ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 82
< 12345 67891555 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Restaurants of yesteryear
Simply Red 08:33 PM 11-01-2006
What Restaurants did you grow up around? I'm not talking super fancy and yes fast-food counts. What distinctive memories do you associate with them?

Mine?

Taco Via-(the lit up menu of the various taco plates displayed on the wall), WhiteCastle-On a paper plate with fries and Pepsi, Arthur Treachers(off Noland), Tippins(off Noland), Perkins(the free toy well), Country Deli(awesome local deli to Blue Springs heated sandwiches on Sourdough buns), Zarda BBQ and Dairy, FunHouse Pizza(of Course)(Dark. Video- Games,Electonic Riding Bull and 25-cent Taco night) Annes Sante Fe.

Keep in mind I never see these anymore living in Georgia.

[Reply]
Nzoner 09:42 PM 11-01-2006
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Cripes. How did I leave Sirloin Stockade off my list? I only spent five years of my life working there and eating there. I have many fond memories of Sirloin Stockade.
I worked there too,got promoted my very first night.Remember those heavy steels they served the sizzling steaks on?Well I loaded my bus cart too heavy on one end and crash over went the cart soaking a lady customer with the soapy water we had on the cart to soak untensils in.

I got promoted to cook after that.
[Reply]
Iron Chef 09:43 PM 11-01-2006
A little hamberger place call LC's and Kelso's Pizza north of th river.
[Reply]
Simply Red 09:44 PM 11-01-2006
another Texas Toms was off 291 in Indep. My mom used to take my sister and I to that location if we got no cavities at the dentist.
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:49 PM 11-01-2006
Originally Posted by Nzoner:
I worked there too,got promoted my very first night.Remember those heavy steels they served the sizzling steaks on?Well I loaded my bus cart too heavy on one end and crash over went the cart soaking a lady customer with the soapy water we had on the cart to soak untensils in.

I got promoted to cook after that.
Yeah, those things were heavy. If you got a foot-tall stack of them, it was a real workout to move them.

I started out as a busboy, and then went to dishwasher, fry cook, and then head cook over my five years there. My best story about those steel plates was that once I stepped away from the dishwasher station, and one of the cooks brought back a steel plate that he'd been using on the grille all night, so it was about 400 degrees. I came back and picked it up, and fortunately my hands were wet. I heard the water boiling on my hand and dropped the thing without so much as a red mark. I'm amazed that I didn't roast off all my fingerprints.

So did your lady get a free meal? I could imagine a bunch of those things flipping a cart.
[Reply]
PastorMikH 09:54 PM 11-01-2006
Here's an odd one. When I was a kid, I loved going to Der Weinershnitzel (sp?) on the west end of Business loop 70 in Columbia. It was a big red-roofed A-frame structure that sold Hot Dogs. I preffered that place to McDonalds because McDonalds always put mustard on my cheeseburger. They would give you a plain dog with packets of ketchup (or was it catsup) and mustard so you only had to put on what you wanted.
[Reply]
boogblaster 10:06 PM 11-01-2006
Wichita had a place on central & zoo called Estalitias best damn sancho in the world...the hot sause would burn your teeth, plus it weighed 2 lbs....
[Reply]
DJJasonp 10:12 PM 11-01-2006
In Overland Park...

Here's the places I grew up with and still have to eat at every time I come back in town...

Taco Via
Haywards...I remember the little hole in the wall off of 95th street...and you had to wait an hour or more to get seated...
Pizza Shoppe....greatest pizza on the planet.
John's Space Age Donuts....yumm. (heard they're closed now??? is this true?? sad if so)
Wylies....outstanding double or triple burgers...
[Reply]
PastorMikH 10:12 PM 11-01-2006
Originally Posted by Nzoner:
Der Weinersnitchzel(or something like that)

Can't believe someone got that one in before me.
[Reply]
Simplex3 10:15 PM 11-01-2006
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
We used to have a couple Showbiz's here too, but they're called something else now. Their pizza was terrible.
Chuck E. Cheese. The pizza is now tollerable, but they only have one robot animal now and it's far lamer than the whole cast they had at the Showbiz on Metcalf.
[Reply]
Simplex3 10:18 PM 11-01-2006
Originally Posted by DJJasonp:
Pizza Shoppe....greatest pizza on the planet.
Those are all over the place now. I love it. One of the few pizzas in town that doesn't taste like ketchup on a cracker.
[Reply]
PastorMikH 10:20 PM 11-01-2006
A new Pizza joint that I like is Ci Ci's Pizza. Pizza buffet place with Pizza out all day long. Prices aren't too bad either.
[Reply]
Simplex3 10:27 PM 11-01-2006
Originally Posted by PastorMikH:
A new Pizza joint that I like is Ci Ci's Pizza. Pizza buffet place with Pizza out all day long. Prices aren't too bad either.
Their deep dish is actually pretty good. It has a different sauce that has more herbs and stuff. My 2yo son loves to eat there so he can get chocolate pizza, and since it's just he and I every Wed. night we generally grab my dad and the three of us head up to CiCi's.
[Reply]
DJJasonp 10:29 PM 11-01-2006
Originally Posted by Simplex3:
Joe's Barn, 149th and Metcalf. Most recently I think it was Manny's South. Their cinnamon role ruled.
Man....that brings back some memories....the only other cinnamon rolll that came close was from Mrs. Winners....
[Reply]
TrickyNicky 11:00 PM 11-01-2006
Anyone in Junction City: You must eat at the Pusan Diner on N. Washington Street. Korean S(e)oul Food at it's finest, try the Bulgogi and Yaki Mandu, thank me later. Plus, it's within walking distance of a gentlmen's club.
[Reply]
Dartgod 11:06 PM 11-01-2006
How about King's Restaurant? The Cheese Frenchee was awesome!
[Reply]
Page 5 of 82
< 12345 67891555 > Last »
Up