates were certain his recruiting would improve with proximity to his hometown of St. Louis, and that he would evolve his offense to something akin to Iowa State under Hoiberg.

He has done neither.
Well if you're expecting a guy to be better than he has been after several years in coaching I can tell ya how that ends.

Regarding Hoiberg hes done wonders here offensively so far despite a pathetic team with true freshmen as bigs who cant rebound or play defense. Gonna be damn good team in a few years.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 11:21 PM 11-26-2019

He has done neither.
Bullshit on the St. Louis recruiting - Tilmon, Watson, Smith, McKinney, Pickett. You lost out on two studs to the bluest of the blue bloods and a kid who grew up idolizing Orlando Pace so he chose Ohio State.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 11:31 PM 11-26-2019
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
Bullshit on the St. Louis recruiting - Tilmon, Watson, Smith, McKinney, Pickett. You lost out on two studs to the bluest of the blue bloods and a kid who grew up idolizing Orlando Pace so he chose Ohio State.
That's kinda... odd
[Reply]
Rams Fan 05:41 AM 11-27-2019
Cuonzo’s recruiting style doesn’t rely on having a roster filled with multiple one and dones.

Give him time. He’s a good recruiter and he is what he is at this point, a clean, above average coach who will have a consistent floor(tournament with NITs) and a relatively low ceiling. There’s nothing wrong with that but to act as if he’s anything else at this point is misjudging what his track record is as well as what the program aspires to do. If Mizzou wanted to change those expectations, they should have hired a different coach or have Cuonzo significantly change his recruiting style.

And basketball is like football in that it takes time, unless you recruit one and dones to fill the majority of your roster.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 07:41 AM 11-27-2019
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
The state had 5 Top 150 kids this year, all in the greater St. Louis area, and Mizzou got none of them. Fletcher went to Kentucky, Love to UNC, but the other three went to K-State and Creighton.

It's a fair criticism.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 11
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Up