ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: What's your preference?
Chris Jones 94 54.34%
1st round draft pick + $20m of other players 74 42.77%
Some other option I will describe in the thread 3 1.73%
Polls are fun! 2 1.16%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll
Page 11 of 20
« First < 7891011 12131415 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Jones vs. 1st Rounder + $20m
DaFace 11:08 AM 02-18-2020
Obviously this is going to be a key discussion this offseason. On The Athletic's podcast (Time's Ours), Nate Taylor said that he's heard that there are multiple teams out there who would give us a 1st round pick for Jones (assuming we tag and trade him), and possibly more than that.

So just to lay out a simplified version of the options:

Option 1:
Chris Jones (probably around $20m per year)

Option 2:
1st round draft pick (cheap for 4-5 years)
$20m worth of other players

For context on how much other players might cost based on recent free agents we've signed:
Clark - $21m
Mathieu - $14m
Hitchens - $9m
Schwartz - $8m
Okafor - $6m

So...which way do we go?
[Reply]
Sofa King 09:06 AM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by wachashi:
So the salary cap is a myth, right? This is the worst argument.
How so? My point was most teams don't have 5 players worth these contracts. Is that not true?
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:16 AM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by Rausch:
The 49'ers did it...
They have 5 dudes with 10M against their cap. We have 8.

And there is a substantial difference between the 14 and 15 that Ford and Buckner will put on there and the 20+ that Jones will have, coupled with Clarks 22.7M.

Note: those are 2020 numbers from overthecap.com
[Reply]
DaFace 09:21 AM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I think a lot the groundwork was laid when Clark was signed. I just don't know how you can pay 2 dudes on a 4 dude DL at the top of the market.

Part of it is there remains a lot of apprehension (myself included) due to the whole Houston/Berry fuckfests. My god those were bad contracts. The results of which we're still feeling.
Exactly. It's crazy that Berry is still costing us $8m next year. :-)
[Reply]
RunKC 09:22 AM 02-19-2020
When five players account for 58 percent of the team's salary cap, there is virtually no room to account for injuries or under performance within that group. On top of that, the players you're able to put around that group of superstars are less coveted.

Injuries and player performance drop-offs are just too common in the NFL for me to want to create a top-heavy roster in which you're basically all-in on five players.
I think it will be a year-by-year deal to not let that happen, assuming we sign Chris Jones.

2020-Chris Jones and Pat Mahomes low cap hit
2021-Extend Kelce and Matheiu. Structure gauranteed money and have their cap hits low for this season.
2022-Schwartz and Fisher are FA’s. Hitchens can be cut

We got $10 million this year from Fisher and Hitchens restructuring salary to signing bonuses. They could do that with Frank Clark one year to free up space too.

Starting to believe we can keep Chris.
[Reply]
wachashi 09:38 AM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
I think it will be a year-by-year deal to not let that happen, assuming we sign Chris Jones.

2021-Extend Kelce and Matheiu. Structure gauranteed money and have their cap hits low for this season.

We got $10 million this year from Fisher and Hitchens restructuring salary to signing bonuses. They could do that with Frank Clark one year to free up space too.

We got $10 million in cap relief in the short term, but still have to pay that money in future years. Restructuring just kicks the can down the road to provide immediate relief. It's a band-aid. It does not wipe away the risks an extremely top-heavy roster carries with it.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:43 AM 02-19-2020
They have 5 dudes with 10M against their cap. We have 8.

And there is a substantial difference between the 14 and 15 that Ford and Buckner will put on there and the 20+ that Jones will have, coupled with Clarks 22.7M.

Note: those are 2020 numbers from overthecap.com
Yeah but they also have Arik Armstead as a FA this year and Solomon Thomas as a FA next year. They’re going to have to make decisions just like us.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:47 AM 02-19-2020

"One thing to keep in mind.. He just won his Super Bowl.. He's got the ring.. What do people want when they've already got the ring? They're going to get that bag" - former #Bills All Pro DT Kyle Williams on #Chiefs stud DT Chris Jones #PatMcAfeeShowLIVE pic.twitter.com/OkSDr8NxVJ

— Pat McAfee (@PatMcAfeeShow) February 19, 2020

[Reply]
The Franchise 09:50 AM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Exactly. It's crazy that Berry is still costing us $8m next year. :-)

And we’re fourth in the league in dead cap amounts. Fourth because of one fucking player.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:54 AM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Yeah but they also have Arik Armstead as a FA this year and Solomon Thomas as a FA next year. They’re going to have to make decisions just like us.
I'm aware of that. I was just responding to Rausch who used them as an example.

Bottom line is math doesn't lie.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:56 AM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:

If they can make that kind of calculus work, I'd be OK with it.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:56 AM 02-19-2020
I'm aware of that. I was just responding to Rausch who used them as an example.

Bottom line is math doesn't lie.
I was just adding to yours.

And the 49ers are going to have fun when Bosa wants a new deal.
[Reply]
RunKC 09:57 AM 02-19-2020
We got $10 million in cap relief in the short term, but still have to pay that money in future years. Restructuring just kicks the can down the road to provide immediate relief. It's a band-aid. It does not wipe away the risks an extremely top-heavy roster carries with it.
No matter what your cap looks like, it will be imperative to draft well and find value in trades/FA.

Veach has done a nice job doing that in 2 years. If he keeps doing that at a functional level, we’ll be fine.

Think of the Steelers over the years. Not much going on from them in FA aside from smaller moves. Heavy emphasis on the draft.

I think that’s a model for us to use.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:07 AM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
I was just adding to yours.

And the 49ers are going to have fun when Bosa wants a new deal.
Ah. I'm too dumb to read.

It will be cheap to cut Garoppolo at that point, which is what they might want to do.

That will make the math easier. :-)
[Reply]
Dunerdr 10:08 AM 02-19-2020
I'd love to keep Jones but i think its realistic to think he gets traded for a first and a third. I also think Spags will generate interior pressure the same way he always did prior to jones, roll a DE over to DT and send him.
[Reply]
Halfcan 10:29 AM 02-19-2020
After reading all the back and forth on Jones, it seems everyone wants him to play with the Chiefs but don't want to be in Cap Hell over it.
[Reply]
Page 11 of 20
« First < 7891011 12131415 > Last »
Up