ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 11
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Nfl must change playoff concussion protocol
chiefzilla1501 07:10 PM 01-05-2020
I'm still sour about Jamaal Charles, then flowers getting knocked out of the Colts playoff game a few years ago. Regular season... Sure. But ending a season on a doctors fuzzy opinion? Yeah, not a fan of that at all.

I'd argue that concussion protocol can make playoff games even more dangerous. We saw with bountygate what lengths a team will go to to knock a player out. What incentive does a DC have to not coach dirty football they can get away with? It's easy to play super dirty without risk of targeting.

Maybe Wentz didn't want to go back in. We know that Jamaal Charles was super pissed years ago that he couldn't. What say you... Is this an nfl rule that needs to be re-thought?
[Reply]
-King- 08:25 PM 01-05-2020
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
It is at least a start. I don’t see the nfl relaxing rules on protocol. But this at least creates some kind of equal loss. Unlike targeting which ejects a player even if the other guy isn’t hurt, it seems fair that if a player knocks another player out, that player should also sit out until the hurt player clears protocol. This is at least realistic.
This is entering bad deberg troll thread territory lol. That's such a dumb idea lmao.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 08:30 PM 01-05-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Pretty clearly knocked out.
I guess I’m not seeing where it’s obviously any worse than the many plays a game that helmets are hitting things full speed. From what I remember he popped up soon after and was sprinting on the sidelines trying to get back in.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 08:32 PM 01-05-2020
Originally Posted by -King-:
This is entering bad deberg troll thread territory lol. That's such a dumb idea lmao.
So a defensive player can knock out the best offense player intentionally, and the biggest punishment to the defense is a 15 yard penalty? Are you aware that New Orleans knocked out not 1, but 2 qbs to get to the bountygate super bowl?
[Reply]
tk13 08:34 PM 01-05-2020
There is less than a zero percent chance of this. No way the NFL is opening themselves up to another lawsuit. This helps them for legal reasons as much as anything else because it protects the league and gives them something to show they're proactive.
[Reply]
KurtCobain 08:39 PM 01-05-2020
Originally Posted by MahiMike:
I agree. What happens to the guy that took him out? He should be forced to leave as well. Teams can simply target a key player and get a simple fine. I think clowney targeted him.
Isn't it the pass rushers job to target the guy doing the passing?
[Reply]
Mama Hip Rockets 08:41 PM 01-05-2020
Originally Posted by stevieray:
great thought! :-)

then you could cheer for Deshaun with a clear conscience!
:-)
[Reply]
limested 08:45 PM 01-05-2020
I guess I’m not seeing where it’s obviously any worse than the many plays a game that helmets are hitting things full speed. From what I remember he popped up soon after and was sprinting on the sidelines trying to get back in.
He is face down with arms in an unnatural position. No way he wasn’t out. Not uncommon to go dark for just a few seconds and that is all it takes.
[Reply]
-King- 08:51 PM 01-05-2020
So a defensive player can knock out the best offense player intentionally, and the biggest punishment to the defense is a 15 yard penalty? Are you aware that New Orleans knocked out not 1, but 2 qbs to get to the bountygate super bowl?
Which QBs were those?

And can you show me this happening in the concussion protocol era? Must be widespread for you to be so worried about it.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 08:53 PM 01-05-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
There is less than a zero percent chance of this. No way the NFL is opening themselves up to another lawsuit. This helps them for legal reasons as much as anything else because it protects the league and gives them something to show they're proactive.
I agree protocol likely won't change. But bountygate was a huge black eye too, and Wentz getting knocked out of the game while clowney gets zero penalty is a really bad look too. And a retroactive fine isn't going to fix it.
[Reply]
-King- 08:55 PM 01-05-2020
I agree protocol likely won't change. But bountygate was a huge black eye too, and Wentz getting knocked out of the game while clowney gets zero penalty is a really bad look too. And a retroactive fine isn't going to fix it.
It's not a bad look. Shit happens in NFL games. Most people understand that. As long as Clowney wasn't doing it maliciously, then there's no reason he should be forced out of the game or anything like that.
[Reply]
tk13 08:56 PM 01-05-2020
Yeah maybe, but none of that stuff is going to cost the NFL $1 billion in a lawsuit again.
[Reply]
threebag 08:56 PM 01-05-2020

[Reply]
SupDock 09:03 PM 01-05-2020
Originally Posted by Chiefshrink:
It is all dependent on what the player reports is going on that determines whether they are in concussion protocol or not. Some will lie to stay on the field and some will lie to get off the field. I've said all along that some players will take advantage of this to get a couple of weeks off in order to rest and still get paid while avoiding particular upcoming opposition they would rather not face.

It really is on the player whether they play or not in what they report is going on and you know all the players know what symptoms to report IF they want off the field. Some will call in sick when they are not.

The bolded is incorrect. The NFL sideline concussion assessment has objective observations.

Sure, a player is able to lie and get pulled, or state symptoms they don't have, but how the hell could you prevent that?

Also, a player cannot fake answers in regards to orientation. Either they know them or they don't.
Being able to sign a waiver to play anyway is dumb
[Reply]
Megatron96 09:08 PM 01-05-2020
If you've experienced a concussion, or been there when someone did, you'd know that people react in all kinds of ways after the event.

My worst concussion was in a football game in HS. In short, I got smashed by a guy that out-weighed me by about 60 pounds. I don't remember the event. I don't even remember the game.

What I was told afterwords by my teammates and my brother who was on the team with me, watching from the sidelines, was that I got up about ten seconds after the hit, and trotted over to the sidelines. Except I went to the other team's sidelines.

About five minutes after that play, I evidently went over to our DC and asked him to put me back in. My brother told me I asked him twice. Then I apparently threw up on his shoes. I have no memory of any of it.

The other problem is that concussions are cumulative, meaning that every concussion makes it easier to have another one. So you're never going to heal 100% from a concussion. Each one incurs a little more damage.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 09:14 PM 01-05-2020
Originally Posted by -King-:
Which QBs were those?

And can you show me this happening in the concussion protocol era? Must be widespread for you to be so worried about it.
The saints knocked Kurt Warner out on a legal but pretty dirty hit. The Brett Favre game was blatant targeting over and over again, including a dirty as hell high low hit that totally destroyed his ankle and made him finish as an ineffective cripple.

Sure, it still happens. Burfict cheap shotting Antonio brown in the playoffs. Myles Garrett, judon, etc... You don't think the ravens and jags weren't intentionally hitting mahomes late to send a message? Not saying get rid of it, but if the NFL has rules in place to create an enormous incentive for defenses to do it, why shouldn't there be thought about how to reduce that incentive? Sure some of the penalties and fines have helped some, but today should be a reminder about how impactful these things can be.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 11
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Up