ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 8 of 82
« First < 45678 91011121858 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Restaurants of yesteryear
Simply Red 08:33 PM 11-01-2006
What Restaurants did you grow up around? I'm not talking super fancy and yes fast-food counts. What distinctive memories do you associate with them?

Mine?

Taco Via-(the lit up menu of the various taco plates displayed on the wall), WhiteCastle-On a paper plate with fries and Pepsi, Arthur Treachers(off Noland), Tippins(off Noland), Perkins(the free toy well), Country Deli(awesome local deli to Blue Springs heated sandwiches on Sourdough buns), Zarda BBQ and Dairy, FunHouse Pizza(of Course)(Dark. Video- Games,Electonic Riding Bull and 25-cent Taco night) Annes Sante Fe.

Keep in mind I never see these anymore living in Georgia.

[Reply]
DanT 09:14 AM 11-02-2006
The closest restaurant to my family's house in KC is the Gates and Son on Swope Pkwy and the Paseo, down the hill from Paseo High. I remember it as a place that was open very late, with great food, free coffee and a big mural of a bigeyed cow. I also remember Mr. Gates as being a generous and kind man to the kids in the neighborhood. I vaguely remember that there was some sort of snack shop at the same site before Gates came along, back around 1970 or so.

P.S. Gates has since moved a little bit to the west, following a dramatic remodeling of Brush Creek and the streets around there.
[Reply]
Alton deFlat 09:14 AM 11-02-2006
I would go to Burger Chef when I was in college and eat lunch for $1.00.

I used to also love the burgers at Peter Pan in Pittsburg, KS. I didn't realize until a few years ago, that Peter Pan restaurants morphed into Braums.

Braums / Peter Pan
[Reply]
Alton deFlat 09:16 AM 11-02-2006
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Burger Chef was bought out by Hardees who was bought out by Carl's Jr. [while they still retain the Hardee's branding in established markets].
I remember when I worked at Hardee's in HS finding some ancient Burger Chef promotional materials and training tapes in the back of the store room.
I didn't know that. I guess that's why they tore down our Burger Chef and built a Hardees.... which is now a Burger King.
[Reply]
Redrum_69 09:19 AM 11-02-2006
IN and Out burger...cept they still have them on the west coast
[Reply]
siberian khatru 09:19 AM 11-02-2006
Originally Posted by ChiefsFan4Life:
Anyone in KC remember a roast beef place a while ago called Rax? I think there was one on like 87th near Antioch or something. My parents used to go there all the time
Ah, yes, I remember those (not in KC, but elsewhere).
[Reply]
siberian khatru 09:20 AM 11-02-2006
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Burger Chef was bought out by Hardees who was bought out by Carl's Jr. [while they still retain the Hardee's branding in established markets].
I remember when I worked at Hardee's in HS finding some ancient Burger Chef promotional materials and training tapes in the back of the store room.
Thanks.
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:20 AM 11-02-2006
I'm not sure why, but the whole "Burger Chef and Jeff" ad theme really rankled me. There was something about it that I really didn't like, though I can't put my finger on it.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:22 AM 11-02-2006
Can you be nostalgic about somethings that's only been gone a couple of years?
If so, I miss Casa Gallardo Grill at the Galleria every time I get a jonze for really really good Tex-Mex.
Fuggin' Urban Outfitters.
[Reply]
Dartgod 09:22 AM 11-02-2006
Griff's Hamburgers is another place that is all but extinct.

[Reply]
Dartgod 09:24 AM 11-02-2006
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I'm not sure why, but the whole "Burger Chef and Jeff" ad theme really rankled me. There was something about it that I really didn't like, though I can't put my finger on it.
Good Lord, I'd forgotten all about that commercial.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:25 AM 11-02-2006
Originally Posted by ChiefsFan4Life:
Anyone in KC remember a roast beef place a while ago called Rax? I think there was one on like 87th near Antioch or something. My parents used to go there all the time
Rax's sammiches were decent, but their salad/hot food bar was great.
A smaller version of your typical Ponderosa/Golden Corral spread in a FF setting, but with better fare and tighter quality control.
[Reply]
BigOlChiefsfan 09:28 AM 11-02-2006
Spanish Gardens in Mission. Great greasy TexMex food. They closed the restaurant and just make chips/tortillas now

The Streetcar named Desire @ 49th and Main, KCMO. Best bluecheese burger I ever had. They moved the old streetcar to Crown Center, but the burgers never tasted the same.

Mom's Diner on Sante Fe in Olathe.

Vista Burger in Lawrence/Manhattan/Emporia.
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:29 AM 11-02-2006
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
Griff's Hamburgers is another place that is all but extinct.

I was actually just thinking about Griff's. For some reason, my sister really liked that place, and I preferred McDonald's. I viewed Griff's thick rippled french fries as a waste of french-fry potential. So any time my parents wanted to go to fast food, my sister would lobby for Griff's and I would lobby for a) McDonald's or b) anywhere other than Griff's.
[Reply]
Redrum_69 09:31 AM 11-02-2006
My favorite restaurant ever...

Baby Lee's moms restaurant...I'm a regular at the Y's...her pink taco bar is to die for, every saturday night is all-you-can-eat bearded clam bar, and at the end of the night she always gets my cream pie.
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:32 AM 11-02-2006
Originally Posted by Redrum_69:
My favorite restaurant ever...

Baby Lee's moms restaurant...I'm a regular at the Y's...her pink taco bar is to die for, every saturday night is all-you-can-eat bearded clam bar, and at the end of the night she always gets my cream pie.

Was that on Glendale?
[Reply]
Page 8 of 82
« First < 45678 91011121858 > Last »
Up