ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2648 of 3903
« First < 1648214825482598263826442645264626472648 264926502651265226582698274831483648 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
MahomesMagic 05:29 PM 07-17-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
This is why people have been encouraged to get tested, even if they don't have any symptoms.

Hell, my wife got tested again today because she's taken the kids to the beach a few times this week, even though she doesn't have any symptoms.

Creating data points is very helpful to the doctors and scientists that are studying this virus.
In a perfect world that would be great. Unfortunately in the world we exist in if enough of us go get tested and are positive we can then create an "outbreak" and face consequences to our lives and businesses. If I had faith these numbers would be used wisely then I would agree with you.
[Reply]
Donger 05:34 PM 07-17-2020
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
What you are not following is that the detected cases does not actually tell us how many people have it.

I have never felt sick and have never been tested. Do I have it now? Who knows.
I'm aware of that. I'm find with the 10 x confirmed estimate. But confirmed (tested positive) cases are important.

Yet, you stated this:

I don't care about cases.

[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:42 PM 07-17-2020
In a perfect world that would be great. Unfortunately in the world we exist in if enough of us go get tested and are positive we can then create an "outbreak" and face consequences to our lives and businesses. If I had faith these numbers would be used wisely then I would agree with you.
Don't test? Who cares! Test? More cases!
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 05:43 PM 07-17-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
I'm aware of that. I'm find with the 10 x confirmed estimate. But confirmed (tested positive) cases are important.

Yet, you stated this:

I don't care about cases.
Yes, I don't care about cases. We can't use them to determine whether the virus is growing or retreating so for that reason they are less than useless.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 05:45 PM 07-17-2020
Don't test? Who cares! Test? More cases!
Only test I would agree to now would be antibody test. Because those would be used by people that know what they are doing.

The PCR tests don't illuminate.
[Reply]
BWillie 05:46 PM 07-17-2020
I like how two months ago people were talking about Sweden and how we should do what they were doing because it wasn't very stringent. Welp. They have more deaths per capita than we do.

I think that's a good example of what not to do.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 05:55 PM 07-17-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I like how two months ago people were talking about Sweden and how we should do what they were doing because it wasn't very stringent. Welp. They have more deaths per capita than we do.

I think Sweden showed that the Emperor has no clothes.

They brought R below 1 with no business closures, school closures or masks.

The two things they did wrong were protection of nursing homes where 73% of their deaths happened and they coded deaths too liberally so that everyone who died with Covid was counted. I would count those differently and then you have almost the perfect strategy.
[Reply]
petegz28 05:55 PM 07-17-2020
Originally Posted by Strongside:
Is there a running count or list of CP members who have contracted?
Originally Posted by BWillie:

However their daily deaths seem to be rather low now. They had 10 today. I don't know if what they did was right or wrong but there is some logic to taking it on the chin once than taking a body blow over and over and over.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:07 PM 07-17-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
However their daily deaths seem to be rather low now. They had 10 today. I don't know if what they did was right or wrong but there is some logic to taking it on the chin once than taking a body blow over and over and over.
But Sweden is a completely different country altogether.

They don't have the same amount ethnic diversity nor do they have extreme poverty. They also have a healthcare system for all (not trying to argue policy, just stating facts).

It's a very, very, very different country than the United States.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 06:07 PM 07-17-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
They also will not have deaths from lockdown. It's only a guess right now but I am seeing some people state US lockdown policies have already killed 30,000 to 50,000 people. If we keep up the zero cases experiment we could well end up killing more than 100,000 here.
[Reply]
Donger 06:11 PM 07-17-2020
Yes, I don't care about cases. We can't use them to determine whether the virus is growing or retreating so for that reason they are less than useless.
Of course we can. Do you deny that new cases are presently increasing in the United States overall? If you're attempting to argue that we are only seeing new cases growth because we've increased testing to match, I can prove that wrong easily.

And, we can also look at the positivity in the areas which are seeing increases as confirmation, not that it's needed.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 06:14 PM 07-17-2020
Of course we can. Do you deny that new cases are presently increasing in the United States overall? If you're attempting to argue that we are only seeing new cases growth because we've increased testing to match, I can prove that wrong easily.

And, we can also look at the positivity in the areas which are seeing increases as confirmation, not that it's needed.
I think there is real growth in the Sun Belt states. Increased testing also plays a big part. It's hard to know about % positivity when certain places in Florida are reporting 100% positive cases.
[Reply]
Donger 06:16 PM 07-17-2020
But Sweden is a completely different country altogether.

They don't have the same amount ethnic diversity nor do they have extreme poverty. They also have a healthcare system for all (not trying to argue policy, just stating facts).

It's a very, very, very different country than the United States.
It's not accurate to say that Sweden took no mitigation efforts. And, they are now applying those efforts to a greater extent than their neighbors. Guess what happened?

Things began to improve.

That's one of the things that is maddening about this. It's spread by people. People not interacting as much and/or being masked has been SHOWN to drive the R0 down.

Yet, some people attempt to argue against those facts. I get it: they have an agenda. But to ignore facts because you don't like them is asinine.
[Reply]
jdubya 06:21 PM 07-17-2020
Did I just read that Sweden is a different country than the United States? And all these years I thought........

Mind=Blown

:-)
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 06:32 PM 07-17-2020
Yet, some people attempt to argue against those facts. I get it: they have an agenda. But to ignore facts because you don't like them is asinine.
Agreed.

We're almost back to a complete lockdown here so it'll be interesting to see when the number of cases begin to descend.
[Reply]
Page 2648 of 3903
« First < 1648214825482598263826442645264626472648 264926502651265226582698274831483648 > Last »
Up