ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 40 of 40
« First < 303637383940
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>The logic of drafting OT in the 1st.
Direckshun 01:23 PM 01-21-2021
What we know about this team is that it typically likes to fill its roster out as much as possible in free agency and then spend its highest picks on potential replacements for job openings a year down the road, and that includes Veach.

I doubt I even need to run down the list but:

2020: CEH --> Williams
2019: Hardman --> Hill/Watkins
2018: Speaks --> Ford/Houston
2017: Mahomes --> Smith

Fisher will be on the last year of his contract, and most of us suspect Schwartz retiring.

The Chiefs obviously like Niang but going OT 1st gives them the options:It just seems like the kind of move that gives them the flexibility in future decisions that they like to have.

I'd rather they go DE, even if it means trading up for one. But based on what we know, OT could ostensibly solve up to two different OL spots in 2021 and gives them all kinds of options in 2022 based on how 2021 goes.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:46 AM 03-08-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Arrowhead pride, bj kissel, reporters like Herbie and Nate and many other chiefs fans.
I think they’re locked in on him because he’s generally there at #31 and he has a high floor (but a lower ceiling). They all think he can come in and start day 1.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:04 AM 03-08-2021
Yup he’s got a high floor which is absolute insanity in this draft. LT’s like that are never available that late.

Penei Sewell
Rashawn Slater
Alijah Vera-Tucker
Christian Darrisaw
Jalen Mayfield
Teven Jenkins

All 6 of those guys are definitely going before Eichenberg. That leaves him and Samuel Cosmi at the end of round 1. I’d be more than happy with either.

Either way I think we’re taking a lineman. DE or tackle for cost cutting and talent infusion
[Reply]
staylor26 10:42 AM 03-08-2021
I can see Eichenberg being the pick, but a high floor pick like that just doesn’t scream Veach.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:48 AM 03-08-2021
Here’s my question though. Say we take Eichenberg at #31.

What the fuck happens to Fisher? Do you just cut him? If he comes back in the middle of the season....do you bench the rookie if he’s playing well?
[Reply]
staylor26 10:53 AM 03-08-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:

What the fuck happens to Fisher? Do you just cut him? If he comes back in the middle of the season....do you bench the rookie if he’s playing well?
Yea that’s certainly a good question.

My guess? They get a veteran (Peters or Beachum for example) and draft somebody like Hudson/Little/Smith on day 2. Just makes more sense unless they’re willing to completely move on from Fisher.
[Reply]
RunKC 11:09 AM 03-08-2021
Originally Posted by The Franchise:

What the **** happens to Fisher? Do you just cut him? If he comes back in the middle of the season....do you bench the rookie if he’s playing well?
The odds of Fisher and Schwartz both being extended after 2021 are low IMO. Whether they have Niang ready for RT or not I think they’re still going to have tackle as a high priority to protect themselves.

In this scenario Eichenberg would start at LT until Fisher gets back (mid season IMO). He could move to G which has been a pain point for the majority of the Andy Reid era and give us an even better OL overall.

And yeah I understand the people saying Fisher moved positions his rookie year, but from what I’ve read Lucas Niang never played G in college and they were planning to start him at G as well.

He could also be the swing tackle this year when Fisher comes back. And yeah I get it people would bitch, but this is not a sprint.

We have to work on replacements for high end vulnerable pieces to our team like our injured older tackles and Frank Clark.
[Reply]
staylor26 11:41 AM 03-08-2021
That all sounds great, but Andy has never started a rookie at LT. I think that’s something that can’t be said enough.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:45 AM 03-08-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
That all sounds great, but Andy has never started a rookie at LT. I think that’s something that can’t be said enough.
Yes. With that context...

It's hard to see them taking Eichenberg, IMO.

Vet band-aid (for all of 2021 or until Fisher is ready to play) plus a developmental guy makes a lot more sense in that context, IMO.
[Reply]
staylor26 11:48 AM 03-08-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Yes. With that context...

It's hard to see them taking Eichenberg, IMO.

Vet band-aid (for all of 2021 or until Fisher is ready to play) plus a developmental guy makes a lot more sense in that context, IMO.
Agreed.

Like I said, they’ll probably sign a vet like Peters or Beachum then draft some like Hudson/Little/Smith/Brown on day 2.

I really think they go DE in the 1st.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:59 AM 03-08-2021
They need to stop with the Chinese fire drills.

Pick a guy, find his spot, and leave him there.

If Fisher is coming back and the plan is for him to start in October, put your 2nd string OT in there and ride it out.

Any drafted OL should stay wherever he is. It's hard enough to adjust to the NFL and then when you add in the offseason COVID stuff and shuffling positions - I'm not in favor at all.
[Reply]
Page 40 of 40
« First < 303637383940
Up