ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 251 of 268
« First < 151201241247248249250251 252253254255261 > Last »
Media Center>Star Wars Episode VIII SPOILERS thread
DaneMcCloud 03:28 PM 01-20-2016
For all things Episode VIII related info including spoilers.

The release date is now December 15, 2017.

The Official Synopsis from Star Wars.com

“In Lucasfilm’s Star Wars: The Last Jedi, the Skywalker saga continues as the heroes of The Force Awakens join the galactic legends in an epic adventure that unlocks age-old mysteries of the Force and shocking revelations of the past.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi opens in U.S. theaters on December 15, 2017.”

New footage in Japanese Trailer

[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:48 PM 03-19-2018
The force is strong with this one.

[Reply]
notorious 11:02 AM 03-20-2018
:-)
[Reply]
Fish 03:39 PM 03-20-2018
Yup...

[Reply]
Red Brooklyn 02:51 PM 03-21-2018
One of those things affects the other. And Luke didn't kill him in his sleep. He didn't even try. He had a fleeting moment of weakness that he instantly regretted and it cost him.

I totally get not liking the movie for a lot of reasons. But I think getting hung up on this one thing is missing the point.

But whatever. Obviously a lot of people agree with you. And nothing I say is going to change or sway that.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 03:49 PM 03-21-2018
Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn:
One of those things affects the other. And Luke didn't kill him in his sleep. He didn't even try. He had a fleeting moment of weakness that he instantly regretted and it cost him.

I totally get not liking the movie for a lot of reasons. But I think getting hung up on this one thing is missing the point.

But whatever. Obviously a lot of people agree with you. And nothing I say is going to change or sway that.
+1
[Reply]
Fish 04:00 PM 03-21-2018
Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn:

Right.... that was just a fleeting moment of weakness...

He swung his fucking lightsaber to end his life. Kylo had to block it. That's not a fleeting moment of weakness. That's attempted murder. It was stupid as hell, and did not belong in the story.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 04:05 PM 03-21-2018
Originally Posted by Fish:

He swung his fucking lightsaber to end his life. Kylo had to block it. That's not a fleeting moment of weakness. That's attempted murder. It was stupid as hell, and did not belong in the story.
That's Kylos twisted interpretation of it, isn't it? We saw the scene 3 times, and the 3rd was the actual one. That was the 2nd one.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 04:44 PM 03-21-2018

He swung his ****ing lightsaber to end his life. Kylo had to block it. That's not a fleeting moment of weakness. That's attempted murder. It was stupid as hell, and did not belong in the story.
That was Kylo's bastardization, not the actual story.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 04:48 PM 03-21-2018
Fish so fucking wrong...:-)
[Reply]
Fish 08:44 PM 03-21-2018
Like I'm the only one to notice this and how it ruined the characterization of Luke. It was shit. The film took a perverse pleasure in shitting on the ideals of classic characters, just for a cheap gotcha moment.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 09:02 PM 03-21-2018
Like I'm the only one to notice this and how it ruined the characterization of Luke. It was shit. The film took a perverse pleasure in shitting on the ideals of classic characters, just for a cheap gotcha moment.
It didn’t actually happen....
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:08 PM 03-21-2018
It wasn't a cheap gotcha. It was a main pillar of the story.

Luke was a dumb ideal driven kid. As he has grown both in experience and use of the force, he learned that blind ideals don't necessarily lead to utopia. He defeated the big bad and the galaxy is still mired in shit.

He grew up, the world isn't black and white, good and evil, whatever. There are shades of gray, gradients, fringes. As such, he's jaded. The shit he did as a kid he doesn't do now. The shit he blindly believed as a kid he can't buy into now.

It resonated with me. I was an overly idealized kid when I watched ANH. I've grown in experience in a similar ways. Some of my best laid plans have went to fuck. I've poured my soul into shit and been soundly defeated (Like his Jedi temple). It worked for me. I get that most people hated it, but it should have worked.

Look at some of the stuff Marvel has put out. Daredevil S2 with Punisher as the redeemable bad guy was the most successful TV series Marvel has done. Jessica Jones has a similar, but far less good character. The Purple Man was definitely a baddie, but when they dove into his backstory, there was definitely some empathy. Hell Barnes was all out good guy - bad guy - good guy in Captain America, which Winter Soldier and Civil War are universally heralded. House of Mouse has made damn good money by backing off the binary good and evil stories and dealing with more complex adult themes.

Applying it to TLJ, it makes good sense. The younger fans could buy into the younger characters gallivanting on their ideals, and the older fools like me can relate to the journey the original trilogy characters have been on. All this while explaining how we got from ROtJ to TFA. I get that it went over like fuck on a stick, but to say it is an approach without merit is simply being a butthurt fanboy.
[Reply]
Why Not? 10:23 PM 03-21-2018
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
For me it's the following:

1. Rogue One
2. A New Hope
3. The Empire Strikes Back
4. The Phantom Menace
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. Return of the Jedi
7. The Force Awakens
99. The Last Jedi

I know that a lot of people hate on TPM due to Jar Jar but Palpatine's backstory, Darth Maul, young Obi Wan and especially Qui-Gon Jinn are just epic, IMO.

The third act, with Padme leading the Naboo military while Obi Wan and Qui-Gon are battling Darth Maul while a space battle is happening simultaneously is one of the greatest Star Wars acts, IMO.

It's not as great as the third act of Rogue One but it's pretty close, IMO.
Totally agree on your ranking of Rogue One.
[Reply]
jjjayb 10:35 PM 03-21-2018
Originally Posted by sully1983:
Jar Jar Abrams is such a little SJW twat lol. Apparently if you didn't like The Last Jedi or The Force Awakens for that matter, you are just "threatened by women" . Reminds me of that cuck Ghostbusters' reboot director.

https://movieweb.com/last-jedi-backl...ened-by-women/

"Star Wars is a big galaxy, and you can sort of find almost anything you want to in Star Wars. If you are someone who feels threatened by women and needs to lash out against them, you can probably find an enemy in Star Wars. You can probably look at the first movie that George (Lucas) did and say that Leia was too outspoken, or she was too tough. Anyone who wants to find a problem with anything can find the problem. The internet seems to be made for that."
They overdid it with the amount of women in the movie. It felt forced to me. Geez, let's show the world that we're not misogynists by cramming in as many women as we can! Girl Power!!!!! If that makes me "threatened by women" so be it. It just didn't feel natural. It felt forced.
[Reply]
notorious 06:21 AM 03-22-2018
I didn’t notice the woman angle. I guess it didn’t bother me.
[Reply]
Page 251 of 268
« First < 151201241247248249250251 252253254255261 > Last »
Up