ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 11
< 12 3456 > Last »
Washington DC and The Holy Land>Thanksgiving 2019
HonestChieffan 08:58 AM 11-12-2019

We are just a couple weeks away from Thanksgiving Day and started making plans for celebrating the day. Here is a good read on history:
https://carm.org/thanksgiving

We have done Turkey about every way possible and we seem to alway go back to traditional side dishes...Sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, fruit salad, cranberries, even mashed potatoes and of course dressing.

So many things we all have to be thankful for!!

What do you all do? Anything not as traditional?
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 10:08 AM 11-12-2019
For sure its a Holiday for good food and fellowship. I hope we can enjoy some fellowship and sharing without constant bitching.

Here is a pretty neat site my wife found as she was looking for ideas: https://www.soulfoodandsoutherncooki...g-recipes.html
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 10:10 AM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by Bwana:
I doubt it, and sure hope it doesn't come to that. The mods are very serious about curtailing DC crap in the lounge. Most people "get it" but there are 4 or 5 dipshits that don't, even after warnings and a dedicated thread stuck on the from page of the lounge. Did you click on the OP's link?

This was the open line to the story:

"Is Thanksgiving Day a Christian Holiday?"

Now if that were posted in the lounge, it would without question cause severe butt hurt with some and a pissing contest would ensue.
No, I went by his thread title giving no indication or religious content, the original comments in the first post and the image of food and him asking what foods others celebrated with. The poster simply stated it was a history of the holiday for which I didn't think I needed a review. He could have shown the title it to provide a clue. If he said the link was about a religious history for the holiday making his purpose clear, I probably wouldn't have said anything. Personally, I think he tried to obfuscate that aspect based on his own comments which were about food.

I did click on it later when he posted it in another post, where you can see I commented.
[Reply]
LiveSteam 10:31 AM 11-12-2019
What we have here is a food fight without the food.
Interesting
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 10:36 AM 11-12-2019
:-)
[Reply]
Bearcat 10:59 AM 11-12-2019
FTR, I find it absolutely hilarious that DC threads are now being reported for not being cesspooly enough for DC.

After years of seeing all of the political bullshit leak into the Lounge and other forums, posting non-DC threads in DC is pure troll genius*.

The simple thought of "I don't want to read about Thanksgiving while slinging political shit" really makes me laugh out loud.

It's the equivalent of someone eating at a restaurant, not being able to taste their food because they're surrounded by smokers, and dealing with screaming kids who keep bumping into their table and knocking shit over..... then one day one of those smokers with the obnoxious kids has to squeeze buy a quiet couple minding their own business, and complains to the manager they don't want to deal with squeezing by them to get to their table.

*(I see this was posted here for a reason, so I'm not talking about this thread specifically)
[Reply]
Randallflagg 11:03 AM 11-12-2019
Well, I, for one, loved the pic in the OP.........religious or not, it made my mouth water!! :-)
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 11:20 AM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by Randallflagg:
Well, I, for one, loved the pic in the OP.........religious or not, it made my mouth water!! :-)
I had no problem with the pic or the subject of Thanksgiving food. I just failed to see how it was political or religious.
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 11:23 AM 11-12-2019
Imagine that!! A thread that does not scream out for conflict...Glad you had the normal reaction!

I'm seriously thinking of curing a whole Ham and smoking in my smokehouse for Christmas. Bischelmyers in KC has fresh whole hams pretty much every day that would be amazing
[Reply]
Randallflagg 11:25 AM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
Imagine that!! A thread that does not scream out for conflict...Glad you had the normal reaction!

I'm seriously thinking of curing a whole Ham and smoking in my smokehouse for Christmas. Bischelmyers in KC has fresh whole hams pretty much every day that would be amazing

Generally speaking, we usually have turkey once a year (Thanksgiving) and then a nice big ham for Christmas.....Lordy, Lordy................
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 11:26 AM 11-12-2019
For our atheists here. Here's looking at you Adolph.

[Reply]
BucEyedPea 11:32 AM 11-12-2019
Animal Rights for Turkeys?

[Reply]
HonestChieffan 11:36 AM 11-12-2019
Generally speaking, we usually have turkey once a year (Thanksgiving) and then a nice big ham for Christmas.....Lordy, Lordy................
The good stuff
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 11:38 AM 11-12-2019
Ham is full of toxins. Besides Jesus, Mary and Joseph were Jewish and did not eat pig products. It's sacrilege to do a ham on Christmas. :-)

I do a classic English Christmas dinner— beef, specifically a prime rib or tenderloin. I know they do turkey over there now.
[Reply]
Randallflagg 11:47 AM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:
Ham is full of toxins. Besides Jesus, Mary and Joseph were Jewish and did not eat pig products. It's sacrilege to do a ham on Christmas. :-)

I do a classic English Christmas dinner— beef, specifically a prime rib for tenderloin. I know they do turkey over there now.

Well, I've been called infidel on more that one occasion.......... :-)
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 12:01 PM 11-12-2019
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
Yet it did—instantly!

Afterall, it was posted in DC, with a Christian Apologetics link despite it being obscured by your choice of title and comments. Everyone knows that religion and politics are considered the two most contentious subjects that could be discussed. You were not seeking the avoidance of conflict or you would have posted it in the Lounge and skipped the Apologetic's link.

Thanksgiving is about as religious as Memorial Day, because the dead have Christian crosses on their graves and people pray for the dead who sacrificed their lives, even though not all who died have crosses on their grave or were Christian—just like the pagans who attended the Pilgrim's first thanksgiving. The very pagans that helped them to survive. Just because a religious people, the Pilgrims had a feast and were thankful, doesn't make it strictly a religious holiday. Just because past presidents invoked religious sentiments on praising God for what we have because they themselves were Christian, doesn't make it strictly religious.

Remember, Halloween, Valentine's Day have more religious connections than Thanksgiving — All Souls Day
( All Hallows' Day), All Saint's Day and St Valentine's Day. They're hardly religious now, although some religions treat All Souls & Saint's Day as a religious day. Some Christian sects forbid their children to even honor Halloween or dress up. Then there's St. Patrick's Day which is a celebration of Ireland for the Irish who's patron saint was St. Patrick. That was considered a religious feast day—although it's a drinkin' day for many more.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 11
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up