ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 11
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Thanksgiving 2019
HonestChieffan 08:58 AM 11-12-2019

We are just a couple weeks away from Thanksgiving Day and started making plans for celebrating the day. Here is a good read on history:
https://carm.org/thanksgiving

We have done Turkey about every way possible and we seem to alway go back to traditional side dishes...Sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, fruit salad, cranberries, even mashed potatoes and of course dressing.

So many things we all have to be thankful for!!

What do you all do? Anything not as traditional?
[Reply]
Raiderhader 01:32 PM 11-12-2019
Iíve rarely gotten stuffing because mom doesnít like it so she rarely has made it and Iím the only one in the family that actually makes an issue about it. This year Iím making it so that it actually gets done. Iíve never made it before and am looking at some recipes. I know Iím making one that has sausage, just got to figure out which one (Iíll probably graft a couple of recipes together).
[Reply]
vailpass 02:07 PM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by MephistophelesJanx:
Cherry, apple, pear, and peaches!
Oh man that must be nice. Blossom season must be awesome.
[Reply]
vailpass 02:14 PM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
:-)
  • Portuguese stuffing in the bird for those who like deliciousness
  • Non-Portuguese dressing in a pan for those who whine about stuffing.
Had to goole that. Holy crap man that sounds like a meal in itself.
[Reply]
vailpass 02:15 PM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by Raiderhader:
Iíve rarely gotten stuffing because mom doesnít like it so she rarely has made it and Iím the only one in the family that actually makes an issue about it. This year Iím making it so that it actually gets done. Iíve never made it before and am looking at some recipes. I know Iím making one that has sausage, just got to figure out which one (Iíll probably graft a couple of recipes together).
JustPassinBy recommends portuguese stuffing. Sounds like it might fit what you are looking for?
[Reply]
banyon 02:18 PM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
Yet it didóinstantly!

Afterall, it was posted in DC, with a Christian Apologetics link despite it being obscured by your choice of title and comments. Everyone knows that religion and politics are considered the two most contentious subjects that could be discussed. You were not seeking the avoidance of conflict or you would have posted it in the Lounge and skipped the Apologetic's link.

Thanksgiving is about as religious as Memorial Day, because the dead have Christian crosses on their graves and people pray for the dead who sacrificed their lives, even though not all who died have crosses on their grave or were Christianójust like the pagans who attended the Pilgrim's first thanksgiving. The very pagans that helped them to survive. Just because a religious people, the Pilgrims had a feast and were thankful, doesn't make it strictly a religious holiday. Just because past presidents invoked religious sentiments on praising God for what we have because they themselves were Christian, doesn't make it strictly religious.

Remember, Halloween, Valentine's Day have more religious connections than Thanksgiving ó All Souls Day
( All Hallows' Day), All Saint's Day and St Valentine's Day. They're hardly religious now, although some religions treat All Souls & Saint's Day as a religious day. Some Christian sects forbid their children to even honor Halloween or dress up. Then there's St. Patrick's Day which is a celebration of Ireland for the Irish who's patron saint was St. Patrick. That was considered a religious feast dayóalthough it's a drinkin' day for many more.
Gee, you've made a really compelling case that this shouldn't be in DC? :-)
[Reply]
Raiderhader 02:25 PM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by vailpass:
JustPassinBy recommends portuguese stuffing. Sounds like it might fit what you are looking for?
Iím looking that up now. It certainly has promise. Iíll have to do some looking around town to find Portuguese sausage though. And having never had it I assume itís going to be a spicier sausage, which is good, thatís what I want to use.
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 03:50 PM 11-12-2019
Well now you kinda' have to post the pudding recipe don't you think?

Well, I just may. Because I have the spirit!

4 large eggs
ĺ cup sugar, divided use
3 tbsp. Flour
Ĺ tsp. Salt, plus a pinch of salt for meringue
2 cups whole milk
Ĺ tsp. Vanilla
30-40 Vanilla Wafers
3-4 ripe bananas

Separate the yolks from the whites of 3 of the eggs. Set aside the whites. Add the remaining whole egg to the yolks.

