ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 8
< 12 3456 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Is the Saints 2 QB offense the future?
RunKC 05:36 PM 04-27-2020
Very interesting pod today from our guy Terez Paylor. He mentioned specifically that everything he heard has banked on the 2 QB system being used and will be the next big thing. Terez even went as far as to say that football today could be viewed like the 80’s in 10 years with this type of new innovation that will create tons of new packages for offenses.

He actually makes it sound like every team will be getting one in the near future like the Eagles just did with Jalen Hurts.

The premise here is having that extra QB to be your Taysom Hill and put tons of stress on defenses by having him be a runner and efficient passer.

Sounds pretty interesting, but I would like the ball to be in Mr. Mahomes caring hands. I do admit I would love for Andy to put a few package plays in our playbook with John Lovett running this type of stuff.

Not a consistent thing obviously. But I’d love to see Andy trying it out
[Reply]
mdchiefsfan 05:54 PM 04-27-2020
The saying, “if you have two starters, you have none” seems to apply fairly well.
[Reply]
mdchiefsfan 05:54 PM 04-27-2020
Originally Posted by alpha_omega:
No. If you have 2QBs you really have none.
See? :-)
[Reply]
RustShack 05:54 PM 04-27-2020
Every team has at least 1 backup QB.
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 05:55 PM 04-27-2020
Maybe if you have a 40 year old starting QB with declining arm strength.

Otherwise, no.
[Reply]
Jamie 05:58 PM 04-27-2020
I've been waiting for someone to do this in earnest since Kordell Stewart. I thought that's what Tebow should have been, and I wanted us to draft Lamar Jackson to try it. To be clear, I'm not saying it'll definitely work, but I want to see it.
[Reply]
The Franchise 05:58 PM 04-27-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Sean Payton and Doug Pederson. Two super bowl winning offensive coaches that are looked upon favorably in regards to innovation.

One paid quite a bit of money to Taysom Hill. The other drafted Jalen Hurts in the 2nd rd.

Not sure if this will be “the new trend” but I’m fascinated to see what some teams do with this model.
The Saints love Taysom Hill so much that they’re sniffing around Winston. And the Eagles drafted Hurts because Wentz can’t stay healthy.
[Reply]
Rasputin 06:00 PM 04-27-2020
"Not a consistent thing obviously. But I’d love to see Andy trying it out"

Fuck that.
[Reply]
RustShack 06:04 PM 04-27-2020
Why would we want Mahomes off the field ever? He can run, and he can consistently make throws most QB’s don’t make in their life.
[Reply]
RunKC 06:05 PM 04-27-2020
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
The Saints love Taysom Hill so much that they’re sniffing around Winston. And the Eagles drafted Hurts because Wentz can’t stay healthy.
Saints just gave Taysom Hill a 2 years $21 million deal.

As for Hurts...

A source close to the #Eagles says that the team plans to use Jalen Hurts as a “staple” of the offense, describing the plan/his role as “Taysom Hill on steroids.” per @CharlesRobinson. pic.twitter.com/sLZT5aK4ZU

— Eagles Nation (@PHLEaglesNation) April 25, 2020

[Reply]
MahomesMagic 06:10 PM 04-27-2020
Problem is Jalen Hurts ain't the same level of athlete.
[Reply]
kcclone 06:17 PM 04-27-2020
For this to work, you need a guy who can run and catch fairly well. There aren’t too many QB’s that have all those skills and can learn a new position quickly.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 06:22 PM 04-27-2020
Chad Henne runs the traditional drop back stuff.

Mahomes and Ta’amu run the gadget plays.

Trust in Veach and Reid.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 06:29 PM 04-27-2020
If you have a Lamar Jackson or Mike Vick type of athlete in addition to a Mahomes, then you can probably come up with all sorts of interesting gadget plays and 2-QB looks.

The odds of have that sort of personnel is unlikely. It’ll likely never be more than a gadget type of look to cause confusion. Kinda like the wildcat.
[Reply]
Why Not? 06:36 PM 04-27-2020
Certainly not for the Chiefs for the next 15 years.
[Reply]
RunKC 06:40 PM 04-27-2020
Originally Posted by kcclone:
For this to work, you need a guy who can run and catch fairly well. There aren’t too many QB’s that have all those skills and can learn a new position quickly.
John Lovett is a much bigger, faster player than Jalen Hurts. He’s also been here learning the offense for a year.

I think people are taking this out of hand. I’d like to have Lovett be our do-it-all player. Short yardage, screens like Sherman, soe TE routes and 3-5 plays in the playbook of him throwing a pass with Mahomes on the field.

Keep in mind that Lovett would only throw a pass every once in awhile on a trick play forcing teams to respect the fact that he can pass and run at the same time. All it takes is one pass.

I’m not advocating for us to run the 2 QB package where the ball is out of Mahomes hands a lot of the time. I think it is fascinating that the Eagles and Saints are doing this though.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 8
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up