ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
The Lounge>Have we reached critical mass with Reiter and/or Wylie?
DJ's left nut 10:07 AM 12-02-2019
Because those guys were getting mauled. There were a half dozen plays yesterday that simply died at the snap because Reiter and Wylie were immediately pushed into the backfield.

It isn't just about losing a snap, it's about how they're losing theirs (and how quickly). The best you can hope from either of them, especially in the run game, is a draw.

Wisniewski has looked good out there. At the very least, he seems stout at the point of attack. Don't we have to give the guy a look there? As the weather turns and the playoffs arrive, we're gonna HAVE to be able to convert some of these short yardage situations without these long-developing crossers from Hill or the inside screens that teams are largely prepared for now.

I just can't handle watching those two guys get abused anymore. I can handle LDT's mediocre play because at least he's not getting beat immediately and badly. He's not blowing guys off the ball, but he's generally holding his own. But Reiter and Wylie are playing poorly enough that they're smothering some of these plays in the cradle. It's just completely unacceptable.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 01:13 PM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by jjchieffan:
I really believe that Wiley wouldn't have gotten his starting job back if Rankin hadn't gone on IR. But since that happened, we're kinda stuck there. Wisneski has been practicing at center and was studying the all 22 on the sideline last night. It appears that they are about to make that move..
Agreed. Rankin was an improvement. At this point, I don't know how much more dumpster diving we can do.
[Reply]
Marcellus 01:15 PM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Put Erving at G. Put Wisnewski at C. Make good with Allen.
I don't think changing 3 of 5 OL with 4 games left in the season would be smart. Especially since one of them isn't even on the roster.

Wiz should be starting at RG though.
[Reply]
Marcellus 01:15 PM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Put Erving at G. Put Wisnewski at C. Make good with Allen.
I don't think changing 3 of 5 OL with 4 games left in the season would be smart. Especially since one of them isn't even on the roster.

Wiz should be starting at LG though.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 01:18 PM 12-02-2019
Allen really wouldn't be an improvement, either. At this point, the improvement just about has to come from within. Rankin looked really solid. I'd hope that Allegretti could do something similar down the road.

On a somewhat related note, anyone have access to PFF player grades? I'd love to know how NFL centers compare this season.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 01:23 PM 12-02-2019
I really believed we were approaching a point where rankin started at LG and wis would end up at c, now were patchworking.
[Reply]
ChiefaRoo 02:24 PM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
It's early but this guy has been talked about in the 1st round where we pick.

Tyler Biadasz C Wisconsin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u97rk3UbBA
No no no. Stud Linebacker who can do it all please.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 02:32 PM 12-02-2019
Hmm, maybe taking an OL or 2 early in the draft would have been better than taking some loser fat fuck like Breeland Speaks.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 02:40 PM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
They need some big maulers inside. LDT and Wylie aren't that. LDT needs to go do his DR thing I guess.

I'm also not sure why we insist on this type of run blocking. Just zone block everything and be done iwht it.
It's been a weakness during Reid's entire tenure and he refused to change the scheme either due to stubbornness or ignorance. Andy Heck needs to be gone yesterday.

Imagine Mahomes behind a power blocking behemoth of a line. The light in the pants OL they prefer should theoretically be better in pass pro, but that's not even the case. Mahomes is athletic and can avoid the rush. Change the scheme to a power blocking scheme with some stout mother fuckers. Get a run game that can turn Mahomes into an assassin from play action passes. But it'll never happen with Reid. We'll sign some middling free agent or two and draft a fatty or two in the 5-6 round range. Rinse and repeat.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 02:42 PM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
I would not mind drafting a top center with our 1st round pick.
Doesn't even need to be a 1st. Just take a guy in the 2-3 range. They just can't keep waiting until the end of the draft to address the position like they have.
[Reply]
BossChief 02:54 PM 12-02-2019
Our best OL is probably

LT Fisher
LG Erving
C Wisnewski
RG Wylie
RT Schwartz
[Reply]
oldman 02:57 PM 12-02-2019
LDT does just fine at RG when he only has to pick up his guy. It's far too often he has to contend with Reiter's guy.
I've watched a bit more of college ball this year and a couple guards have impressed me, Bredson from Michigan and Kindley from Georgia. But we do have to think about bringing a quality tackle on board. Mitch and Fish aren't getting any younger.
Once we have the AFCW locked up, I'd like to see what we have in some of our backups (PMII out of the game, of course). It's time to fish or cut bait with some of our OL.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:20 PM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by oldman:
LDT does just fine at RG when he only has to pick up his guy. It's far too often he has to contend with Reiter's guy.
I've watched a bit more of college ball this year and a couple guards have impressed me, Bredson from Michigan and Kindley from Georgia. But we do have to think about bringing a quality tackle on board. Mitch and Fish aren't getting any younger.
Once we have the AFCW locked up, I'd like to see what we have in some of our backups (PMII out of the game, of course). It's time to fish or cut bait with some of our OL.
That's actually a damn interesting point.

LDT was hurt for most of the time he'd have played alongside Morse last year, right? And he was actually looking very good in the first few games before his injury (when Morse was alongside him, IIRC).

Maybe that's a big part of it. I hadn't considered it, but it's possible that Reiter is having a negative impact on LDT.

I really think we need to get Wisniewski in there as quickly as possible. We have to know if he can provide an upgrade. If he can't, there's little harm done in trying. It's not like he's going to expose Mahomes any more than Reiter already has.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 03:22 PM 12-02-2019
I'm curious why Veach thought he could let Morse walk without finding an adequate replacement. That makes absolutely no sense, unless they were seriously counting on Allegretti.
[Reply]
O.city 03:25 PM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
I'm curious why Veach thought he could let Morse walk without finding an adequate replacement. That makes absolutely no sense, unless they were seriously counting on Allegretti.
Reiter played quite a bit last year, I'm guessing they were comfortable with that.

I don't have a huge problem letting Morse walk. The concussion issue and the amount of money he got, it was the right choice.

The issue was not replacing him with something better than Reiter. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.
[Reply]
Detoxing 03:26 PM 12-02-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
Reiter played quite a bit last year, I'm guessing they were comfortable with that.

I don't have a huge problem letting Morse walk. The concussion issue and the amount of money he got, it was the right choice.

The issue was not replacing him with something better than Reiter. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.
Reiter looked promising last year imo. At the time, most of us were fine with Reiter taking over.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Up