ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 13
< 123 4567 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>-- Talk to me about Texas Tom's and your experiences there (past/present)
Simply Red 02:22 PM 03-18-2018
Talk to me about Texas Tom's and your experiences there (past/present)

I have great memories of this place. Those plastic army figures encapsulated inbetween booths inside translucent plastic casing, swimming in sand (few will remember those)

We had one on 7-hwy.

Feel free to discuss Taco Via as well, here.

If you're from the Joplin/Carthage area or SE Kansas, maybe discuss Taco Town?

I was reminded of these places when I ate at Del Taco yesterday (here in Atlanta) and noticed they served fries w/ Tacos and offerend Burgers on their menu.

Del Taco was very good - nothing like the crap it once was when it left the Atlanta Burbs in the mid nineties - this 'new' one just opened. They're back w/ a new menu and attitude! - DelTacoReviewBrah

[Reply]
chinaski 03:15 PM 03-18-2018
Originally Posted by banecat:
What about Baja Fresh, El Pollo Loco, Freebirds, Green Burrito, Taco Cabana, Taco Del Mar, Taco Republic or Taco Time? Anyone ever had any of these?
El Pollo Loco is great. It’s real food, with healthy offerings like broccoli, corn, good salads...it’s considered fast food, but I would put it a click above. Good stuff, wife and I eat there once a month.

Baja Fresh is good. I like the Chicken Ultimo burrito and fish tacos. Decent salsa bar. It’s good food.

We have Freebirds here, but I’ve never been.

While these chains are pretty good, the countless mom and pop Mexican joints in SOCAL are way better.
[Reply]
Simply Red 03:19 PM 03-18-2018
Need some Taco Town comments - it is in Carthage. It's in line w/ all of these others.
[Reply]
alpha_omega 03:25 PM 03-18-2018
Don’t remember anything specific about the food. Just remember there was a Texas toms (with big hat) somewhere on Blue Ridge. I’m sure I’ve eaten there at some point back in th day, but it must not have been that memorable.

Also....the taco burger at Taco Via is the finest fast food Mexican available. Taco burger and a nacho with peppers....outstanding.
[Reply]
alpha_omega 03:27 PM 03-18-2018
Originally Posted by kc rush:
Went to the Texas Toms on Blue Ridge Blvd just north of 87th a couple times as a kid.....
Ha...that’s the place.
[Reply]
Monkey God 03:31 PM 03-18-2018
I still do Taco Via runs to OP just because...of course no visit is complete without doing a sauce shot.
[Reply]
Simply Red 03:51 PM 03-18-2018
Originally Posted by Monkey God:
I still do Taco Via runs to OP just because...of course no visit is complete without doing a sauce shot.
Runs may not be the best word to use :-)
[Reply]
Simply Red 04:24 PM 03-18-2018
reasons Taco Bell lost its burst over the years:

No more green onions

no more black olives

went to jack blend cheese and of lesser quality

not as good of seasoning in beef, lower quality beef.

hits like bellbeefer and enchirito no longer available.

Menu item designs are non appetizing and trying too hard.
[Reply]
ptlyon 04:36 PM 03-18-2018
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
reasons Taco Bell lost its burst over the years:
Why it still has burst:

Chili cheese burritos
Mexican pizzas
Cinnabon bites
[Reply]
Pablo 04:39 PM 03-18-2018
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Not to go full cooper, but back in the mid to late 90's, I worked at VIP Touchless carwash on Mastin and College and would race over to the Taco Via on Antioch for my 30 minute lunch. I'd get a taco, a chicken burrito, and a nacho w/ jalapenos with loads of that sauce.
:-)

You know he's got a connection and a seven paragraph story to share.
[Reply]
Simply Red 05:11 PM 03-18-2018
Originally Posted by ptlyon:
Why it still has burst:

Chili cheese burritos
Mexican pizzas
Cinnabon bites
Never had that burrito - they DO need to stop over-steaming their burritos. They're gooey and not good - (yet, another thing they're not doing well) Del Taco gets this right. Just barely steamed.

Mexican Pizzas were better when they had black olives atop.

Cinnabon bites are good. yes.
[Reply]
Simply Red 05:13 PM 03-18-2018
Originally Posted by Pablo:
:-)

You know he's got a connection and a seven paragraph story to share.
I don't mind most of his stories - but he's definitely that way. He's basically harmless - but 1 out of about 20 posts are WTF material. I'm sure mine are too though.
[Reply]
chinaski 05:19 PM 03-18-2018
Menu item designs are non appetizing and trying too hard.
I think most fast food can fall into the trying too hard category. Instead of focusing on doing a few things really well, they complicate things and have way too many items, subsequently quality suffers. Take In-N-Out for example, simple menu, quality ingredients with a fairly compensated staff = a consistently good product with clean restaurants and repeat business.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 05:29 PM 03-18-2018
Last time I had Texas Tom's was at a shitty gas station off front st. The burrito was ok but I'm surprised I didn't get food poisoning.

Taco John's is the best fast food taco joint.
[Reply]
Simply Red 05:42 PM 03-18-2018
Originally Posted by chinaski:
I think most fast food can fall into the trying too hard category. Instead of focusing on doing a few things really well, they complicate things and have way too many items, subsequently quality suffers. Take In-N-Out for example, simple menu, quality ingredients with a fairly compensated staff = a consistently good product with clean restaurants and repeat business.
I tend to agree.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 06:05 PM 03-18-2018
Originally Posted by chinaski:
I tend to agree.
Eh, goes both ways. For example, Quiznos versus Jimmy Johns.

I like Jimmy Johns because they keep it simple, 3-4 kinds of meat, 2 kinds of bread, mustard, mayo. All their ingredients are usually top notch as a result.

I also like Quiznos because they offer variety. All sorts of breads and cheeses and wild condiments, and the toaster. Keeps things from getting boring.

Or take Strouds versus Cheesecake Factory. Again, one focuses on specialization, one specializes in variety. The more important factor is execution.

I will agree though, that Taco Bell is pushing the concept of variety to the extreme. With their waffle tacos and Mountain Dew-rito Cool Ranch Deep-Fried Diablo Blasters.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 13
< 123 4567 > Last »
Up