ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 15
« First < 56789 10111213 > Last »
Media Center>Cutting Cable.
Dunit35 01:17 PM 12-19-2018
I know there are already several threads but Im adding to it.

Our DTV bill is about to go up $60 a month to $133. Were looking at cutting cable. Wed like to add Hulu live TV, netflix, and MLB.TV. I know I can stream all three through my Xbox. It looks like I wont have AMC, NFL Network or NBC. NFL Network I can stream the Thursday night games through my xbox.

How is the quality? We have to upgrade our internet to unlimited for an extra $20/month. Provider said wed also get faster speeds.
Does anyone have MLB.Tv and use it through your Xbox?
What about DVR services?

It looks like I can get all three for around $64 a month.
[Reply]
Fish 11:22 PM 04-10-2019
Originally Posted by Miles:
Looks like no grandfathering this time and well get the increase next week.
Yup. This is what I'm seeing. Damn...........


[Reply]
srvy 06:36 AM 04-11-2019
That rotten when your grandfathered in seems they should honor the promise.
[Reply]
Miles 07:56 AM 04-11-2019
Figured it would happen eventually but feels pretty cable like to add channels I don’t care about and increase the bill by a large percentage. Still no interest in switching though since it’s such a great service. Now if they could just get NFL network and Comedy Central.
[Reply]
srvy 08:35 AM 04-11-2019
Originally Posted by Miles:
Figured it would happen eventually but feels pretty cable like to add channels I dont care about and increase the bill by a large percentage. Still no interest in switching though since its such a great service. Now if they could just get NFL network and Comedy Central.
Yes the raise of monthly fee would be easier to swallow if NFL Network was added.
[Reply]
Dunit35 08:51 AM 04-11-2019
Originally Posted by srvy:
https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/10/1...discovery-hgtv

Got a message that Youtube TV is raising price to 50.00 plus several new channels. Discovery Channel, HGTV, Food Network, TLC, Investigation Discovery, Animal Planet, Travel Channel, and MotorTrend .
Still no History channel.

Hulu Live TV $45/month is what we’ll eventually get. We cancelled DTV Feb 28th and haven’t added any live tv. We watch Netflix and some prime. Haven’t missed live TV yet.

YouTubeTV bumping it $15 seems kind of excessive.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:42 AM 04-11-2019
After Game of Thrones.....we're dumping DirecTV now and not using any of the streaming services other than Amazon Prime and Netflix. We've found that we don't even really watch anything other than a couple of shows and it's mostly filler while we're eating dinner or doing something around the house.
[Reply]
WilliamTheIrish 03:38 PM 04-14-2019
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
After Game of Thrones.....we're dumping DirecTV now and not using any of the streaming services other than Amazon Prime and Netflix. We've found that we don't even really watch anything other than a couple of shows and it's mostly filler while we're eating dinner or doing something around the house.
Cut the cord (hard to believe this) 5 years ago. Uverse had me on autopay and very quietly added channels and fees until I was well over $200 per month. I told them to fuck off (they obliged) and I'll never give them, or any other cable company, another dime as long as I breathe.

You'll find that you will read/talk/listen to more music or podcasts and actually enjoy yourself more without cable. I got rid of FB on my phone and cut my screen time to about 40 minutes a day too. Tired of being a slave to the phone too. I estimate my cable savings at well over $10,000 over 5 years.


Netflix and Prime are what we have currently. And we wouldn't have that if it were up to me. I get all of my TV shows through KODI. Some movies too.

I'm a big documentary guy so Flix takes care of what I like to watch really well.

As for sports, I stream all baseball/basketball/hockey through various free sources.

Except the Chiefs. 12$ HD antennas on all TV's pulls them in just fine. And it's about 15/20 seconds faster through the air than cable or satellite. It's annoying to my friends when texting back and forth and the Chiefs are in the huddle on their cable hooked TV, and I'm texting "TOUCHDOWN... Incredible throw!!! OMFG!!! from my antenna driven TV.

I'm not into fantasy football so if a game isn't on free, it's of no interest to me. Locally, when the Chiefs are on SNF/MNF they broadcast those on the ABC affiliate so I don't have to miss it.
[Reply]
Easy 6 04:03 PM 04-14-2019
Im damn near ready to pull the plug on cable, its only a matter of time

Between free over the air digital, YouTube, and something like Netflix it would be so easy really... the only problem is Chiefs games, I depend on a CBS station too far away for free digital reception for all non prime time games and streaming games is always fraught with peril
[Reply]
GloryDayz 04:35 PM 04-14-2019
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Im damn near ready to pull the plug on cable, its only a matter of time

Between free over the air digital, YouTube, and something like Netflix it would be so easy really... the only problem is Chiefs games, I depend on a CBS station too far away for free digital reception for all non prime time games and streaming games is always fraught with peril
I tend to agree with a lot of this. I see the saving offered by "cutting cable", but, for me, it's not enough. I have both cable and the Fire Stick, I'm just not ready for what I'm seeing as a patch-work quilt of services to build a complete picture.

But hey, I still like/want PiP...
[Reply]
Easy 6 04:57 PM 04-14-2019
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
I tend to agree with a lot of this. I see the saving offered by "cutting cable", but, for me, it's not enough. I have both cable and the Fire Stick, I'm just not ready for what I'm seeing as a patch-work quilt of services to build a complete picture.

But hey, I still like/want PiP...
Yeah cable still has its benefits like pip, on demand and so on

But when I find a way to get those daytime Chiefs games without cable, its a done deal
[Reply]
DaFace 05:09 PM 04-14-2019
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Yeah cable still has its benefits like pip, on demand and so on

But when I find a way to get those daytime Chiefs games without cable, it’s a done deal
While I try not to suggest "alternate methods" for the most part, as I prefer to keep things legit as much as possible...

Reddit NFL streams work great.

(Or if you're in the local market, I've actually had no problems with Hulu for Broncos games here in Denver, and I've heard good things about YouTube as well.)
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:25 PM 04-14-2019
Originally Posted by DaFace:
While I try not to suggest "alternate methods" for the most part, as I prefer to keep things legit as much as possible...

Reddit NFL streams work great.

(Or if you're in the local market, I've actually had no problems with Hulu for Broncos games here in Denver, and I've heard good things about YouTube as well.)
Reddit is by orders of magnitude better than any other stream I know of

That said even they have let me down quite a bit, maybe its just my equip/strength of service package, but I want something reliable for the games
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 06:01 PM 04-14-2019
How are the local channels on YouTubeTV?
[Reply]
Fish 06:06 PM 04-14-2019
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
How are the local channels on YouTubeTV?
What do you mean? It's the same Fox4, KCTV5, KSHB, KMBC9 channels that are on KC cable or OTA. If you are in a different viewing area, you will see the local channels for that area. Depends on location.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 06:09 PM 04-14-2019
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Yeah cable still has its benefits like pip, on demand and so on

But when I find a way to get those daytime Chiefs games without cable, its a done deal
I've got "cable" (Google Fiber), and they're not technically savvy enough (yet) to offer PiP...

I guess they can't fit it into a Gig.. :-)

Not unlike being able to selectively block certain MAC addresses that appear on the fiber side!!! Their great answer = "change the SSID, thus blocking everybody, then you'll know." :-) But hey, add a non-GF WAP to the home and connect it TO YOUR NETWORK BOX, and they can sense THAT, and tell users connected to that WAP that they're not on their home network (when the 1000% are)...

But alas, it's Google...
[Reply]
Page 9 of 15
« First < 56789 10111213 > Last »
Up