« First < 75797103104105106107 108109110111117157207607 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Investing megathread extravaganza
DaFace 11:23 AM 06-27-2016
A place to talk about investing stuff.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 03:28 PM 01-07-2018
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Don’t let them send you emails. You’ll be bombarded by hucksters daily
Well, to register you have to give them your email just like any site but the charts and info on there seem to be fabulous. I know how to unsubscribe. This site will make me money. Have you used it ?
[Reply]
Buehler445 05:35 PM 01-07-2018
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
Well, to register you have to give them your email just like any site but the charts and info on there seem to be fabulous. I know how to unsubscribe. This site will make me money. Have you used it ?
Just for futures charts. Their old setup was easier to use.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 01:55 PM 01-18-2018
Anybody have any thoughts on GE. I'm thinking if it hits 13 I might take a hard look at it.

THey have the Airlplane motor division as well as the Healthcare division that are strong and if they spin off the rest of the trash parts of the company like their talking about then I can see huge opportunity.
[Reply]
eDave 06:11 PM 01-18-2018
Anybody have any thoughts on GE. I'm thinking if it hits 13 I might take a hard look at it.

THey have the Airlplane motor division as well as the Healthcare division that are strong and if they spin off the rest of the trash parts of the company like their talking about then I can see huge opportunity.
Rumors of them breaking up the company. Gains to be made if they do. And they should.
[Reply]
lewdog 08:08 PM 01-18-2018

I wouldn't touch GE with a 10 foot pole right now. I would maybe consider it (I won't personally) around $13, but more shit is about to hit the fan.

Is there possible upside after it bottoms out? Sure.
But that's a long term play, IMO, and a slow recovery when it happens. I wouldn't tie up a bunch of capital with GE.
[Reply]
RunKC 08:51 PM 01-18-2018
Who has thoughts on index or mutual funds? Maybe an ETF?

I’m currently looking at Vanguard and want to set it up in the next few weeks since I’ve fucked around and waited all the way through my 20’s like a moron.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:01 PM 01-18-2018
Originally Posted by RunKC:

I’m currently looking at Vanguard and want to set it up in the next few weeks since I’ve ****ed around and waited all the way through my 20’s like a moron.
Any particular reason for Vanguard? ETF's are fine as long as whomever you are with reinvests your dividends at no cost. Otherwise find someone else, like Fidelity.

Personally I have a mix of index and active funds. Most with Fidelity...

Fidelity SP500 fund
Fidelity Midcap index fund
Fidelity OTC Portfolio
Fidelity Blue Chip Growth fund
Fidelity China fund
Fidelity Europe fund
Fidelity Pac Basin fund
Fidelity Total Bond Fund
Pimco Income Fund
Fidelity Capital & Income fund
Fidelity Select Software & IT Services fund
Fidelity MSCI Financials ETF
Fidelity MSCI Healthcare Index ETF
Spyder Sector Energy ETF
[Reply]
lewdog 09:21 PM 01-18-2018

I’m currently looking at Vanguard and want to set it up in the next few weeks since I’ve fucked around and waited all the way through my 20’s like a moron.
More information needed.

Do you have a work sponsored 401K? A Roth IRA?

Didn't do what through your 20's exactly?
[Reply]
RunKC 11:29 PM 01-18-2018
I have a 401k and a Roth IRA. My employer uses Fidelity so I might look into those.
Company matches 6%, but as of about 6 months ago I moved it up to 8 to add more personally.

I have a Roth IRA with the standard company set up, that netted me 9% growth last year. I think I should have talked to a financial advisor 5 or so years ago and should have been putting more than 6% in for the last 7 years.

Ideally I would like to build compound interest and start it now. Just not sure which fund, ETF, etc would be best.
[Reply]
RunKC 11:32 PM 01-18-2018
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Any particular reason for Vanguard? ETF's are fine as long as whomever you are with reinvests your dividends at no cost. Otherwise find someone else, like Fidelity.

Personally I have a mix of index and active funds. Most with Fidelity...

Fidelity SP500 fund
Fidelity Midcap index fund
Fidelity OTC Portfolio
Fidelity Blue Chip Growth fund
Fidelity China fund
Fidelity Europe fund
Fidelity Pac Basin fund
Fidelity Total Bond Fund
Pimco Income Fund
Fidelity Capital & Income fund
Fidelity Select Software & IT Services fund
Fidelity MSCI Financials ETF
Fidelity MSCI Healthcare Index ETF
Spyder Sector Energy ETF
I need to research all of these. I think I’d like to get at least 2 of these.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 06:11 AM 01-19-2018
https://www.investopedia.com/investi...ijuana-stocks/

10 Canadian Marijuana Stocks for Your Portfolio By Mrinalini Krishna | Updated January 3, 2018 — 6:00 AM EST

Unlike its southern neighbor, Canada legalized medical marijuana nationwide back in 2001. That means that the industry has evolved a lot more and is not plagued with restrictions across state lines, as is the case in the United States, where there are 28 states (and Washington, D.C.), where pot is allowed for medical use. Further, Canada introduced the Cannabis Act earlier this month and the bill to legalize recreational pot use is expected to pass by July of 2018.

