ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 13 of 18
« First < 3910111213 14151617 > Last »
Media Center>Which Great Movie Do You Actually Hate?
Frazod 04:55 PM 02-21-2019
This video popped up on my YouTube feed. Seemed like a good basis for a thread.

The five films discussed in the video, panned by various Brits to the general disdain of other Brits off camera, are The Shining, Forrest Gump, the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Gone With the Wind and The Blair Witch Project.

I think the first three guys are mostly nuts, wholeheartedly agree regarding GWTW, and argue that Blair Witch was never great in the first place.

So what great movie(s) do you hate? I'll chime my picks in later.
[Reply]
InChiefsHeaven 10:07 AM 01-20-2022
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
You need to smoke more weed.
There is something to that, as every one of my friends who love that movie also used to smoke weed, and if not for the need to be clean for work or whatever would still be smoking it.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:09 AM 01-20-2022
Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven:
There is something to that, as every one of my friends who love that movie also used to smoke weed, and if not for the need to be clean for work or whatever would still be smoking it.
To be honest, I don't think I've ever seen a bad movie or TV show. Weed makes everything better. :-)
[Reply]
BigBeauford 10:26 AM 01-20-2022
Fuck it: I didn't enjoy 2001: A Space Odyssey.
[Reply]
Third Eye 10:26 AM 01-20-2022
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
I've only watched it once, and remember enjoying it. I'm definitely gen-x.

Might have to watch it again to see how it holds up.
Yeah, I’m definitely Gen X as well. Every single dude I knew just used to rave about that movie, but I just hated it. I’m not a big Willem Dafoe fan and he is just so far over the top and awful in this movie.
[Reply]
HC_Chief 10:47 AM 01-20-2022
Originally Posted by Third Eye:
I’m not sure if this movie is really considered great, but if you’re a certain age you’re supposed to think Boondock Saints is awesome. What a dogshit movie.

Edit: just looked it up to see it has a 28% Rotten Tomatoes score, so I’m clearly not alone in my thinking. Doesn’t change the fact that almost every Gen X dude I know would nearly ejaculate when talking about that movie.
Gen-X'er here... hated it as well. Recommended constantly so I finally broke down and watched it. Wow. Stupid. Do not get why people love it, but hey, as a wise man once said "...you weren't put on this earth to 'get it'..." (Mr Burton). Man, now I need to go watch Big Trouble in Little China again... for like the 500th time
[Reply]
Raiderhater 10:49 AM 01-20-2022
Yeah, I’m definitely Gen X as well. Every single dude I knew just used to rave about that movie, but I just hated it. I’m not a big Willem Dafoe fan and he is just so far over the top and awful in this movie.
He was supposed to be. This isn't a movie that was trying to take itself seriously. That is part of its enjoyability.
[Reply]
Otter 11:09 AM 01-20-2022
Originally Posted by Rausch:
Any movie released in the last 4 years that was considered great.

I never did find Dr. Strangelove all that great. I love dark comedy and loved cold war flicks and for whatever reason I just don't care for it at all.

Same for Fargo.

Never did like Pretty Woman.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the war room!" that scene alone made the movie worthwhile.
[Reply]
HC_Chief 11:14 AM 01-20-2022
Originally Posted by Otter:
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the war room!" that scene alone made the movie worthwhile.
“Sir! I have a plan! [standing up from his wheelchair] Mein Führer! I can walk!”

:-)

Love that movie. Masterwork in dark humor.
[Reply]
gblowfish 11:20 AM 01-20-2022
The Sound of Music.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:35 AM 01-20-2022
Originally Posted by Frazod:
She was just broken. Falling for broken women rarely ends well. Trust me on that one. :-)

Also, she clearly got her shit together and had done her best to become a responsible mother for several years. The apartment they lived in was decent and clean, and the kid was well-mannered. I think she reached out to Forrest mainly out of concern for the kid's well-being once she realized she was dying.
She's a bit of a trope. And every attempt at them is pretty grating (and they even gender swap them sometimes and they still suck).

The worst version of her is the mother in Armageddon. She spends the whole movie shitting on Will Patton to his kid - won't even acknowledge he exists.

Oh but now that he's saved the world, it's all good! And it's supposed to be some kind of touching moment. Jesus Michael Bay - are you that detached from actual humanity? Why would you ever think the audience would be like 'awwwww...' rather than "hey! Fuck that woman!"
[Reply]
Rasputin 12:51 PM 01-20-2022
Twister and anything with Nicholas Cage. I almost liked Ghost Rider I just hated his parts in it.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 01:09 PM 01-20-2022
Originally Posted by Frazod:
She was just broken. Falling for broken women rarely ends well. Trust me on that one. :-)

Also, she clearly got her shit together and had done her best to become a responsible mother for several years. The apartment they lived in was decent and clean, and the kid was well-mannered. I think she reached out to Forrest mainly out of concern for the kid's well-being once she realized she was dying.
I can actually agree here. She had a terrible home life. It's been a while since I watched but I feel like there was an implication of physical and sexual abuse.

Not to mention Forrest was probably in his 30s at that point and had never been with anyone but Jenny. At least he got his son out of it.
[Reply]
srvy 03:02 PM 01-20-2022
Dances with Wolves

Total complete fabrication of Native Americans.

The wolf was an even bigger lie. Wolves are pack animals and would have ripped him to pieces as a pack.
[Reply]
Buehler445 03:22 PM 01-20-2022
I’m not sure if this movie is really considered great, but if you’re a certain age you’re supposed to think Boondock Saints is awesome. What a dogshit movie.

Edit: just looked it up to see it has a 28% Rotten Tomatoes score, so I’m clearly not alone in my thinking. Doesn’t change the fact that almost every Gen X dude I know would nearly ejaculate when talking about that movie.
LOL.

I haven’t watched it in a decade but I thought it was fucking hilarious. I viewed it as a violent comedy not some sort of serious piece.

I’ve got buddies that I’ll still throw the “I killed your cat you druggie bitch!” Line at.

And I’ll fire off a “you and your fucking rope” at virtually anybody that makes me do anything with a rope.

I think it’s funnier than hell.
[Reply]
CoMoChief 03:28 PM 01-20-2022
Originally Posted by listopencil:
Awww. So sorry that this beloved Christmas classic, this perfectly preserved bit of Americana, this wonderful expression of visual art...doesn't have enough titties and 'splosions for you. I'm sure there will be another Fast And Furious sequel coming out soon for you to sink your teeth into.
You've prob seen more FF movies than I have.

But carry-on dipshit.
[Reply]
Page 13 of 18
« First < 3910111213 14151617 > Last »
Up