ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Commentary From a Pro-Bills Writer.
AdolfOliverBush 12:48 PM 01-21-2021
Maybe I should've posted this in the "Let's Talk About the Bills" thread, but whatever.

It's true that the Bills got some good players out of trading the 2017 10th overall pick to KC, but they'd hop into Doc Brown's Delorean and draft Mahomes in a heartbeat, dicks in hand.

Also, this gem: "Now they have a proven playoff winner in Allen and an all-star supporting cast to go with him and continue to build around." By his standards, Alex Smith is also a proven playoff winner.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/co...-be-put-to-bed

Let's make one thing clear before we go any further: The Buffalo Bills don't need to beat the Kansas City Chiefs in the AFC Championship Game Sunday night to somehow justify a 2017 draft-day trade that enabled the Chiefs to draft Patrick Mahomes, even if he is the best quarterback in the NFL now and on his way to becoming the best of all time.

Both teams did what they needed to do that day, and it couldn't have worked out better for either one.

The Chiefs were much closer to a finished product when they gave the Bills their first-round pick (No. 27) and a third-round pick (No. 91) in 2017 and a first-round pick in 2018 (No. 22) for the Bills' first-round pick (No. 10), which they used to select Mahomes.

Mahomes went on to become the league MVP and lead the Chiefs to their first Super Bowl title since Hank Stram ordered up the 65 toss power trap.

But the Bills were able to turn their haul into a plentiful bounty that includes cornerback Tre'Davious White, linebacker Tremaine Edmunds and left tackle Dion Dawkins.

They were not as close to a finished product as the Chiefs were then. But thanks in large part to the value received in that original trade, they are on equal footing now.

Besides, their choice of Josh Allen with the No. 7 pick in 2018, four spots after the New York Jets moved up to take Sam Darnold at No. 3, landed them a quarterback who has blossomed into one of the league's elite.

You don't need the best quarterback in the history of the world to win the Super Bowl. But you do need to put a team around one you can win with, which the Bills might not have been able to do had they stood pat and just drafted Mahomes that day.

Now they have a proven playoff winner in Allen and an all-star supporting cast to go with him and continue to build around.

White became an elite player almost immediately. Ditto for Edmunds. Both have been Pro Bowl selections in each of the last two seasons, and White was an All-Pro in 2019.

Dawkins needed a little more time to find his way, but eventually he emerged to become a key component of a team at or near its athletic peak.

"They got a good player in Patrick," coach Sean McDermott said, via ESPN, "and I think we made out as well with Josh, Tremaine and Tre'Davious -- however you kind of shape that, in terms of picks that became picks. I think both teams fared awfully well."

So before turning this contest into a referendum on that trade, try to think of how good the Bills would be right now with Mahomes but decidely lesser players at left tackle, cornerback and linebacker.

Only one team can win on Sunday, but both won on that day. That much is certain.

Regardless of Sunday night's result, this trade already has gone down in history as one both teams had to make.

Nick Fierro is the publisher of Bills Central. Check out the latest Bills news at www.si.com/nfl/bills and follow Fierro on Twitter at @NickFierro
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 06:50 PM 01-21-2021
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
The Buffalo Bills technically didn't need the draft ammo from the Mahomes trade down to draft Allen. They used their own pick to take him.

Josh Allen is only talked about in connection with that Mahomes trade in 2017 because he was taken a year later. Other than that, the two QBs aren't connected in any way.

The Bills could’ve had one of these 2 options

1) Allen, White, Edmunds, and their LT
2) Mahomes + whatever they’d have taken #10 next season

Would the Bills trade those 4 today - straight up - for Mahomes? I don’t think that’s the slam dunk everyone here says it is. They’ve got a great team already and they’re going to be around for the next 5 seasons.

Also, Allen won’t get Mahomes’ contract. And he’s a year back anyway on te rookie deal. So that’s another plus for Buffalo.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 06:55 PM 01-21-2021
Once they lose Sunday, they are going to be like "fuck those 3 guys, Patty packed our shit in....again"

That's why Prison Bitch and you know it
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 06:55 PM 01-21-2021
You don't pass on MJ for Clyde Drexler and company
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 07:08 PM 01-21-2021
Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball:
Once they lose Sunday, they are going to be like "**** those 3 guys, Patty packed our shit in....again"

That's why Prison Bitch and you know it
I sure hope so. Maybe it’s 40 years of being a Chiefs fan. Yes Patrick has exorcised much of that but anyone saying they weren’t teleported back to 1995 in last week’s 2nd half......is lying.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 07:10 PM 01-21-2021
Cole Beasley could shred us. Hes like a poor mans Wes Welker
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 07:10 PM 01-21-2021
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
I sure hope so. Maybe it’s 40 years of being a Chiefs fan. Yes Patrick has exorcised much of that but anyone saying they weren’t teleported back to 1995 in last week’s 2nd half......is lying.
Eh, more to do with Henne than the past. Dude is pretty bad and still can't believe they ran out the clock with a 3rd and 14.

