ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Media Center>Windows 10 question ?
ROYC75 10:07 AM 03-19-2018
Just got a new laptop with Wins 10, been using Wins 7 for years and loved it. 10 is different, the layout is different. It auto feeds Web Discover / Chromium at the top of the page.

If I pull up Firefox or any other browser, it attaches it under the Chromium browser? Why ? Can I change this, like stop the Chromium?
[Reply]
Baby Lee 10:09 AM 03-19-2018
LMGTFY

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...efault-browser
[Reply]
Fish 10:14 AM 03-19-2018
That's not part of Windows 10. You must have accidentally installed that while installing something else. It's actually malware and you should remove it.

Go to Control Panel. Click on “Uninstall a program” option under the “Programs” category. Find Web Discover and uninstall it.

Then I'd highly recommend downloading Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and doing a system scan to make sure you don't have any other nasties.
[Reply]
ROYC75 10:22 AM 03-19-2018
Originally Posted by Fish:
That's not part of Windows 10. You must have accidentally installed that while installing something else. It's actually malware and you should remove it.

Go to Control Panel. Click on “Uninstall a program” option under the “Programs” category. Find Web Discover and uninstall it.

Then I'd highly recommend downloading Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and doing a system scan to make sure you don't have any other nasties.
I kid you not, straight out of the box from Dell, turned it on and presto, there it is!
[Reply]
Fish 12:10 PM 03-19-2018
Originally Posted by ROYC75:
I kid you not, straight out of the box from Dell, turned it on and presto, there it is!
I don't really see how that's possible. Web Discover is an independent 3rd party app from a Canadian company. There's no connection to Dell and no reason that would be pre-installed. I don't think Dell could legally include that without the end user accepting a separate licensing agreement. But that's irrelevant. The important thing is to just get it removed.
[Reply]
ROYC75 12:55 PM 03-19-2018
Originally Posted by Fish:
I don't really see how that's possible. Web Discover is an independent 3rd party app from a Canadian company. There's no connection to Dell and no reason that would be pre-installed. I don't think Dell could legally include that without the end user accepting a separate licensing agreement. But that's irrelevant. The important thing is to just get it removed.
Got it removed,the damn thing came from QVC. I wonder if it is a reman and slipped through the cracks. I opened it from the box, new, or at least I thought it was.

Unless it ponied up on something else when first down loading other web browsers, but that doesn't really add up.

Just weird.

Thanks for the help.
[Reply]
Fish 01:05 PM 03-19-2018
Originally Posted by ROYC75:
Got it removed,the damn thing came from QVC. I wonder if it is a reman and slipped through the cracks. I opened it from the box, new, or at least I thought it was.

Unless it ponied up on something else when first down loading other web browsers, but that doesn't really add up.

Just weird.

Thanks for the help.
Yeah, actually that's exactly what happened. You said it was straight out of the box, I assumed you hadn't installed anything yet. But that's where it came from.

Protip: Always, always do "Custom" installs when installing stuff like that. Then deselect all the bullshit they include automatically when you select "Express Install."
[Reply]
Up