ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 9 of 40
« First < 56789 1011121319 > Last »
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>The logic of drafting OT in the 1st.
Direckshun 01:23 PM 01-21-2021
What we know about this team is that it typically likes to fill its roster out as much as possible in free agency and then spend its highest picks on potential replacements for job openings a year down the road, and that includes Veach.

I doubt I even need to run down the list but:

2020: CEH --> Williams
2019: Hardman --> Hill/Watkins
2018: Speaks --> Ford/Houston
2017: Mahomes --> Smith

Fisher will be on the last year of his contract, and most of us suspect Schwartz retiring.

The Chiefs obviously like Niang but going OT 1st gives them the options:It just seems like the kind of move that gives them the flexibility in future decisions that they like to have.

I'd rather they go DE, even if it means trading up for one. But based on what we know, OT could ostensibly solve up to two different OL spots in 2021 and gives them all kinds of options in 2022 based on how 2021 goes.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:08 PM 01-25-2021
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
A 1st and throw in a few kneecaps.
That should definitely give them something to chew on.
[Reply]
The Franchise 12:09 PM 01-25-2021
Why would the Lions want to trade Decker though. I’d assume they’d want to protect whatever QB they end up with.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12:47 PM 01-25-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Sorry man, I shouldn't have said "dumb". You know full well what I think of you and your opinions. Much respect here and you know that.

OT is the same position it was before the injury. Most of the guys that could replace Eric Fisher right away are going top 10-15. We have no realistic or practical shot at those guys.

So we're sitting at #32, just like we always were, and there's guys available that were available before the injury. They're either worth #32 or they're not. Fisher's injury doesn't change our draft board at all.

Unless you're going to panic and take an OT at #32 that wasn't on the list prior to Fisher's injury. That would be a bad move, period.
dumb sounded a little harsh and I took some offense. But I was undercaffeinated, so it's probably my fault.

I think you're right of course that guys you could expect to replace a healthy Fisher on day one with little to no drop off are certainly going top ten.

Problem is, nobody in the NFL is going to trade a guy like that for even a #32 because then they'd be in the same situation. So you can pay top dollar for one in FA, or you can draft a guy that you hope can be serviceable to begin with, learn fast, and get to Fisher's level quickly. I think a kid like Jalen Mayfield has all the tools, but only two years of playing. I think if he had one more year in college, he'd be a top ten pick. If we were to nab him, we'd have to hope we could coach him up and speed up that process. It's not ideal, but I don't know what better option there is.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:51 PM 01-25-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
dumb sounded a little harsh and I took some offense. But I was undercaffeinated, so it's probably my fault.
Nah, I definitely said "dumb" and shouldn't have. Of course, I've now had my coffee as well so we're good. :-)

I think you're right of course that guys you could expect to replace a healthy Fisher on day one with little to no drop off are certainly going top ten.

Problem is, nobody in the NFL is going to trade a guy like that for even a #32 because then they'd be in the same situation. So you can pay top dollar for one in FA, or you can draft a guy that you hope can be serviceable to begin with, learn fast, and get to Fisher's level quickly. I think a kid like Jalen Mayfield has all the tools, but only two years of playing. I think if he had one more year in college, he'd be a top ten pick. If we were to nab him, we'd have to hope we could coach him up and speed up that process. It's not ideal, but I don't know what better option there is.
Take Mayfield in the 1st and have Rankin or Remmers play OT next year. :-)

I think they're going to have to get a FA tackle somewhere, whether in actual FA or retaining one of our guys.

Niang better be ready to go after opting out. No excuses.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:18 PM 01-25-2021
Nah, I definitely said "dumb" and shouldn't have. Of course, I've now had my coffee as well so we're good. :-)

Take Mayfield in the 1st and have Rankin or Remmers play OT next year. :-)

I think they're going to have to get a FA tackle somewhere, whether in actual FA or retaining one of our guys.

Niang better be ready to go after opting out. No excuses.
Rankin has been a disaster at LT in the past, that's why he's here. Remmers has done okay, and I absolutely think you have to bring him back, but he's long in the tooth and a stop-gap. I think you're right that Niang is a must-hit draftee at this point, but you're going to need another old vet on a one year deal type of guy to maybe hold the fort. It's going to have to be cheap, which means you really need to hedge that with some real draft resources.

