ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 82
« First < 34567 8910111757 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Restaurants of yesteryear
Simply Red 08:33 PM 11-01-2006
What Restaurants did you grow up around? I'm not talking super fancy and yes fast-food counts. What distinctive memories do you associate with them?

Mine?

Taco Via-(the lit up menu of the various taco plates displayed on the wall), WhiteCastle-On a paper plate with fries and Pepsi, Arthur Treachers(off Noland), Tippins(off Noland), Perkins(the free toy well), Country Deli(awesome local deli to Blue Springs heated sandwiches on Sourdough buns), Zarda BBQ and Dairy, FunHouse Pizza(of Course)(Dark. Video- Games,Electonic Riding Bull and 25-cent Taco night) Annes Sante Fe.

Keep in mind I never see these anymore living in Georgia.

[Reply]
007 05:11 AM 11-02-2006
The Padd. Locally owned burger joint. Damn good burgers.
A&W. Left Topeka in the early 80's and I still miss it.
[Reply]
chagrin 06:03 AM 11-02-2006
In Louisiana, we had a chain that was not only in Louisiana, Sambo's (it was shut down long time ago), can't forget whataburger
[Reply]
plbrdude 06:45 AM 11-02-2006
growing up in a small town we had a variety of little resturants and diners. schoonovers cafe was a staple for years. others i remember were bammer's cafe, ray's country kitchen, the duck inn, and mace & mary's snack bar.
[Reply]
Dartgod 07:14 AM 11-02-2006
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
Was that the place that had the phones at the table to put your order in?
Now that you mention it, I believe they did. They were primarily in the Omaha/Lincoln, NE area, but I seem to remember one on 50 Highway in Raytown. I remember when we used to visit my grandparents in Nebraska, we used to always go there for my birthday. They would bring you out a little cake with the trick candles on it. There was one on the I-80 interchange near Greenwood, NE (Alvo Road). It's been gone for years.
[Reply]
Easy 6 07:23 AM 11-02-2006
Is there still a mexican restaurant in KC called Jalisco's??? My relatives always take me there when i go, havent been in several years but i remember it being pretty good.
[Reply]
ChiefsFan4Life 08:07 AM 11-02-2006
Anyone in KC remember a roast beef place a while ago called Rax? I think there was one on like 87th near Antioch or something. My parents used to go there all the time
[Reply]
MOhillbilly 08:10 AM 11-02-2006
Grand fortuna- had the best mongolian BBQ ever.
Stones BBQ- mom and pop type place from the old school. never had anything even close since.
Burger Station- local place there cheese burgers were salty and greasy and sick, they were great.
[Reply]
MOhillbilly 08:21 AM 11-02-2006
from when i was real young and up north. the A&W in Excelsior springs and the pizza joint w/ the clown painting that burned.

And the burger cafe type place downtown. My Grandfather took me there.

Rays?????
[Reply]
Brock 08:48 AM 11-02-2006
Originally Posted by chagrin:
In Louisiana, we had a chain that was not only in Louisiana, Sambo's (it was shut down long time ago), can't forget whataburger
Sambo's was awesome.
[Reply]
Simply Red 08:51 AM 11-02-2006
Originally Posted by ChiefsFan4Life:
Anyone in KC remember a roast beef place a while ago called Rax? I think there was one on like 87th near Antioch or something. My parents used to go there all the time

Rax of course.

[Reply]
Simply Red 08:57 AM 11-02-2006
I forgot Minsky's and Antonio's pizza.
Burger Lane
Godfather
Kreamy Kone

[Reply]
Frosty 09:01 AM 11-02-2006
Most of them have already been mentioned-

Shakey's Pizza - this was the only place my dad would take us for pizza for a long time.
Sambo's - there is still a Sambo's in Lincoln City, OR
the real A&W, with the phones at the booths and the drive-up

Also,

Arctic Circle - had really good shakes
Bob's Burgers - a chain in Oregon. Had my first real job there when I was 14
VIP's- a 24 hour sit down restaurant, like a Denny's. Great place to get breakfast at 1 AM.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:08 AM 11-02-2006
Originally Posted by siberian khatru:
Here's another dead franchise: Burger Chef.
Burger Chef was bought out by Hardees who was bought out by Carl's Jr. [while they still retain the Hardee's branding in established markets].
I remember when I worked at Hardee's in HS finding some ancient Burger Chef promotional materials and training tapes in the back of the store room.
[Reply]
tomahawk kid 09:10 AM 11-02-2006
Mmmmmm....

Hi-Boy.

:-)
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:12 AM 11-02-2006
Originally Posted by milkman:
Sambo's were Denny's.

Used to be one still by the name Sambo's in Santa Barbara.
They finally changed the name about 10 years ago.

Closed down a couple years after that.
Sambos were styled similar to Dennys, but were their own franchise.
And the original Santa Barbara location is still operating, at least as recently as last year.

[Reply]
Page 7 of 82
« First < 34567 8910111757 > Last »
Up