ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1231 of 3903
« First < 23173111311181122112271228122912301231 123212331234123512411281133117312231 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
stumppy 12:41 PM 04-08-2020
:-):-)
[Reply]
Dartgod 12:43 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by stumppy:
:-):-)
It's not funny.
[Reply]
stumppy 12:46 PM 04-08-2020
It's not funny.
Oh yes it is. irritatingly so!:-)
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 12:54 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
{sigh}

I'd use my post above from several weeks ago to attempt to explain the difference between outright disagreement vs. attempting to approach a conversation from a different perspective that hasn't been discussed yet, but it kinda gets back to this:

You don't pay any attention to what anyone who doesn't agree with you in total lockstep says anyway. And even then, you have no thoughts of your own to actually offer. You've checked any willingness you ever had to analyse information at the door....and frankly you almost certainly never had any ability to do so anyway so it's probably for the best.
Okay great so please stop acting like you know more than Fauci because you come across like you do in your posts. You probably don't even realize it but you do.

To me, you seem like an egomaniac who likes to post page long posts to show CP how smart he is. It's a bit ridiculous at times.

I never once said 'arrest anyone that leaves their home' so don't quote that. I indirectly advocated martial law but it wasn't like I wanted to see something like that happen. I just didn't want the virus to spread like crazy kill God knows how many of my fellow Americans. I never said 'hey lets get martial law going and arrest everyone that goes outside' and you know that.

Even if I did who gives a shit? I'm posting here for fun not to submit a college thesis paper on the subject.

Have a good day man.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 12:54 PM 04-08-2020
Bill Gates: This is how long it may take before Americans ‘can be completely safe’ from COVID-19

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/08/bill...ronavirus.html
[Reply]
Titty Meat 01:00 PM 04-08-2020
JUST IN: The number dead after a coronavirus outbreak at a Kansas City, Kansas, rehabilitation facility has grown to six with another 50 patients and staff testing positive.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 01:01 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by AustinChief:
So, your belief in one model over the other (even though either can fit the data) is based on what we have seen happen on cruise ships. That is as good a basis as any but it could still be a bad assumption. What were the demographic breakdowns? Pretty sure cruise ship passengers skew MUCH higher in age than the general population.

My point is, while there are certainly good reasons to favor one model over others, we should refrain from dismissing the others entirely when we are still so much in the dark.
I'm not favoring one over the other, just unpacking the potential issues with the British model much as you did with the other.
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 01:01 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
Okay great so please stop acting like you know more than Fauci because you come across like you do in your posts. You probably don't even realize it but you do.

To me, you seem like an egomaniac who likes to post page long posts to show CP how smart he is. It's a bit ridiculous at times.

I never once said 'arrest anyone that leaves their home' so don't quote that. I indirectly advocated martial law but it wasn't like I wanted to see something like that happen. I just didn't want the virus to spread like crazy kill God knows how many of my fellow Americans. I never said 'hey lets get martial law going and arrest everyone that goes outside' and you know that.

Even if I did who gives a shit? I'm posting here for fun not to submit a college thesis paper on the subject.

Have a good day man.

The easy solution to this problem is the same one I gave you for Pete earlier in the thread - put him on ignore and move on.
[Reply]
kgrund 01:04 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
Bill Gates: This is how long it may take before Americans ‘can be completely safe’ from COVID-19

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/08/bill...ronavirus.html
I struggle with the whole "until we get a vaccine" notion of things going back to normal. If your benchmark is near 0% fear, this might be true. However, if you have therapeutics available that can deeply limit getting the virus or the severity of the virus, a huge number of people are going to OK with assuming that level of risk with little concern. We assume risk every day whenever we go about our business. People will be comfortable when they perceive it is both a known and controllable risk IMO.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 01:05 PM 04-08-2020
CV19 causing large supplies of bacon

Coronavirus has pulled the rug out from under demand for pork belly and ribs, driving hog prices to their lowest level in nearly two decades.

Amid simmering concerns the nation's meatpacking capacity could tighten as workers get sick and plants close, hog farmers now also face major losses on every pig they raise and sell.

About two-thirds of pork belly, from which bacon is derived, is purchased by the food service industry, and the shutdown of restaurants, colleges and schools has hit hard.

"Demand for the belly really dropped," said Lori Stevermer, a hog farmer near Easton. "That type of pressure just continues to bring prices down."