Damnit. I really wanted a Jaelen Phillips type as I felt we were one more pass rusher away from a dominant defense. Of course, I kind of like that kid from Pitt maybe in the third.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:22 PM 01-25-2021
Rankin has been a disaster at LT in the past, that's why he's here. Remmers has done okay, and I absolutely think you have to bring him back, but he's long in the tooth and a stop-gap. I think you're right that Niang is a must-hit draftee at this point, but you're going to need another old vet on a one year deal type of guy to maybe hold the fort. It's going to have to be cheap, which means you really need to hedge that with some real draft resources.

Damnit. I really wanted a Jaelen Phillips type as I felt we were one more pass rusher away from a dominant defense. Of course, I kind of like that kid from Pitt maybe in the third.
That's just the thing - if Phillips is there and you really feel he's the missing piece, you take him. Period.

You don't change your draft board. If you have an OT on your board now and he's there, take him sure. But you don't move lesser guys up just because Fisher is hurt.

Stick to the draft board. Fill needs in free agency, even if they have to be cheap or stop gap moves. Eventually, that need will coincide with the strength of the draft board and you can make your move.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 01:40 PM 01-25-2021
That's just the thing - if Phillips is there and you really feel he's the missing piece, you take him. Period.

You don't change your draft board. If you have an OT on your board now and he's there, take him sure. But you don't move lesser guys up just because Fisher is hurt.

Stick to the draft board. Fill needs in free agency, even if they have to be cheap or stop gap moves. Eventually, that need will coincide with the strength of the draft board and you can make your move.
Agree.

There will be good OL available in the 2nd round. Maybe this means you use some of the Chiefs' comp pick draft capital to move up a bit in the second to make sure they can land their guy there.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:40 PM 01-25-2021

well I only mean that if you've got two players of relatively equal ranking that you take the guy that's a position of need, right? Not REACHING, but hey, these two guys are equal prospects, and we need a DE more than say...a WR. But NOW, we are in need of an OT or two really, and if the DE and OT are equal, you've really got to think about the OT as more of an area of need. And an area in which good veterans are very expensive.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:41 PM 01-25-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Agree.

There will be good OL available in the 2nd round. Maybe this means you use some of the Chiefs' comp pick draft capital to move up a bit in the second to make sure they can land their guy there.
OL in general, absolutely. but offensive TACKLE? I don't know.
[Reply]
staylor26 01:46 PM 01-25-2021
OL in general, absolutely. but offensive TACKLE? I don't know.
Dude, we got a really talented OT in last years class in the 3rd and could easily add another like him on day 2 this year (for example Walker Little from Stanford).

OT is the deepest position in this draft class. There will probably be 15 selected in the first 2 days.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 01:50 PM 01-25-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Dude, we got a really talented OT in last years class in the 3rd and could easily add another like him on day 2 this year (for example Walker Little from Stanford).

OT is the deepest position in this draft class. There will probably be 15 selected in the first 2 days.
Hey, if that's the case I'm all about it.
[Reply]
O.city 02:22 PM 01-25-2021

It would come down, for me, at that point you trade up for someone. If there's a LT that you love that gets into the 20's, just trade up and grab him.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 07:04 PM 01-25-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:

Yeah, this is a great OT class.

Guys like Abraham Lucas, Spencer Brown, Dillon Radunz, Walker Little would be sure-fire top 40 picks in a lot of drafts.

It’s why I’m good with DE/WR, still, at 32 (though I suspect the OT situation may work out there).
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 07:09 PM 01-25-2021
Rankin has been a disaster at LT in the past, that's why he's here.
He was the Chiefs best left guard in 2019 by a wide margin and played his ass off against the Chargers in Week 17.

Veach got him for a reason and there's no way that Bill O'Brien's coaching staff got the best from him.
[Reply]
staylor26 07:12 PM 01-25-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Yeah, this is a great OT class.

Guys like Abraham Lucas, Spencer Brown, Dillon Radunz, Walker Little would be sure-fire top 40 picks in a lot of drafts.

It’s why I’m good with DE/WR, still, at 32 (though I suspect the OT situation may work out there).
I think the inevitable run on T’s in the 1st will make it very difficult to take one at 31/32 unless we’re reaching for one of those guys.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 40
« First < 56789 1011121319 > Last »
Up