ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 13
< 12 345612 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>-- Talk to me about Texas Tom's and your experiences there (past/present)
Simply Red 02:22 PM 03-18-2018
Talk to me about Texas Tom's and your experiences there (past/present)

I have great memories of this place. Those plastic army figures encapsulated inbetween booths inside translucent plastic casing, swimming in sand (few will remember those)

We had one on 7-hwy.

Feel free to discuss Taco Via as well, here.

If you're from the Joplin/Carthage area or SE Kansas, maybe discuss Taco Town?

I was reminded of these places when I ate at Del Taco yesterday (here in Atlanta) and noticed they served fries w/ Tacos and offerend Burgers on their menu.

Del Taco was very good - nothing like the crap it once was when it left the Atlanta Burbs in the mid nineties - this 'new' one just opened. They're back w/ a new menu and attitude! - DelTacoReviewBrah

[Reply]
chinaski 02:49 PM 03-18-2018
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:

Del Taco is definitely several notches ahead of Taco Bell. Their macho tacos and burritos are light years beyond the Taco Bell offerings and their breakfast burritos are good, too.

I usually hit Del Taco a few times a year.
Hell yeah it is. Taco Bell gives me the runs, Del Taco doesn’t. Huevos Rancheros breakfast burrito is legit. I love the Spicy Jack Chicken Quesadilla and crinkle fries. I usually hit up the Del Taco on Del Rosa Ave off the 210 on the way back from the mountain. :-)
[Reply]
Simply Red 02:51 PM 03-18-2018
for what it's worth - I went w/ the #9 - Fries, Coke, Beef & Cheese burrito and a fully stuffed standard taco. It was super filling - wasn't cheap - but that's okay - $7.73ish i think.
[Reply]
KCUnited 02:52 PM 03-18-2018
I'm a pretty big Texas Tom's (Linwood Ave) fan. I moved nearby in my early 20's and hit it late at night or when skating through midtown during the day. I also had a buddy that lived over by KC Med and we'd hit the one on Rainbow before they converted it into a bar named Downings (2000 I think; awesome place) which was ultimately leveled and developed into apts. Things the Linwood location excelled at were their piping hot tots and tenderloin sandwich.

I came back to KC in Feb 2017 for a funeral after the Linwood location reopened after many years of being closed and drunken Hasselhoff'd a late night Texas Tom's (Linwood) session inside the Holiday Inn downtown. I snapped a pic by hotel desk light to capture the moment. Tenderloin sandwich, burrito, tots, and that taco sauce (not as good as Via's).

[Reply]
carcosa 02:53 PM 03-18-2018
Never fucking heard of it!!!
[Reply]
Simply Red 02:55 PM 03-18-2018
Originally Posted by carcosa:
Never ****ing heard of it!!!

[Reply]
Simply Red 02:55 PM 03-18-2018
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
I'm a pretty big Texas Tom's (Linwood Ave) fan. I moved nearby in my early 20's and hit it late at night or when skating through midtown during the day. I also had a buddy that lived over by KC Med and we'd hit the one on Rainbow before they converted it into a bar named Downings (2000 I think; awesome place) which was ultimately leveled and developed into apts. Things the Linwood location excelled at were their piping hot tots and tenderloin sandwich.

I came back to KC in Feb 2017 for a funeral after the Linwood location reopened after many years of being closed and drunken Hasselhoff'd a late night Texas Tom's (Linwood) session inside the Holiday Inn downtown. I snapped a pic by hotel desk light to capture the moment. Tenderloin sandwich, burrito, tots, and that taco sauce (not as good as Via's).

Thank you United - that's a great contribution.
[Reply]
KCUnited 02:57 PM 03-18-2018
Not to go full cooper, but back in the mid to late 90's, I worked at VIP Touchless carwash on Mastin and College and would race over to the Taco Via on Antioch for my 30 minute lunch. I'd get a taco, a chicken burrito, and a nacho w/ jalapenos with loads of that sauce.
[Reply]
Simply Red 02:59 PM 03-18-2018
Not to go full cooper, but back in the mid to late 90's, I worked at VIP Touchless carwash on Mastin and College and would race over to the Taco Via on Antioch for my 30 minute lunch. I'd get a taco, a chicken burrito, and a nacho w/ jalapenos with loads of that sauce.
Del Taco has elements of Via. Fully on-board with Del Taco.
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 03:00 PM 03-18-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Not about TXTom or Tvia, but I finally figured out what was nagging me about a bit of dining history in KC.

For those who are familiar with the Blue Ridge Paul's Drive-In, does anyone know if the history of the building predates Paul's itself?

I ask, because the roofline always reminded me of something, and I recently saw a little clip on the history of Dogs'n'Suds. Said that their original restaurants were designed by a local architecture student [who went on to work at Frank Lloyd Wright's architecture firm]. And it's pretty distinctive. It's the only place that comes to mind with that specific V-shape to its roof.

Oh the memories of Dog-N-Suds!!! Good times !!:-)
[Reply]
KCUnited 03:01 PM 03-18-2018
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
Del Taco has elements of Via. Fully on-board with Del Taco.
I hit Del Taco for the first time in PHX last year and enjoyed it. Definite Via comparison.
[Reply]
Simply Red 03:09 PM 03-18-2018
I hit Del Taco for the first time in PHX last year and enjoyed it. Definite Via comparison.
yes
[Reply]
banecat 03:09 PM 03-18-2018
What about Baja Fresh, El Pollo Loco, Freebirds, Green Burrito, Taco Cabana, Taco Del Mar, Taco Republic or Taco Time? Anyone ever had any of these?
[Reply]
KCUnited 03:10 PM 03-18-2018
Speaking of Via, I was back in KC for work last Summer. We were at our Olathe office and sharing a car with some people who came in from all over the country. Fiending Taco Via and knowing I may never get another shot at it, I convinced some of the best minds in the company and my boss to drive over to the Olathe Taco Via location for lunch. They were all good sports but fucking hated it and likely shit their asses off later that day. I on the other hand, was in hawg fucking heaven (I changed it up with the combo burrito and went with 2 nachos). Snapped a pic.

[Reply]
Bugeater 03:13 PM 03-18-2018
Originally Posted by banecat:
What about Baja Fresh, El Pollo Loco, Freebirds, Green Burrito, Taco Cabana, Taco Del Mar, Taco Republic or Taco Time? Anyone ever had any of these?
No, no, no, no, no, no, no, and no.

Although I do have a vague recollection of a Taco Time being here at one time.
[Reply]
kc rush 03:14 PM 03-18-2018
Went to the Texas Toms on Blue Ridge Blvd just north of 87th a couple times as a kid. I'm assuming it was food poisoning, because I was puking my brains out each time. We never ate there again.

I do remember they had a sensitive sensor hose at their drive through so you could activate the ding if a couple people rode over it with their bikes. When I was 13-14, we'd set it off, order food and take off.

We also used to run over ketchup and mustard packs and spray the back of their building.

I was a piece of shit back then.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 13
< 12 345612 > Last »
Up