< 1234 5678 >
Media Center>American Gods (STARZ)
unlurking 07:22 AM 07-23-2016

[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 11:12 PM 05-14-2017
I wanna de-virginize Zorya Polunchnya
[Reply]
Great Expectations 08:00 AM 05-15-2017
It's starting to lose steam, hopefully things pick up.

What's the deal with the fire eyes?
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 10:11 AM 05-15-2017
Originally Posted by Great Expectations:
It's starting to lose steam, hopefully things pick up.

What's the deal with the fire eyes?
The taxi driver is a djinn.
[Reply]
vailpass 11:05 AM 05-15-2017
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Kinda thought it would be a while for the gay sex but oh well.
Apparently one of the producers is a dick wrangler who felt the book didn't spend near enough time or detail on the gaysex scene. So he re-wrote a two minute scene into 10 minutes that do absolutely nothing for the story other than perpetuate his gay vision. Same guy who thought he give himself AIDS by masturbating with a cut on his hand.

The senseless re-writes continue; the pace absolutely crawls.
You were spot-on about needing to drag it out enough for two seasons. Which would be great if the were good at it.
Difference between HBO and Starz.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 11:13 AM 05-15-2017
STARZ is kind of championing the dick showing as kind of a gender equality thing.

Usually that kind of pandering annoys me, but w/ever. Fuller and Green are reading it as Salim was a repressed gay man, whereas I felt that the scene in the book was beyond a gay/straight dichotomy because the djinn is.. well, a djinn.

Overall, I liked the episode. It's strongest with McShane being on screen (duh) and Shadow is likeable if still a bit bland. Pablo being cast as Mad Sweeney is fucking amazing too and we need more of him.

Spoiler!

[Reply]
vailpass 01:30 PM 05-15-2017
STARZ is kind of championing the dick showing as kind of a gender equality thing.

Usually that kind of pandering annoys me, but w/ever. Fuller and Green are reading it as Salim was a repressed gay man, whereas I felt that the scene in the book was beyond a gay/straight dichotomy because the djinn is.. well, a djinn.

Overall, I liked the episode. It's strongest with McShane being on screen (duh) and Shadow is likeable if still a bit bland. Pablo being cast as Mad Sweeney is ****ing amazing too and we need more of him.

Spoiler!
I can put up with some back alley zipper fights in a series especially if it's balanced out by hot girl action (I'm looking at you Trueblood) but that was too much. Fast-forward FTW. I read an interview with the gay producer, Bryan Fuller, that made it pretty clear there will be more gay pandering where that came from.

Anyway though, fully agree with McShane nailing it. Not so much because hes perfect for the part, he plays the exact same guy in every show he's in, but because the part is so perfect for him.
Not very far behind him is Mad Sweeney. Dude is full on.
Shadow is a distant third up to this point.

Spoiler!

[Reply]
old_geezer 03:59 PM 05-15-2017
I thought episode one was great and was ready to settle in for a wild ride. After episodes two and three I'm ready to go to sleep. Seriously, if not for Mr. Wednesday and Mad Sweeney I would have already stopped watching. Hope they pick up the pace soon.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 11:13 PM 05-15-2017
This has been really bad, so far. I'm about one more bad episode from writing off this series.
[Reply]
vailpass 08:44 AM 05-16-2017
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
This has been really bad, so far. I'm about one more bad episode from writing off this series.
*sigh* Another good book twisted apart by bad TV writers.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 09:24 PM 05-21-2017
Spoiler!

Beyond the spoiler-y bits, the big take away is that you have to think of this as a graphic novel adaptation of Gaiman's work... except that it's a graphic novel that is animated with live action.

It's a graphic novel based on how they've chosen to shoot the scenes, the verisimilitude of what we are seeing and hearing and the subject matter at hand. It's not going to make everyone who read the novel happy, nor will it be a typical viewing experience for those who prefer episodic dramas. The events of episode 3 are going to make a lot of people uneasy and that's okay. I just hope people give it at least a full season to appraise one way or the other.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 09:40 PM 05-21-2017
Spoiler!

[Reply]
vailpass 01:35 PM 05-22-2017
Spoiler!

Beyond the spoiler-y bits, the big take away is that you have to think of this as a graphic novel adaptation of Gaiman's work... except that it's a graphic novel that is animated with live action.

It's a graphic novel based on how they've chosen to shoot the scenes, the verisimilitude of what we are seeing and hearing and the subject matter at hand. It's not going to make everyone who read the novel happy, nor will it be a typical viewing experience for those who prefer episodic dramas. The events of episode 3 are going to make a lot of people uneasy and that's okay. I just hope people give it at least a full season to appraise one way or the other.
So think of it as a comic book instead of Gaiman's work and it won't suck as bad?
I dunno man.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 01:38 PM 05-22-2017
Originally Posted by vailpass:
So think of it as a comic book instead of Gaiman's work and it won't suck as bad?
I dunno man.
Sure.

Also, it's not like Gaiman has zero influence on what's going with the show.
[Reply]
vailpass 01:44 PM 05-22-2017
Sure.

Also, it's not like Gaiman has zero influence on what's going with the show.
Got ya'; appreciate the input.
I haven't watched 4 yet, going to stay hopeful and give this season a chance to gain momentum and come together. It's not gotten off to the best of starts but we'll see.
[Reply]
vailpass 10:08 AM 05-23-2017
I watched 4. Worst episode of an already not-so-good season. SOOOO slow. I fas forwarded through 15 minutes of the first half hour of needless, boring, Shadow and Laura tripe.
I won't even touch on Laura being at Audrey's where she inexplicably needs an arm sewn back on.
It's called "American Gods", not "American Stiffs". An entire episode without showing any of the interesting characters was a horrible idea.

They've been losing viewership each week. If they want to reverse that they'd better show a whole lot more Odin and Mad Sweeney and bring in some other interesting characters or soon nobody will believe in this show and it will die.

Maybe it's different if you haven't read the book. What do those of you who have not read the book think of the series so far?
[Reply]
Page 4 of 8
< 1234 5678 >
Up