The Bills are a snakebitten franchise going against a better coach and QB...not good for them
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:58 PM 01-21-2021
You can't be serious, man.

Even with Mahomes going down, they still have Reek and Kelce and Andy fucking Reid.

This team is NOTHING like those old Marty teams. NOTHING.

Look at the 4th and 1 play call and then imagine Marty doing THAT. :-)
[Reply]
Redbled 11:17 PM 01-21-2021
If the Bills hadn’t got a major hit with Allen the next year the trade would have gone down as one of the worst in history. It’s easy to say it’s a win for both teams if you add up all 4 players the best of which had zero to do with the deal where Jordan was traded away.
[Reply]
PunkinDrublic 11:19 PM 01-21-2021
Give me a break Buffalo has had a great year but get back to me when they can not only win a super bowl but dominate their division year after year like our Chiefs have. They pulled themselves out of a drought which is commendable but they are not the Chiefs equal organizationally.
[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 01:24 AM 01-22-2021
Sounds like this writer is already making his concessions and coming to terms with the Bills loss early.

Good. Good for him.

Sunday night will be much easier for him that way.
[Reply]
feldspar 05:18 AM 01-22-2021
Bills fan here.

Say what you want, but Josh Allen is the right fit for this town.

Believe me when I tell you, not drafting Mahomes was a regret...especially since we actually gave up the draft spot to you where he was picked. Hard to swallow for sure. But it still remains to be seen how Allen pans out in the long run. He's doing very well right now. Carrying the team in a lot of ways.

Buffalo seems to have a great Head Coach and GM now, along with a potential franchise QB. So things are looking up over here.

We'll see what happens on Sunday. I'm daunted by the Chiefs, but anything can happen...why I watch the games.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 07:54 AM 01-22-2021
You don't have a great anything until you break through and win a title. We finally did but until then we were only a nice story.
[Reply]
Bearcat 08:24 AM 01-22-2021
Originally Posted by feldspar:
Bills fan here.

Say what you want, but Josh Allen is the right fit for this town.

Believe me when I tell you, not drafting Mahomes was a regret...especially since we actually gave up the draft spot to you where he was picked. Hard to swallow for sure. But it still remains to be seen how Allen pans out in the long run. He's doing very well right now. Carrying the team in a lot of ways.

Buffalo seems to have a great Head Coach and GM now, along with a potential franchise QB. So things are looking up over here.

We'll see what happens on Sunday. I'm daunted by the Chiefs, but anything can happen...why I watch the games.
Agreed, it's 2018 Chiefs, basically... exciting times ahead and just like the Chiefs taking the Pats to OT in their first AFCCG since Kelly/Montana, a true challenge ahead to really see where they're at.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 08:58 AM 01-22-2021
I do get a little bit of a 2018 Chiefs vibe from this Bills squad. They have a dynamic offense, especially the passing attack. But they’re running into a team in the AFC title game that’s just a tough matchup for them on D and that has more experience.
[Reply]
Shields68 09:38 AM 01-22-2021
The Bills could’ve had one of these 2 options

1) Allen, White, Edmunds, and their LT
2) Mahomes + whatever they’d have taken #10 next season

Would the Bills trade those 4 today - straight up - for Mahomes? I don’t think that’s the slam dunk everyone here says it is. They’ve got a great team already and they’re going to be around for the next 5 seasons.

Also, Allen won’t get Mahomes’ contract. And he’s a year back anyway on te rookie deal. So that’s another plus for Buffalo.
The problem with the above logic is that I really do not think they would have taken Patrick at 10. I mean if they had Patrick high on the draft board would they have traded down that far? I could see betting Patrick is still there in a couple picks. But the only way they trade that far down is they really were not looking at a QB. If you liked Patrick, and thought he was going to be great you certainly do not trade the pick.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Up