ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 338 of 382
« First < 238288328334335336337338 339340341342348 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>50 Beers to Try Before You Die
NewChief 06:18 AM 04-24-2010
Thought the beer snobs here might like this article (and probably critique the hell out of it).

http://www.wisdeo.com/articles/view_post/2984
(CBS) You've heard of "100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall"?

How about 50 to try before you die?!
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Bearcat 07:10 PM 12-09-2021
Originally Posted by TimBone:
Yeah, when I go to the bigger cities here, I'm noticing that we're starting to get much better distribution from out of state, but sometimes we're getting them a month or so after release. Which is fine if they're in refrigerated trucks, which I'm told most distributors use.

However, I live in rural Louisiana, and I can't buy Ghost from our local store during the summers here, because even though it's hitting the shelf here a week or two after release, it tastes off, like it's been sitting in a hot truck for a few days, with Louisiana heat beating on it.
A server at Toppling Goliath (whatever it's worth/however outdated) said they require refrigeration throughout the process, so they're pretty picky who they work with and where their beer goes, so maybe one reason it's still pretty damn good a few months later.

As someone who does the opposite and compares stouts as they age, it would be interesting to do the opposite and see how much better an IPA is fresh, then give it some time. Can't say I drink enough IPAs to really notice (or at least not enough fresh).

I forgot to check dates on cans when grabbing a few in Florida for a buddy... they were a few months old and he wouldn't even take them. :-) Serious business.
[Reply]
phisherman 07:20 PM 12-09-2021
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
A server at Toppling Goliath (whatever it's worth/however outdated) said they require refrigeration throughout the process, so they're pretty picky who they work with and where their beer goes, so maybe one reason it's still pretty damn good a few months later.

As someone who does the opposite and compares stouts as they age, it would be interesting to do the opposite and see how much better an IPA is fresh, then give it some time. Can't say I drink enough IPAs to really notice (or at least not enough fresh).

I forgot to check dates on cans when grabbing a few in Florida for a buddy... they were a few months old and he wouldn't even take them. :-) Serious business.
Their KC rep isn't that particular about refrigeration though he is pretty picky about dates, like any quality rep should be.

Disclaimer, I know this because I party with the dude all the time. Well, also because I see TG cans sitting warm on shelves all the time all over the city.
[Reply]
Bearcat 07:58 PM 12-09-2021
Originally Posted by phisherman:
Their KC rep isn't that particular about refrigeration though he is pretty picky about dates, like any quality rep should be.

Disclaimer, I know this because I party with the dude all the time. Well, also because I see TG cans sitting warm on shelves all the time all over the city.
Yeah, just saw Pompeii on shelves here the other day, even though they typically have some in their fridge, too.

I took it with a grain of salt... she had worked there for years and I'm sure TG had great intentions when they were smaller, but even then, it's not like you can control 'the last mile', much less every stop along the way.
[Reply]
TimBone 09:54 PM 12-09-2021

Yeah, most quality breweries have great intentions, but like you mentioned further down in this thread, they can't control the quality down the road.

Funny you mention comparing IPAs to compare fresh to not so fresh, because I did that this year. I saved one can from Parish's DDH Ghost release in May, knowing they'd likely release it again late November. I kept the can in the fridge the entire time. And popped it open with a fresh can from November's release, the night I got home from picking up the November cans.

The May can held up enough to still be drinkable, but the fall-off was definitely noticeable. There was a lot less carbonation and even my wife noticed a staleness to the hops. And that's with it being fridge stored.

I'm not a super asshole about dates, but I do try to drink IPAs as fresh as possible, and I will always prefer stores/breweries that keep the cans cold in storage.
[Reply]
Bearcat 10:04 PM 12-09-2021
Yeah, most quality breweries have great intentions, but like you mentioned further down in this thread, they can't control the quality down the road.

Funny you mention comparing IPAs to compare fresh to not so fresh, because I did that this year. I saved one can from Parish's DDH Ghost release in May, knowing they'd likely release it again late November. I kept the can in the fridge the entire time. And popped it open with a fresh can from November's release, the night I got home from picking up the November cans.

The May can held up enough to still be drinkable, but the fall-off was definitely noticeable. There was a lot less carbonation and even my wife noticed a staleness to the hops. And that's with it being fridge stored.

I'm not a super asshole about dates, but I do try to drink IPAs as fresh as possible, and I will always prefer stores/breweries that keep the cans cold in storage.
Hmm, interesting... and my mind didn't even go to saving one and waiting for a new release. I just though about putting a few in the fridge and being a little more disappointed every few months. :-)

Ironically, the IPAs I bought in Florida were literally called Fresh, from Civil Society.... after being asked about the dates when I got home and sadly noticing how old they were, I wanted to Sharpie "-ish" on the cans.

[Reply]
TimBone 11:07 PM 12-09-2021
Hmm, interesting... and my mind didn't even go to saving one and waiting for a new release. I just though about putting a few in the fridge and being a little more disappointed every few months. :-)

Ironically, the IPAs I bought in Florida were literally called Fresh, from Civil Society.... after being asked about the dates when I got home and sadly noticing how old they were, I wanted to Sharpie "-ish" on the cans.

Damn. Civil Society makes great beer, too. I had Fresh once, but it was a number of years ago. I remember it being good.

