ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 144 of 202
« First < 4494134140141142143144 145146147148154194 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Eric Berry has a Haglund’s deformity on his heel
DaFace 01:06 PM 09-29-2018
Yes, it's in the other thread. Bite me.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/...ty-on-his-heel

REPORT: Eric Berry has a Haglund’s deformity on his heel
New information on Berry’s sore heel injury emerged on Saturday.

By Pete Sweeney Sep 29, 2018, 1:15pm CDT

Eric Berry has not practiced or played for the Kansas City Chiefs since August 11 in St. Joseph, Missouri, because of what the team has described as a “sore heel.”

The last we heard from the Chiefs athletic training staff was in early September, when head athletic trainer Rick Burkholder described the injury as “literally day to day.”

More information on Berry’s injury emerged Saturday morning, via NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo:

Mike Garafolo: “My understanding, and I’ve spoken to people familiar with his injury situation. He’s got what’s called a Haglund’s deformity in that Achilles. That’s a bone spur that basically digs into the Achilles. Shaun O’ Hara, our colleague at NFL Network, he had it. I spoke to him this week. He said it is extremely painful. He actually used a more colorful word that I won’t use here. It’s just something that continues to irritate the area. Some guys have been able to play with it—you get a shoe here or there, you can adjust … but that’s what’s going on. It’s going to be a pain management thing. It’s not like this thing will tear the Achilles necessarily. A lot of these cases don’t result in a tear, but that’s why with Berry right now, he has not played, and they’ve been doing OK. That’s going to allow them a little bit more patience with Berry, but it is extremely painful.”

This provides a little more clarity than Berry’s injury simply being a “sore heel,” which is good, but what’s bad is there still seems to be no timetable. Remember, Berry missed nearly the entirety of the 2017 season due to a ruptured Achilles on the other leg.

Chiefs head coach Andy Reid was mum on the injury when asked about it Saturday afternoon after the Chiefs’ final practice of the week.

Berry is officially ruled doubtful heading into the Monday night game against the Denver Broncos.

----

Here are the notes from our in-house medical expert, Aaron Borgmann:

A lot of talk today regarding something known as a Haglund’s deformity. It was reported by a media source that the player in question suffers from this condition. This discussion is not to confirm or deny that possibility, as I can only explain the available information that we have been given. To be clear, the team has not confirmed this diagnosis and I have no advance knowledge of the player’s current condition.

The simple explanation here that it is indeed a bone spur on the backside of someone’s heel. This is frequently known as a “pump bump” from the occurrence that it is often seen in women’s fashion from the shoes that they wear. However, incidence in football players is also common, sometimes referred to as “retrocalcaneal bursitis” as well.

The bone spur irritates the bursa (fluid-filled sac) that sits between the bone and the tendon or even the tendon itself directly. This can cause a great deal of inflammation and discomfort with any sort of dynamic ankle/foot movement, worse with pressure on the spot itself.

Having one in and of itself it not uncommon, but the degree to which it bothers someone is the issue. Depending upon demands of movement, these can range from debilitating to just a nuisance. Obviously, in football players, the degree of inflammation is what dictates the level of function.

These are diagnosed both visually and radiographically and it is a situation where if you see it and player complains of certain symptoms (pain with movement in that exact spot, swelling, redness) then you can be pretty sure that is what it is.

Treatment focuses on reduction of inflammation obviously directly over the spot. This can be done both topically and through systemic medication. Soft tissue lengthening in both the calf and bottom of the foot is also done to alleviate the issue from both sides – this is due to the fact that both the calf and plantar fascia connect to the calcaneus (heel bone) on either side.

Not to be forgotten is footwear modification and adjustment. Very rigid shoes can cause this irritation, and in some athletes, I would even cut the shoe in the heel to allow room for the bump. Other options include specialized padding and friction reduction methods. Heel lifts have been shown to be helpful in some.

For this condition, non-surgical intervention is preferred to reduce the inflammation as opposed to surgical due to the immobilization period.