. In a saucepan, whisk together 1/2 cup sugar, the flour and 1/2 tsp salt. Stir in the whole egg and 3 yolks, and then stir in the milk. Cook uncovered, stirring often, until the mixture thickens, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.

Preheat the oven to 450℉.

Spread a thin layer of the pudding in a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Arrange a layer of vanilla wafers on top of the pudding. Thinly slice the bananas, about 1/8 inch thick, and arrange a layer of banana slices over the wafers. Spread 1/3 of the remaining pudding over the bananas and continue layering wafers, bananas, and pudding, ending with the pudding.

To make the meringue, beat the reserved egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff. Gradually beat in the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and continue beating until the whites will not slide out of the bowl when it is tilted.

Spread the meringue over the pudding with a spatula, making a few decorative peaks on top and bake until the meringue is lightly browned, 5 minutes.
[Reply]
vailpass 04:03 PM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
Well, I just may. Because I have the spirit!

4 large eggs
ĺ cup sugar, divided use
3 tbsp. Flour
Ĺ tsp. Salt, plus a pinch of salt for meringue
2 cups whole milk
Ĺ tsp. Vanilla
30-40 Vanilla Wafers
3-4 ripe bananas

Separate the yolks from the whites of 3 of the eggs. Set aside the whites. Add the remaining whole egg to the yolks.

. In a saucepan, whisk together 1/2 cup sugar, the flour and 1/2 tsp salt. Stir in the whole egg and 3 yolks, and then stir in the milk. Cook uncovered, stirring often, until the mixture thickens, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.

Preheat the oven to 450℉.

Spread a thin layer of the pudding in a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Arrange a layer of vanilla wafers on top of the pudding. Thinly slice the bananas, about 1/8 inch thick, and arrange a layer of banana slices over the wafers. Spread 1/3 of the remaining pudding over the bananas and continue layering wafers, bananas, and pudding, ending with the pudding.

To make the meringue, beat the reserved egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff. Gradually beat in the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and continue beating until the whites will not slide out of the bowl when it is tilted.

Spread the meringue over the pudding with a spatula, making a few decorative peaks on top and bake until the meringue is lightly browned, 5 minutes.
Thanks! Looks delicious.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 04:05 PM 11-12-2019
Oh, so this is a Lounge-style Food Thread now.

I thought it was about it being a religious holiday for Christians because it is in DC.
[Reply]
vailpass 04:06 PM 11-12-2019
Oh, so this is a Lounge-style Food Thread now.

I thought it was about it being a religious holiday for Christians because it is in DC.
Are you cooking for Thanksgiving this year?
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 04:06 PM 11-12-2019
Bro I was trying to get the thread back on track! How you like my moist juicy spatchcock?:-)
Did you miss the link that Bwana pointed out to me, that shows this is a religion thread for DC and The Holy Land. Food is just a front issue.
[Reply]
vailpass 04:09 PM 11-12-2019
Did you miss the link that Bwana pointed out to me, that shows this is a religion thread for DC and The Holy Land. Food is just a front issue.
Woman, are you cooking this year or no?
[Reply]
ptlyon 04:12 PM 11-12-2019
Oh, and the BEST part of Thanksgiving is the cold turkey sandwich the next day!
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 04:12 PM 11-12-2019
Are you cooking for Thanksgiving this year?
Nope. No kitchen slavery for me this year or last year. Gets to be too much doing both Thanksgiving and Christmas. Going to an awesome buffet down on the waterfront.

So now that we got that out of the way, is this a religious holiday for you?
[Reply]
listopencil 04:33 PM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
Religion and religious celebrations don't fare well in the lounge.

You need to relax.

The Holy Land encompases things you may not like so just scroll past and go try to dominate some other thread.
It's all good, HCF. Fuck the authoritarians who try to control what you discuss. We always had several potato dishes with our meal. Twice baked potatoes was a holiday favorite.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 11
< 12345 6789 > Last »
Up