Some female (name) 0 0%
Some other male (name) 45 33.58%
TRUMP! 6 4.48%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll
Page 8 of 11
« First < 45678 91011 >
Nzoner's Game Room>G.O.A.T.: pick your greatest athlete of all time
chiefzilla1501 11:06 AM 04-15-2019
The problem I have with floating wilt is the problem I have with anyone thinking Marino even belongs in the conversation for G.QB.OAT. Or even Lebron who I think is no doubt the most gifted athlete the NBA has ever seen. It confuses individual accomplishment with team achievements. Sports IQ and leadership has to factor in. I just can't back a person who puts up big stats but was a shitty teammate or who came up small in big moments. And I find it hard to put sports in there where you're kind of just competing with yourself. Every generation has a few wildly great athletes. The rarity is an elite athlete matched with elite intangibles. Russell Westbrook is one hell of a player but doesn't win. Tom Brady is one hell of an IQ player and leader but doesn't have elite physical talent. There are a select few athletes in history who have been elite at both. Bo unfortunately never got that chance to show if he had that. Have a bad feeling Mike trout will go down that road too.
[Reply]
srvy 11:29 AM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by redhed:
BruceCaitlin Jenner - Olympic Decathlon Champion
Fixed it
[Reply]
Braincase 10:52 AM 04-15-2019
The best today would be a Frenchman named Kevin Mayer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Mayer

All-time? That's a more difficult question.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 11:45 AM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Braincase:
The best today would be a Frenchman named Kevin Mayer.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Mayer

All-time? That's a more difficult question.
Never heard of him, but his wiki page is scary.

10.55 100m
26’ long jump
7’ high jump
17’ pole vault
4:14 1500m

That’s outrageous
[Reply]
srvy 11:33 AM 04-15-2019
Those men and women who cross country ski then stop and there heartbeat instantly come down shoot and knockdown some targets and off the ski to next shooting stage. That just amazes me and I bet Bo cant do that.
[Reply]
alpha_omega 11:42 AM 04-15-2019
Bo
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 03:58 PM 04-15-2019
Also with people picking wilt I just want to make sure everyone understands:

Players were not actually SHORTER back when he played. The average height of the NBA players position by position hasn't varied that much over the past 60 years.

Wilt would dominate in today's NBA.
[Reply]
Rain Man 04:19 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale:
Also with people picking wilt I just want to make sure everyone understands:

Players were not actually SHORTER back when he played. The average height of the NBA players position by position hasn't varied that much over the past 60 years.

Wilt would dominate in today's NBA.
Interesting. I wouldn't have guessed that at all.
[Reply]
CanadaKC 04:26 PM 04-15-2019
Ali
[Reply]
Rain Man 04:28 PM 04-15-2019
As I think about it, this would be a cool tournament. Maybe I'll start it up once the movie franchise tournament finishes up.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 04:32 PM 04-15-2019
Make sure you either list the criteria or, as I did,say it’s undefined
[Reply]
Rain Man 04:35 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
I'm thinking that it could be a good head to head where we list a number of events and have two athletes face off in each one. The one with the highest score (system to be determined) would then move to the next round. So we'd need to come up with a list of athletes (which this thread could supply) and a list of events that, in combination, define a good athlete.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 06:55 PM 04-15-2019
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I'm thinking that it could be a good head to head where we list a number of events and have two athletes face off in each one. The one with the highest score (system to be determined) would then move to the next round. So we'd need to come up with a list of athletes (which this thread could supply) and a list of events that, in combination, define a good athlete.
One way to idiot-proof it would be to put all local yokels (wilt, mahomes, bo etc) in one quad so it won’t be a bunch of homers.
[Reply]
Rain Man 07:01 PM 04-15-2019
One way to idiot-proof it would be to put all local yokels (wilt, mahomes, bo etc) in one quad so it won’t be a bunch of homers.
Yeah, it's a bit of a worry. I know that I'd feel a moral obligation to vote for Mahomes.
[Reply]
Great Expectations 08:24 PM 04-15-2019
This “poll” wasn't your best effort. Too many great, and probably the best athlete left off the list while guys with great accomplishments, but aren't great athletes were put on the list

Also, how has Pele not been mentioned? More people in the World play competitive soccer than any other sport.

Comparatively not that many people in the world play competitive tennis, hockey, golf etc. While the best athletes in the US are typically basketball players that isn’t the case for the rest of the world.

Finally saying that Bo is getting mentions because of local homerism is dumb. Speed, strength, agility, coordination, instincts, arm strength etc are all elite.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 11
« First < 45678 91011 >
Up