What's the date on your cans?
[Reply]
Cosmos 12:11 AM 12-10-2021
Should merge with Suicide Pod thread…
[Reply]
Bearcat 08:37 AM 12-10-2021
Damn. Civil Society makes great beer, too. I had Fresh once, but it was a number of years ago. I remember it being good.

What's the date on your cans?
The Florida thing was back in early April and I want to say the cans were dated late January or maybe February. Had also picked up some J Wakfield's and stopped in there for a flight of stouts, ended up basically trading one of their collabs for a Mornin Delight from the same guy. It was a pretty good unintentional beer trip considering I didn't even make it to Tampa.... and since I don't do trades besides a few exchanges here, traveling is the main way I fill out the state/region beer map in my head.
[Reply]
KCUnited 08:53 AM 12-10-2021
Toppling Goliath sits unrefrigerated on shelves here for months. Not all stores have the fridge capacity so the pecking order goes Bud/Miller/Coors, then locals, then whatevers left.

That said, the DDH King Sue that landed here last week was fire.

Also, pre-canning TG wasn't super diligent about making dates clear on their bottles. I spent many a minute trying catch the bottle in the right light at the liquor store just trying to find the date.
[Reply]
TimBone 10:48 AM 12-10-2021
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Toppling Goliath sits unrefrigerated on shelves here for months. Not all stores have the fridge capacity so the pecking order goes Bud/Miller/Coors, then locals, then whatevers left.

That said, the DDH King Sue that landed here last week was fire.

Also, pre-canning TG wasn't super diligent about making dates clear on their bottles. I spent many a minute trying catch the bottle in the right light at the liquor store just trying to find the date.
Yeah, there were people complaining online down here about a specific store leaving all their craft on shelves while Bud/Miller/Coors filled the coolers. The manager of the store replied to the comments basically saying fuck off because Bud/Miller/Coors is what pays the bills. It sucks, but I understand the logic.

Also, DDH King Sue is legit one of the best beers I've had. I have a MN trading partner that hooks me up, and it is fucking wonderful.
[Reply]
TimBone 11:20 AM 12-10-2021
The Florida thing was back in early April and I want to say the cans were dated late January or maybe February. Had also picked up some J Wakfield's and stopped in there for a flight of stouts, ended up basically trading one of their collabs for a Mornin Delight from the same guy. It was a pretty good unintentional beer trip considering I didn't even make it to Tampa.... and since I don't do trades besides a few exchanges here, traveling is the main way I fill out the state/region beer map in my head.
That ain't too terrible on the dates. In the rural areas down here, I've got to be extra diligent, or it's possible to end up with a year+ old IPAs.

How were the Wakefield stouts?
[Reply]
phisherman 11:28 AM 12-10-2021
I don't think I've ever had a bad Wakefield stout.
[Reply]
Bearcat 12:37 PM 12-10-2021
That ain't too terrible on the dates. In the rural areas down here, I've got to be extra diligent, or it's possible to end up with a year+ old IPAs.

How were the Wakefield stouts?
The flight was fantastic... heavy, meal-worthy stouts. A gingerbread stout that was excellent and a coffee stout that stood out.

We were there just before their Wakefield fest (whatever they call it), so unfortunately they didn't have much to take home, but grabbed a 4 pack of "No Aspirations to Quit the Game" and it's pretty solid.... still have a couple of those.

Also brought home a New Image Unreasonable Ninja strawberry stout that was good. The only downer was a Funky Buddha Maple porter, that was just okay despite being rated like a 99 (to the style, of course, as it's not supposed to be a diabetes stout).
[Reply]
KCUnited 06:21 PM 12-10-2021
If I only accomplish one thing here, its to prop up Revolution's barrel program to where it belongs.

X.O. Lynott's - Single Barrel - 14.3%
This final Heaven Hill Bourbon barrel of OG Jamo-nilla base has spent five years in our stacks. Rich, silky chocolate notes erupt through a lattice of caramel and American oak.

Sanctuary #12 - Double Barrel X.O.D. - Single Barrel - 17.1%
A pair of leaky Four Roses Bourbon Deth's Tar barrels were combined to fill a single Heaven Hill Bourbon barrel before aging an additional four years. After roughly five years of aging it's emerged with equally heady measures of rich chocolate, American oak, and alcohol.

[Reply]
TimBone 07:13 PM 12-10-2021
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
If I only accomplish one thing here, its to prop up Revolution's barrel program to where it belongs.

X.O. Lynott's - Single Barrel - 14.3%

This final Heaven Hill Bourbon barrel of OG Jamo-nilla base has spent five years in our stacks. Rich, silky chocolate notes erupt through a lattice of caramel and American oak.

Sanctuary #12 - Double Barrel X.O.D. - Single Barrel - 17.1%

A pair of leaky Four Roses Bourbon Deth's Tar barrels were combined to fill a single Heaven Hill Bourbon barrel before aging an additional four years. After roughly five years of aging it's emerged with equally heady measures of rich chocolate, American oak, and alcohol.

Just had a can last night! V.S.O.R 2019. It was outstanding.
[Reply]
Page 338 of 382
« First < 238288328334335336337338 339340341342348 > Last »
Up