If the inflammation can be reduced and the function level high, many players learned to adapt their daily routines to accommodate. They may have to put in a bit more time in order to get ready due to the condition’s demands but can nonetheless get by and still perform at a high level.
[Reply]
Flying High D 09:06 AM 11-16-2018
Originally Posted by -King-:
I heard Berry faked his cancer just to get a year off.
Posted via Mobile Device
I heard he looks like a homeless person so people will give him money to help him get on his feet.
[Reply]
FringeNC 10:14 AM 11-16-2018
Maybe now that we have our franchise QB, we will quit overpaying on 2nd contracts for D guys. It's been a disaster.
[Reply]
notorious 10:35 AM 11-16-2018
Originally Posted by FringeNC:
Maybe now that we have our franchise QB, we will quit overpaying on 2nd contracts for D guys. It's been a disaster.
Huge post.

This can’t ever be said enough.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 10:45 AM 11-16-2018
Hypothetically, what are the cap ramifications of trading Berry? Find a team flush with cap space and trade them Berry and a 5th just to dump his salary.
[Reply]
Marcellus 10:55 AM 11-16-2018
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
Hypothetically, what are the cap ramifications of trading Berry? Find a team flush with cap space and trade them Berry and a 5th just to dump his salary.
:-)

Do you wonder why people give you shit about the dumb shit you post?
[Reply]
Yosef_Malkovitch 10:55 AM 11-16-2018
Love this idea. I've thought about it before. Sadly, I doubt anyone's going to bite on the offer. Although I would try to just give up a 7th.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 10:58 AM 11-16-2018
Originally Posted by Marcellus:

My God you're such a dumb fucking cunt.

The Texans did this when they traded Osweiller to Cleveland. It's not unfathomable, or unprecedented, to trade a player for pretty much nothing to dump salary.
[Reply]
Marcellus 11:01 AM 11-16-2018
Originally Posted by notorious:
Huge post.

This can’t ever be said enough.
Its a risk but its not like it never works out. Chicago isn't bitching about trading and paying Mack right now.

Aside from Mahomes and Hill eventually getting paid on defense in the next year or 2 we lose Houston and Ford, and Chris Jones will be due to be paid.

There is money to be spent, just have to figure out where. I hope Speaks, Kpass and Watts all pan out.
[Reply]
Marcellus 11:01 AM 11-16-2018
My God you're such a dumb ****ing ****.

The Texans did this when they traded Osweiller to Cleveland. It's not unfathomable, or unprecedented, to trade a player for pretty much nothing to dump salary.
It ain't happening dumb ****. You would need to find a team in complete tear down who HAD to spend the money. Something that has happened 1 time in NFL history isn't the norm. And oh yea, the GM that made that trade got fired that season.
[Reply]
dirk digler 11:42 AM 11-16-2018
If he plays, you really think the very first game he plays will be the playoff game?
Posted via Mobile Device

The clock is ticking, he really needs to be back playing by week 13-14
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 11:43 AM 11-16-2018
Originally Posted by Marcellus:

He's beyond an idiot to think anyone would trade for Berry but that's frequently the level of intelligence of his posts.

It is what it is w Berry. I wouldn't worry about it. When he comes back great if he doesn't oh well. Life goes on we've still got a great team wout him and we still have the best young QB in the NFL.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 11:48 AM 11-16-2018
Originally Posted by Red Dawg:
Berry fucked us over every chance he got with his contract. He and he alone is the reason he hasn't made an attempt to play. He's a selfish asshole we need to get rid of.

We stood by him and paid him in full for a year for his treatments and then he held us for a kings ransom. We should all be done with him.
That's how I feel.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 11:48 AM 11-16-2018
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
He's beyond an idiot to think anyone would trade for Berry but that's frequently the level of intelligence of his posts.

It is what it is w Berry. I wouldn't worry about it. When he comes back great if he doesn't oh well. Life goes on we've still got a great team wout him and we still have the best young QB in the NFL.
If you had things your way Alex Smith would still be here. Your opinion is automatically null and void as a Smith fanboy. Now shut your mouth.
[Reply]
CoMoChief 12:11 PM 11-16-2018
If he plays, you really think the very first game he plays will be the playoff game?
Posted via Mobile Device

Well to be honest, I don't think he's going to play at all.

