ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1021 of 1208
« First < 21521921971101110171018101910201021 1022102310241025103110711121 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Fire Me Boy! What's For Dinner? Thread
Buehler445 08:45 AM 07-15-2015
Since the other one got too big, let's keep the food truck rolling. Whacha got?

Vol 2. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285408
[Reply]
SAUTO 05:40 PM 07-13-2020
Originally Posted by Coogs:
That is really not an option for me... as far as I know. We have a local butcher, but I have never seen that kind of sausage on their shelves/menu. I may ask next time.
You can buy the same cheddar jalapeno brat as slaps sells from krisman's on 5th iirc.
And they ship.
[Reply]
SAUTO 05:41 PM 07-13-2020
Do you make your own sausage? I absolutely love the jalapeno and cheese sausage from the BBQ joints, and would like to duplicate that at home. Doesn't really happen with store bought sausage. Looking at maybe starting to make my own, and kind of looking at this recipe as a starting point.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/th...ausage.273322/
I haven't yet but I'm down for anything at this point.
[Reply]
SAUTO 05:44 PM 07-13-2020
That is really not an option for me... as far as I know. We have a local butcher, but I have never seen that kind of sausage on their shelves/menu. I may ask next time.
I'm going to also say that my local out in the sticks butcher is where I get all my sausage and brats. He keeps a great selection. Bologna and hot dogs too.

I smoked some pineapple brats yesterday from him in fact. They were great
[Reply]
cooper barrett 06:23 PM 07-13-2020
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
I don't know why, but I'll eat hot wings all day long but hot sauce on my bbq can kindly go **** off. Same way with vinegar based shit and dumping a wad of coleslaw allover everything.

Too distracting from the true flavor.
So no sunny side eggs either?

I don't like vinagar based but I do like the acid it brings
[Reply]
Baby Lee 08:07 PM 07-13-2020
Improvised, semi-WT/semi-upscale, Cuban sammy with plain rippled chips. Arnold Palmer w/lots of ice.

Mike's Killer 21-seed bread, 'buttered' with Duke's mayo, into skillet to brown/crisp.

Layer in deli-ham, Sam's club habanero cheddar, bread'n'butter pickle sliced longways, thin-sliced onion and stone-ground mustard. Sprinkle a little paprika and spritz a little lime. Close it up and brown both sides well, covered to make sure the inside gets melty.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 08:09 PM 07-13-2020
Originally Posted by cooper barrett:
So no sunny side eggs either?

I don't like vinagar based but I do like the acid it brings
Vinegar is for people that can't let the meat do the work. Sauces should complement the food and fuck if anything vinegar does the trick.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:29 AM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
Vinegar is for people that can't let the meat do the work. Sauces should complement the food and fuck if anything vinegar does the trick.
And molasses is subtle?

Any sauce is essentially used to cover for mediocre meat. Barbecue as an 'art form' is designed to cover for mediocre meat. Pork shoulders and briskets are tough, ass cuts of the animal and they're the things most commonly smoked.

Hell, dry rubs and smoke are designed to avoid 'letting the meat do the work'. The only thing where the meat truly does the heavy lifting is steaks (so anyone that tells you they grill a great steak is uniformly full of shit - it's steak; ain't anything to it).

My preference is strongly in favor of Memphis style barbecue so I typically avoid sauces outright. That said, when I use them, I typically prefer a vinegar based sauce. The molasses heavy stuff is just going to overpower anything whereas vinegar bases are similar to salt in that they will pull out additional flavors as opposed to just making them.
[Reply]
Pablo 11:21 AM 07-14-2020
What DJ said.

Usually after I pull my pork I throw a shot of ACV in with a little salt and whatever drippings I've got left over and mix it all up. My FIL coats everything with bbq sauce and while I'm still gonna eat it I don't prefer the overpowering flavor. And it's usually sweet baby rays anyhow. Of course everyone likes their own method but a little vinegar goes a long ways with pulled pork imo. Don't put bbq sauce on the sandwich. Just pickles and mustard. I am a lover of all things vinegar though. Rib mop is apple juice and a little ACV with crushed red pepper. I do glaze those with light bbq sauce so I definitely think it has its place.
[Reply]
srvy 12:40 PM 07-14-2020
Those sound more like Carolina Red or yellow Q sauce. Memphis I think is much like KC except a bit thinner with a bit more spice. Carolina is heavy on cider vinegar. Arthur Bryant was a Memphis transplant to KC. His sauce was based on passed down family recipe.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:04 PM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by Pablo:
What DJ said.

Usually after I pull my pork I throw a shot of ACV in with a little salt and whatever drippings I've got left over and mix it all up. My FIL coats everything with bbq sauce and while I'm still gonna eat it I don't prefer the overpowering flavor. And it's usually sweet baby rays anyhow. Of course everyone likes their own method but a little vinegar goes a long ways with pulled pork imo. Don't put bbq sauce on the sandwich. Just pickles and mustard. I am a lover of all things vinegar though. Rib mop is apple juice and a little ACV with crushed red pepper. I do glaze those with light bbq sauce so I definitely think it has its place.
I use cayenne instead of crushed red so I can spritz it, but otherwise I use the same thing. If I have a little more time I'll simmer it in a small sauce pot to meld all those flavors and then strain it. When I do that I'll throw a little honey in there or a little Tiger Sauce just to make the flavor a little more complex. Both help create a nicer bark, IMO.

A mop can make the rub 'bleed' a little bit whereas a good spritz gets better distribution and keeps your rub completely intact.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:08 PM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by srvy:
Those sound more like Carolina Red or yellow Q sauce. Memphis I think is much like KC except a bit thinner with a bit more spice. Carolina is heavy on cider vinegar. Arthur Bryant was a Memphis transplant to KC. His sauce was based on passed down family recipe.
I've never heard of a 'Memphis sauce'. To my mind, Memphis 'que is just a dry rub and maybe you put some barbecue sauce on the plate to dip in if you get a chewy spot.

Chubby's barbecue down in Hayti is just a shack of a place but they have little squeeze bottles of a vinegar/crushed red pepper blend and as far as I know that's their only 'sauce'. Their beef is mediocre but they do good ribs and pulled pork. I've always associated their style with general 'deep south' barbecue rather than the Carolinas, but I could just flat be wrong there.
[Reply]
srvy 01:14 PM 07-14-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I've never heard of a 'Memphis sauce'. To my mind, Memphis 'que is just a dry rub and maybe you put some barbecue sauce on the plate to dip in if you get a chewy spot.

Chubby's barbecue down in Hayti is just a shack of a place but they have little squeeze bottles of a vinegar/crushed red pepper blend and as far as I know that's their only 'sauce'. Their beef is mediocre but they do good ribs and pulled pork. I've always associated their style with general 'deep south' barbecue rather than the Carolinas, but I could just flat be wrong there.
Memphis sauce is always on the side or over a sammie. Any KC BBQ joint should serve you sauce on the side if ask. If they won't I wouldn't go back.
[Reply]
srvy 01:19 PM 07-14-2020
As for mopping, in my opinion, its just another Texas cheat especially on beef. Brisket doesn't need anything but salt and pepper.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 01:22 PM 07-14-2020
And had no tomato's

Picture from inside AB's BBQ

[Reply]
cooper barrett 01:24 PM 07-14-2020
I season my water pan, but if I mop it's broth fatty broth.

As for mopping, in my opinion, its just another Texas cheat especially on beef. Brisket doesn't need anything but salt and pepper.

[Reply]
Page 1021 of 1208
« First < 21521921971101110171018101910201021 1022102310241025103110711121 > Last »
Up