ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 741 of 3903
« First < 241641691731737738739740741 74274374474575179184112411741 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Bugeater 02:47 PM 03-25-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Goddamn NY has around half the cases in the entire country, put a wall up and keep those fuckers in their own state.
I wouldn't be opposed to that at all.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 02:49 PM 03-25-2020
One thing to note about our Case numbers is we have officially as of this morning tested more of our own citizens than anyone else in the world.
[Reply]
Marcellus 02:50 PM 03-25-2020
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
NY is almost half the cases and almost 1/3rd of the deaths.

North East, LA, and Cali are the shit shows but NY is just ridiculous.

Fortunately they have only shown 14 new deaths for today so far in NY, it was 114 yesterday.
[Reply]
TLO 02:51 PM 03-25-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
One thing to note about our Case numbers is we have officially as of this morning tested more of our own citizens than anyone else in the world.
That's good.

Still wish we had immobilize individualized numbers done by counties/states.
[Reply]
Donger 02:56 PM 03-25-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
Source?
[Reply]
BigRedChief 02:59 PM 03-25-2020
Props to the health care workers on the front lines of fighting this virus. Thet are putting their lifes on the line to help others.

As I said before, if I hadnt changed the PPE out between patients, I'd been fired, Thats how seriously it endangers the other patents and myself. Our health care workers are instead of changing out masks and PPE's with every patient, they are now forced to use the same PPE for all patients increasing the risks to their lifes and patients.

Current CDC policy:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ace-masks.html

Crowdsourcing and average Americans trying to help out with the shortage:
https://www.npr.org/2020/03/25/82079...it-still-helps
[Reply]
BleedingRed 02:59 PM 03-25-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Source?
The news
[Reply]
TLO 03:00 PM 03-25-2020
How many new deaths is NY reporting today?
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 03:01 PM 03-25-2020
My turn to fearmonger.

KC nurse hit by COVID-19. The scariest part, she says? She never showed the symptoms

Originally Posted by :
For Rachel Bullock, 26, the most frightening part of testing positive for the coronavirus disease is not that it exhausted her.

“Something I have never experienced, worse than mono,” the Kansas Citian shared on social media. One day, she slept for 16 hours.

Nor was it that the virus caused her to vomit or have diarrhea. She would lose six pounds in a matter of days.

Or oddly, that she couldn’t smell or taste a fresh cup of coffee or tell if a Popsicle was cold. The illness stole both her sense of smell and taste.

“As I continue to improve, I hope it comes back,” she said Tuesday.

No, most frightening to Bullock, a nurse, is that for several days — not long after she returned March 11 from a Vail, Colorado, ski trip and started getting what she thought was a normal stuffy nose, small headache, pain behind her eyes — her symptoms were so mild that she had no idea that she was walking around with COVID-19.

She went to her job at a Kansas City area hospital that next weekend for a couple of days. Although compulsive about social distancing and taking other sanitation precautions, she did treat some patients. She knew she felt a bit tired but thought it was the toll of a 12-hour shift.

Bullock did not exhibit — and to this day has not exhibited — either the hallmark dry cough or fever known to be the two most common symptoms of the infection now sweeping the world.

“I never had a fever,” Bullock told The Star on Tuesday. She spoke by phone from home, where she has stayed in self-isolation since she was told on Friday that she had tested positive for the disease. “Any cough I had was normal. It was like ‘I needed to clear my throat’ kind of thing.”

Bullock recently posted a timeline of her experience on Facebook. Upset at news in Florida and elsewhere about people still refusing to practice social distancing, she wants people to heed the cautions. At 12:01 a.m. Tuesday, stay-at-home orders went into effect throughout the Kansas City area.

A TRIP TO COLORADO

The only reason Bullock considered that she might have the virus is that, after returning from Colorado with her fiance and his family, she saw a March 15 alert by the Kansas Department of Health and Environment. Otherwise, she never would have thought to try to get tested.

She was already at work on that day, a Sunday. The alert recommended that anyone who had traveled to Colorado’s Eagle, Summit, Pitkin and Gunnison counties within the last week go on 14-day quarantine.

That was her. Vail is in Eagle County. She took her temperature: 99.6. A bit elevated, but she didn’t feel feverish and it didn’t meet the 100.4-degree criteria for possible viral infection or testing.

“This comes out while I’m at work,” Bullock wrote of the alert. “(I) don’t feel feverish at all, just tired and ready to go home.

“I’m walking to my car and I call my Mom. I’m really upset because I felt so bad that I had been working and this mandatory quarantine notice came out. It’s hard as a nurse . . . you want to help. . . . My mom asked if I have any symptoms. The truth was I did have symptoms, but none of the COVID flagged symptoms. I was exhausted, my joints were hurting, and on the rather long walk to my car, while on the phone, I did feel a bit short of breath.”