But if he does, it's not going to be until the playoffs, because that's when the Chiefs will need all hands on deck.

Maybe the Chiefs winning like they've been changed the Chiefs outlook on Berry. I don't think anyone would have imagined back in Aug, the Chiefs would be looking at obtaining the 1-seed HFA in playoffs w/ Mahomes setting all sorts of records on offense, etc...That can certainly change the way teams go about doing things, how they handle certain situations etc...

I believe as long as the Chiefs are winning without Berry, and they continue to be in the driver's seat to obtain HFA in the playoffs (esp if NE/LAC/PIT help out and lose in meantime), then there won't be any reason to play him and risk getting injured, until they HAVE to play him.

He never got the surgery to fix said issue so he's just dealing w/ said pain...pain so bad that he can't even practice on it. So it's not something that's going to get any better unless he gets it surgically repaired.

Which is why I don't know why he just didn't get it fixed back in Aug. Unless they determined a full surgical recovery wouldnt be fully healed until after season's end, thus ending his 2018 season, and he maybe thought he could try and play on it but can't. He's not practicing because it hurts too much. The more he puts pressure on it and stresses it, the more it's going to hurt. Well then why not place him in IR? Well good question..maybe a roster spot left open for Berry with slightest chance of him coming back outweighs whatever PS guy or FA JAG they're going to fill that roster spot with. You're allowed to have 53 guys, Chiefs are playing really w/ 52, and I guess they're ok w/ it.

I just really see it as only 2 options, both are just about as shitty:
-Eric Berry doesn't play at all. Which is what I predict will happen...
-Eric Berry plays only in postseason, when it matters most, to save himself from as much soreness as possible.

My main concern over the latter, is that the Chiefs do put him in the game, and he gets destroyed and costs the team pts.

Both scenarios are shitty. His contract is fucking shitty. The amount of time he's missed over the course of his career has been shitty. From a franchise biz standpoint, I wish the Chiefs would just move the fuck on from Berry and let him be someone else's problem. Unfortunately that can't happen. Great player, huge inspiration for others, cancer survivors etc...

But contracts matter in the NFL, and the Chiefs have a couple of doozies on their roster...but at least one is playing and playing at a somewhat high level, at least he's making plays that help the Chiefs win games.

This obviously wouldn't matter if Berry wasn't a $19M/yr safety who hasn't seen the field in almost 2 full seasons, about to turn 30.
[Reply]
bowener 12:22 PM 11-16-2018
Originally Posted by Red Dawg:
Berry fucked us over every chance he got with his contract. He and he alone is the reason he hasn't made an attempt to play. He's a selfish asshole we need to get rid of.

We stood by him and paid him in full for a year for his treatments and then he held us for a kings ransom. We should all be done with him.
He didn't fuck me over for a second. It isn't my money. Let me ask you something: If your contract is up at work are you going to go into your bosses office and roll over like a bitch and take what they want to give you or do you counter and try to get every last dime you can get from them? I guarantee you aren't more worried about your bosses profits than you are about your own paycheck. If you are.... well that is sad as fuck.

So to everybody that thinks Berry is an asshole for wanting the money he outright earned with his ridiculous abilities on the field, they can eat a bag of fat dicks.

Ownership knows the risks of these contracts. They know that injuries happen. They knew the history of Berry's health and were still ok with it.

So, if you're pissy about him sitting out this long while being paid, be mad at Hunt and Dorsey. If you think he is faking the injury for some stupid fucking reason I don't even know how to respond to that. You have no fucking clue why he hasn't played. None. We've only heard rumors and tiny bits of information. The entire team of the Chiefs seems to be fine with it, as are the coaches and ownership. Not one thing has slipped out about them being displeased with him. They know what the fuck is going on, and are completely content. So why are you so outraged?
[Reply]
Page 144 of 202
« First < 4494134140141142143144 145146147148154194 > Last »
Up