Since March 25, the price per pound for lean hog has dropped about 20 cents. A typical hog yields about 210 pounds of lean meat, so that's a drop of $42 per animal, reflecting the lowest hog futures since 2002.

"Taking feed costs into account, it's projected we'd lose about $25 per head the next year," said Dave Preisler, director of the Minnesota Pork Producers Association.

It's not just bacon causing the decline. Closed restaurants aren't purchasing pork chops or ribs either.

Packing plants are putting more meat in storage, but they're also trying to send more bacon and other types of meat to the grocery store, where demand has been strong.

"You're trying to pivot," Stevermer said. "Instead of going to food service and restaurants, can you take that into the grocery stores? That would involve cutting the carcass a different way, and packaging it differently."

Food service companies buy bacon by the 15- or 20-pound box. Shifting the supply chain to wrap that bacon in a 12-ounce package for the grocery store takes time.

"You can't just do it overnight, and in the meantime, that product goes into freezers. That's another thing that's weighing on the market, is all that meat in storage," said Preisler.

"I just don't know that we could have invented something to make a bigger mess than this," Preisler said of the pandemic.

Another profound concern is whether packing plants — which already complained of a labor shortage — can accept all the pigs that farmers are raising for slaughter. In some states, workers tested positive for COVID-19 and plants closed as a result.

"That weighs heavily on farmers' minds, I would say," Stevermer said.

A Tyson Foods pork plant in southeast Iowa shuttered temporarily after more than two dozen workers tested positive for COVID-19, and a smattering of beef and poultry plants have closed in other parts of the country.

Unions are tracking the spread of the virus, and monitoring poultry processors in the southeastern U.S.

No meatpacking plant that Minnesota farmers primarily send hogs to has shuttered, but Preisler said capacity is declining around the country, and some farmers are feeding their pigs a little less protein so they don't grow as quickly, on the chance they won't be able to find a market for them as readily as before.

"A number of farms are doing that," Preisler said.

Sleepy Eye, Minn.-based Christensen Farms produces 3 million hogs for slaughter each year in five states.

One of its key packers, Seaboard Foods, a company based in Kansas City with a plant in Sioux City, Iowa, said it is open and operating at full capacity, while screening visitors, making "sanitization and temperature-taking stations available to our employees before and after work," cutting nonessential travel and providing masks to employees.

"The U.S. Government has identified the food supply as critical to the nation's infrastructure and has communicated the food industry has a special responsibility to continue to produce food to help feed our nation," a spokesman said a statement. "Seaboard Foods embraces and accepts this great responsibility."
[Reply]
Mecca 01:07 PM 04-08-2020
I'll take the bacon pass it over, blts forever.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:09 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by kgrund:
I struggle with the whole "until we get a vaccine" notion of things going back to normal. If your benchmark is near 0% fear, this might be true. However, if you have therapeutics available that can deeply limit getting the virus or the severity of the virus, a huge number of people are going to OK with assuming that level of risk with little concern. We assume risk every day whenever we go about our business. People will be comfortable when they perceive it is both a known and controllable risk IMO.
Yeah, I think there's a lot of room for interpretation of "completely safe" in his assessment. My 87-year-old grandfather is likely not going to be going to a Chiefs game until a vaccine is out, sure.

But for a vast majority of the population, I have to believe that we'll be able to go about life relatively normally by the fall with the exception of the areas where we truly have people crammed in like sardines (concerts, sporting events, etc.).

Masks? Sure. Temperature scans? Sure. But life has to get moving again at some point.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 01:09 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
I'll take the bacon pass it over, blts forever.
So Bacon is cheap now...... Uh silver lining anyone?
[Reply]
Titty Meat 01:09 PM 04-08-2020
Terrible news from Singapore: second wave is picking up steam. 142 new cases today and reimposition of full lockdown--cannot even have one friend over for coffee in your home without risking big fine.
https://t.co/2Cs5rkM7az h/t @Worldometers https://t.co/Y2fr0UgPyX
[Reply]
limested 01:13 PM 04-08-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Terrible news from Singapore: second wave is picking up steam. 142 new cases today and reimposition of full lockdown--cannot even have one friend over for coffee in your home without risking big fine.
https://t.co/2Cs5rkM7az h/t @Worldometers https://t.co/Y2fr0UgPyX
Exactly what will happen here if we rush to get back to 'normal'.
[Reply]
Page 1231 of 3903
« First < 23173111311181122112271228122912301231 123212331234123512411281133117312231 > Last »
Up