Page 435 of 934
« First < 335385425431432433434435 436437438439445485535 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:04 AM 12-30-2020
Originally Posted by Peter Gibbons:
Fortunately no - I have been doing much better than that on my own. I have been closer to 10 percent overall average or 7-8 after inflation over many years. However, as I consider moving to a professional money manager, they all seem to think those types of returns are not sustainable over a long period of time (although that has been my experience for the past 25 years).
Makes sense.

I'd guess you won't achieve the same returns as you diversify out of stocks. So maybe don't knife them just yet.

But I would ask them their fee structure. If you don't like what you hear, a lot of outfits have target dated funds, you could do the math and split your current savings into the requisite funds.
[Reply]
philfree 01:09 AM 12-30-2020
So I bought stocks after the market crashed from covid and have pretty much doubled my money. With a Biden administration and a Dem win in GA the capital gains tax is guaranteed to go up. It will probably double or more. Also the Dem win in GA will probably cause a sell off. That scenario along with the fact that I probably won't be able to duplicate that investment performance anytime soon gives me pause. So with all that I'm thinking about selling all my stocks before Jan. 1 2021. Which is like today.

Is that the right move or would it be a fuck up?
[Reply]
Rain Man 01:18 AM 12-30-2020
Originally Posted by philfree:
So I bought stocks after the market crashed from covid and have pretty much doubled my money. With a Biden administration and a Dem win in GA the capital gains tax is guaranteed to go up. It will probably double or more. Also the Dem win in GA will probably cause a sell off. That scenario along with the fact that I probably won't be able to duplicate that investment performance anytime soon gives me pause. So with all that I'm thinking about selling all my stocks before Jan. 1 2021. Which is like today.

Is that the right move or would it be a **** up?
If you sell within a year of purchase, you're paying short term capital gains tax, which is notably higher than long term capital gains tax. Unless you thing something is going to happen really fast, you're better off waiting a few months and selling a year after you bought it.

Here's what the difference is: https://www.investopedia.com/article...-tax-rates.asp
[Reply]
philfree 01:44 AM 12-30-2020
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
If you sell within a year of purchase, you're paying short term capital gains tax, which is notably higher than long term capital gains tax. Unless you thing something is going to happen really fast, you're better off waiting a few months and selling a year after you bought it.

Here's what the difference is: https://www.investopedia.com/article...-tax-rates.asp
I was wanting to go long with these stocks but if the Dems win in GA the tax rate is going to go up and then that will probably cause a pretty good sell off. It's a dilemma.
[Reply]
Buehler445 01:45 AM 12-30-2020

Is that the right move or would it be a fuck up?
I think it is unlikely they'll get something passed that will affect 2021 taxes. I could be wrong. It took Trump a year to implement his stuff.

Plus, you'll be looking at Short term Gain on the stock sales, which isn't as favorable. Here is an article that explains the difference, then the tax rates which are based off AGI.

https://www.investopedia.com/article...-tax-rates.asp

Spoilered for DC stuff

Spoiler!

You're best bet is to follow your system, make the most money you can and pay the assessed tax.

Managing your trading strategy around uncertain tax circumstances is usually spending dollars to chase dimes.
[Reply]
philfree 09:17 AM 12-30-2020
I guess I need to practice the "Strong Hands" approach and just hang on. I already have a lot of Capital Gains to pay from the sell of some rental properties so I really wasn't wanting to add to it. I'm just and Uneasy Rider with Joe and then Kamala waiting in the wings. The Dems could really fuck shit up.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:38 AM 12-30-2020
I guess I need to practice the "Strong Hands" approach and just hang on. I already have a lot of Capital Gains to pay from the sell of some rental properties so I really wasn't wanting to add to it. I'm just and Uneasy Rider with Joe and then Kamala waiting in the wings. The Dems could really fuck shit up.
I really want to keep DC out of this, but structurally, very little has changed in taxation in the 25 years I've been paying them. They've monkied with the brackets, limits, credits, whatever, but the overall structure hasn't changed a TON.

Now, that doesn't mean that they can't implement changes that will dramatically affect your situation, but w/r/t cap gains, there is a fairly low probability. Let's be real here. There has been a ton of money made in the stock market over the last 4 years. And the current group, above all else wants to get re-elected.
[Reply]
philfree 11:01 AM 12-30-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I really want to keep DC out of this, but structurally, very little has changed in taxation in the 25 years I've been paying them. They've monkied with the brackets, limits, credits, whatever, but the overall structure hasn't changed a TON.

Now, that doesn't mean that they can't implement changes that will dramatically affect your situation, but w/r/t cap gains, there is a fairly low probability. Let's be real here. There has been a ton of money made in the stock market over the last 4 years. And the current group, above all else wants to get re-elected.
DC? Sure but who gets elected can have an effect on the market so at times it may be hard to talk about one and ignore the other. And Joe says he's going to raise taxes so I don't know what could be more pertinent to the discussion. None the less I'll leave it there.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:11 AM 12-30-2020
Yeah, I'm not particularly qualified to speculate on the election's effect on stock prices.
[Reply]
lewdog 01:23 PM 12-30-2020
DC? Sure but who gets elected can have an effect on the market so at times it may be hard to talk about one and ignore the other. And Joe says he's going to raise taxes so I don't know what could be more pertinent to the discussion. None the less I'll leave it there.
Stock market performance hasn’t been shown to correlate with who’s in office. Over time there’s a slight edge in stock performance with a Dem in office actually, but it’s not much.

Instead of outright selling you could set stop limit orders or lock in profit on 50% of you position and leave the rest to run if the market continues to climb higher.
[Reply]
philfree 02:08 PM 12-30-2020
I'm just kind of thinking out loud on here and I appreciate the feedback.
[Reply]
lewdog 02:16 PM 12-30-2020
I'm just kind of thinking out loud on here and I appreciate the feedback.
The market is extended but doesn’t mean it can’t keep running for a bit. There will be a correction at some point but it’s likely to be unrelated to who’s in office.

If worried, protect your capital with stop losses to avoid huge downside risk but place them far enough away that it doesn’t trigger selling currently.
[Reply]
TambaBerry 03:51 PM 12-30-2020
So, I apparently have a collections with a lawyer now, I haven't been served yet but once I found out I contacted the lawyer and offered to settle it. Does anyone have experience with this. I guess I was just ignorant to it and now I'm fucked. Trying to not let it hit as a judgement. I checked my credit and it's the only negative thing on it.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 05:00 PM 12-30-2020
If playing the EV market I'm pretty sure dementia in the White House will be good news for you. He wants to spend like 500 billion on green energy crap . He's stated he wants 500 ,000 charging station in the US. Think SBE ,BlNK and BEEM. They've been running hard anyway.
[Reply]
Buehler445 06:12 PM 12-30-2020
Originally Posted by TambaBerry:
So, I apparently have a collections with a lawyer now, I haven't been served yet but once I found out I contacted the lawyer and offered to settle it. Does anyone have experience with this. I guess I was just ignorant to it and now I'm fucked. Trying to not let it hit as a judgement. I checked my credit and it's the only negative thing on it.
I haven’t monkied with it.

Do you have the money?
[Reply]
Page 435 of 934
« First < 335385425431432433434435 436437438439445485535 > Last »
Up