She didn’t know whether those symptoms were the virus, or just her anxiety. Still, no cough. No fever.

The next day, March 16, she called a COVID-19 employee hot line and alerted them that she had been in Eagle County. She’d already hunkered down at home, ready to self-quarantine for at least 14 days.

“Good thing, too,” Bullock recounted, “because I am bed bound.” She slept from 6 p.m. that night until nearly 10 the following morning.

Tuesday, March 17 arrived.

“I feel terrible and a different kind of terrible than I have ever felt,” she wrote. Still no fever or cough.

A nurse listened to her concerns, about her trip to Eagle County, and agreed to set an appointment for her to be tested the next day, Wednesday, March 18, at 11 a.m. That day she vomited once, had diarrhea twice. And she was two days in to having lost her sense of smell and taste.

“The first time I noticed it, when I was at home Monday morning, my roommate had made coffee,” she told The Star. “That is so weird, I can’t smell it. I poured myself a cup and I couldn’t taste it.

“I also couldn’t tell the difference between hot and cold. I could see it steaming, but there was like no sensation there. When I tried to have a Popsicle the next day, I couldn’t even tell it was cold.”

On Thursday, a week after her first cold-like symptoms appeared, she was feeling a bit better but still exhausted and lay down for five hours. No appetite or — still — a fever or cough.

Friday, March 20: “More energy than I’ve had all week,” she wrote. At 6:20 p.m., she received a call about her test: positive for COVID-19.

“Why do I share this information,” Bullock wrote. “I never had a fever, I never had a cough, my shortness of breath was so hard to detect it felt like I was inventing it at times. My hallmark symptoms were fatigue, EXTREME fatigue, some congestion, some body aches, and a headache.”

She continued, “On those little ‘Covid v. Flu v. Cold v. Allergies’ I basically flunked every single category.” She never experienced the prime symptoms, but she tested positive.

“I’m so sorry there isn’t mass testing available,” she wrote. “It sucks.”

Bullock worried that there are likely countless people like her out there, largely asymptomatic when it comes to COVID-19’s prime identifiers, but who nonetheless have the potential to unwittingly transmit the virus.

“Do what you can to help people not get the virus by pulling back and kind of keeping to yourself,” she said by phone. “People really have to pay attention. If it (your health) is different from your normal day, then that would be a red flag.”

IS SHE IMMUNE NOW?

Thirteen days after her return from Colorado, when she noticed the first twinges of fatigue, Bullock feels all but healed.

“I’m feeling actually really great today,” she said on Tuesday. “I would say Sunday was probably my first symptom-free day, and yesterday I really started to feel more like myself. Today, I don’t really notice anything, so feeling good.”

Bullock lives with her fiance, Henry Depew, and two other roommates. None have gotten symptoms. All are quarantining at home with Bullock. Bullock’s wedding is scheduled for August.

“We’ll see how that unfolds. If it needs to get changed, then we’ll change it,” she said.

Guidelines out of the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention hold that those who have tested positive for COVID-19 and have remained in home isolation can leave under the following conditions.

▪ No fever for at least 72 hours (three full days ) without the use of medications to reduce fever. And ...

▪ Other symptoms such as cough or shortness of breath have improved. And ...

▪ At least seven days have passed since symptoms first appeared.

Bullock, of course, never had a cough or fever. She’s counting Monday as her first symptom-free day. Technically, she can end her self-isolation beginning this Sunday. She could return to work, but instead plans on remaining home until the end of next week.

It is still unclear whether those who contract the novel coronavirus are immune to reinfection and, if so, how strong that immunity might be. Bullock hopes that she is immune so that she can better help others.

“I do get to go back to work,” she said. “I’m still going to give a buffer on that. It would be great to be able to go back to work and help in any scenario that I can.”

[Reply]
SupDock 03:01 PM 03-25-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Source?
Also interested. I couldn't find a total tested more recently than a few days ago

This is definitely a good thing, but I am guessing that our "per capita" testing is a lot lower than some other countries.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/t...19-per-million
[Reply]
BigRedChief 03:02 PM 03-25-2020
If you have a standard scuba mask and access to a 3D printer, heres how you can make a make shift ventilator in a last ditch attempt to save someone.

[Reply]
Dartgod 03:02 PM 03-25-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Goddamn NY has around half the cases in the entire country, put a wall up and keep those ****ers in their own state.
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
This guy might.

[Reply]
BigRedChief 03:03 PM 03-25-2020
Also here how to do it with a CPAP machine:

[Reply]
KCUnited 03:03 PM 03-25-2020
Michigan and Louisiana getting hot
[Reply]
petegz28 03:03 PM 03-25-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
How many new deaths is NY reporting today?
[Reply]
Page 741 of 3903
« First < 241641691731737738739740741 74274374474575179184112411741 > Last »
Up