ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 5 of 5
< 12345
Nzoner's Game Room>Commentary From a Pro-Bills Writer.
AdolfOliverBush 12:48 PM 01-21-2021
Maybe I should've posted this in the "Let's Talk About the Bills" thread, but whatever.

It's true that the Bills got some good players out of trading the 2017 10th overall pick to KC, but they'd hop into Doc Brown's Delorean and draft Mahomes in a heartbeat, dicks in hand.

Also, this gem: "Now they have a proven playoff winner in Allen and an all-star supporting cast to go with him and continue to build around." By his standards, Alex Smith is also a proven playoff winner.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/co...-be-put-to-bed

Let's make one thing clear before we go any further: The Buffalo Bills don't need to beat the Kansas City Chiefs in the AFC Championship Game Sunday night to somehow justify a 2017 draft-day trade that enabled the Chiefs to draft Patrick Mahomes, even if he is the best quarterback in the NFL now and on his way to becoming the best of all time.

Both teams did what they needed to do that day, and it couldn't have worked out better for either one.

The Chiefs were much closer to a finished product when they gave the Bills their first-round pick (No. 27) and a third-round pick (No. 91) in 2017 and a first-round pick in 2018 (No. 22) for the Bills' first-round pick (No. 10), which they used to select Mahomes.

Mahomes went on to become the league MVP and lead the Chiefs to their first Super Bowl title since Hank Stram ordered up the 65 toss power trap.

But the Bills were able to turn their haul into a plentiful bounty that includes cornerback Tre'Davious White, linebacker Tremaine Edmunds and left tackle Dion Dawkins.

They were not as close to a finished product as the Chiefs were then. But thanks in large part to the value received in that original trade, they are on equal footing now.

Besides, their choice of Josh Allen with the No. 7 pick in 2018, four spots after the New York Jets moved up to take Sam Darnold at No. 3, landed them a quarterback who has blossomed into one of the league's elite.

You don't need the best quarterback in the history of the world to win the Super Bowl. But you do need to put a team around one you can win with, which the Bills might not have been able to do had they stood pat and just drafted Mahomes that day.

Now they have a proven playoff winner in Allen and an all-star supporting cast to go with him and continue to build around.

White became an elite player almost immediately. Ditto for Edmunds. Both have been Pro Bowl selections in each of the last two seasons, and White was an All-Pro in 2019.

Dawkins needed a little more time to find his way, but eventually he emerged to become a key component of a team at or near its athletic peak.

"They got a good player in Patrick," coach Sean McDermott said, via ESPN, "and I think we made out as well with Josh, Tremaine and Tre'Davious -- however you kind of shape that, in terms of picks that became picks. I think both teams fared awfully well."

So before turning this contest into a referendum on that trade, try to think of how good the Bills would be right now with Mahomes but decidely lesser players at left tackle, cornerback and linebacker.

Only one team can win on Sunday, but both won on that day. That much is certain.

Regardless of Sunday night's result, this trade already has gone down in history as one both teams had to make.

Nick Fierro is the publisher of Bills Central. Check out the latest Bills news at www.si.com/nfl/bills and follow Fierro on Twitter at @NickFierro
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 09:42 AM 01-22-2021
Originally Posted by Shields68:
The problem with the above logic is that I really do not think they would have taken Patrick at 10. I mean if they had Patrick high on the draft board would they have traded down that far? I could see betting Patrick is still there in a couple picks. But the only way they trade that far down is they really were not looking at a QB. If you liked Patrick, and thought he was going to be great you certainly do not trade the pick.
I heard that the Bills wined and dined Mitch Trubisky so it could be that the one they wanted was gone by 10.
[Reply]
RedinTexas 09:49 AM 01-22-2021
The problem with the above logic is that I really do not think they would have taken Patrick at 10. I mean if they had Patrick high on the draft board would they have traded down that far? I could see betting Patrick is still there in a couple picks. But the only way they trade that far down is they really were not looking at a QB. If you liked Patrick, and thought he was going to be great you certainly do not trade the pick.
This is a great point. The Bills took a CB with their first pick, so they might have taken Lattimore. He's a good player, but he wouldn't have returned anywhere near the value that we got out of Mahomes.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 11:04 AM 01-22-2021

I can see that. It definitely should be discussed in this thread because nobody points that out - it’s always “Well you traded away Mahomes”. When that prob isn’t even the case.
[Reply]
Page 5 of 5
< 12345
Up