ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 11
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Thanksgiving 2019
HonestChieffan 08:58 AM 11-12-2019

We are just a couple weeks away from Thanksgiving Day and started making plans for celebrating the day. Here is a good read on history:
https://carm.org/thanksgiving

We have done Turkey about every way possible and we seem to alway go back to traditional side dishes...Sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, fruit salad, cranberries, even mashed potatoes and of course dressing.

So many things we all have to be thankful for!!

What do you all do? Anything not as traditional?
[Reply]
vailpass 01:04 PM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by Jim Hammer:
When I started frying the turkey, it eliminated the juices for gravy, so we made blue cheese mashed potatoes.

While tasty, we still missed out on the gravy to top the stuffing. Now my mom just bakes a turkey ahead of time for the sole purpose of collecting the droppings for gravy.
That's some good mom stuff right there.
[Reply]
vailpass 01:05 PM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by MephistophelesJanx:
Driving out to Tennessee to visit my mom and pop. My brother is flying in and seeing an Aunt and Uncle I haven't seen in years. Cousins I haven't seen since they were babies.

I'll be baking the bread for the event and will be assisting in the preparation of the bird. I'll also be bringing cherries, garlic, and onions from my homestead and those ingredients will go into the meal as well.

We will likely do "Christmas" exchanges early as we won't be able to all get together again this year.
You have cherry trees?
[Reply]
Jim Hammer 01:06 PM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by vailpass:
That's some good mom stuff right there.
It also satisfies her need to totally overcook the bird.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 01:09 PM 11-12-2019
Good thread. I love the holidays. For Thanksgiving this year I'm gonna' spatchcock my bird (that's what she said). Even got some new poultry shears.

Spatchocking chicken on an occasional, or rotational basis, is great. But spatchocking turkey screws up the stuffing. And that's a capital crime in my family.
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 01:11 PM 11-12-2019
lol
[Reply]
vailpass 01:11 PM 11-12-2019
You just couldn't resist the dig could you? :-)
[Reply]
vailpass 01:12 PM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
Spatchocking chicken on an occasional, or rotational basis, is great. But spatchocking turkey screws up the stuffing. And that's a capital crime in my family.
Yep, no stuffing the spatch. Doesn't confront me any, I don't put stuffing in a bird anyway.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 01:13 PM 11-12-2019
Yep, no stuffing the spatch. Doesn't confront me any, I don't put stuffing in a bird anyway.
Blasphemer!
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 01:14 PM 11-12-2019
I have a great friend in South Carolina who has a family recipe for Banana Pudding that I may volunteer to do for Thanksgiving. Pretty traditional southern dish and for sure we will do collards
[Reply]
vailpass 01:16 PM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
Blasphemer!
Splitter!
[Reply]
vailpass 01:17 PM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
I have a great friend in South Carolina who has a family recipe for Banana Pudding that I may volunteer to do for Thanksgiving. Pretty traditional southern dish and for sure we will do collards
Well now you kinda' have to post the pudding recipe don't you think?
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 01:20 PM 11-12-2019
Splitter!
:-)

[Reply]
ptlyon 01:21 PM 11-12-2019
When I started frying the turkey, it eliminated the juices for gravy, so we made blue cheese mashed potatoes.

While tasty, we still missed out on the gravy to top the stuffing. Now my mom just bakes a turkey ahead of time for the sole purpose of collecting the droppings for gravy.
YUMMMMMAAAAYYYY
[Reply]
MephistophelesJanx 01:25 PM 11-12-2019
You have cherry trees?
Cherry, apple, pear, and peaches!
[Reply]
ptlyon 01:30 PM 11-12-2019
Damn you! I was at the store at lunch and saw some pears. Thought about getting them, but didn't. Dammit!
[Reply]
Page 4 of 11
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Up