(Read Also: Legal Weed Market to Triple in 5 Years)

While uncertainty prevails in the United States, investors could get a piece of the pot action by investing in Canadian stocks traded in the country in the over-the-counter (OTC) markets. Most of these stocks can be labeled as penny stocks, so any investment may carry a significantly higher risk component. Here's a look at some of those companies.

All figures are accurate as of January 2, 2018.

1. Canopy Growth Corp.
Market Cap: $4.987 billion

With its market cap closing in on $5 billion dollars, Canopy (OTC: TWMJF) is touted as Canada’s first unicorn in the pot market. While the company sells its produce under various brand names, the brand ‘Tweed’ has had the most recognition, thanks to its affiliation with rapper Snoop Dogg. The one-year return for the stock in the OTC market has been nearly 280%.

2. Aurora Cannabis
Market Cap: $4.391 billion

Aurora Cannabis (OTC: ACBFF) debuted on the Canadian venture stock exchange (TSX) in October 2016. In addition to producing dry cannabis, Aurora received a license to sell cannabis oil in January 2017. It has been around longer in the OTC market, returning 451% over a one-year period.

3. Aphria Inc.
Market Cap: $2.493 billion

The company calls itself one of the lowest cost producers of marijuana. Aphria (OTC: APHQF) produces dry cannabis as well as cannabis oil of varying qualities and strength. Earlier this month, the stock surged after the company announced that it had struck a deal to sell its products through the online site of Shoppers Drug Mart, a major Canadian pharmacy chain. Over the last year the stock has gained just short of 330%.

4. PharmaCan Capital/The Cronos Group
Market Cap: $1.222 billion

This company is in the business of investing in pot growers and companies in the marijuana business. PharmaCan’s (OTC: PRMCF) portfolio currently consists of six companies. It owns two of these companies completely – the rest it holds a minority stake in. Over the last year, the stock has risen over 404%.

5. Emerald Health Therapeutics
Market Cap: $563.767 million

Emerald Health Therapeutics (OTC: EMHTF) is also a producer of dry cannabis and cannabis oils for medical use based out of British Columbia. New Cannabis Ventures reports that the company raised CAD 10 million in equity from Dundee Capital. The stock has been on an upward trend with a nearly 473% return for the one-year period.

6. OrganiGram Holdings
Market Cap: $514.48 million

This company's portfolio includes dry cannabis and cannabis oil, along with accessories like vaporizers that can be purchased on its website. Although it promises organic produce, OrganiPharma (OTC: OGRMF) issued a product recall in December 2016 because the products contained pesticides not approved for marijuana growing. The stock has a return of 68% for the one-year period.

7. SupremePharma
Market Cap: $479.902 million

The company produces marijuana under the banner of its wholly-owned subsidiary 7Acres. Late last year, SupremePharma (OTC: SPRWF) announced a private placement financing deal worth CAD 55 million or close to $42 million USD to expand its Hybrid Greenhouse facility and other working capital requirements. The stock’s one-year return is almost 100%.

8. Emblem Corp.
Market Cap: $181.293 million

Emblem (OTC: EMMBF) is another newly-listed company on the Canadian exchange. A few days after listing, the company announced that it was sitting on a cash pile of CAD 27 million that it was looking to deploy in expansion. Soon after, it got a go-ahead from Health Canada to begin production of cannabis oil. However, over the last year, the stock has declined, falling nearly 43%.

9. THC BioMed International
Market Cap: $89.77 million

This is primarily a bio-tech company engaging in research and development on marijuana also dabbling in providing training and solutions to licensed growers. A big boost for THC BioMed (OTC: THCBF) came in December 2016, when it got the green light from the authorities to start shipping marijuana plants for licensed growers across the country. It suffered a setback after announcing in January 2017 that it needed to restate its financials. But the stock began recovering in mid-2017 on an improved outlook and nearly doubled in value in December alone after Health Canada said it was allowed to sell dried marijuana. The stock is up nearly 63% for the year.

10. iAnthus Capital
Market Cap: $87.925 million

This company has taken an interest in cannabis based businesses south of the border in four states across the United States. Last year iAnthus (OTC: ITHUF) announced its first complete cannabis related acquisition with the $4.3 million purchase of Colorado based Organix, a medical and recreational pot dispensary. Other investments also include financing and management deals with three other companies, totaling potentially eight licenses for marijuana businesses, nine dispensaries and four cultivation facilities. Over the past year, the stock has been trading with high volatility and is currently up nearly 36%.

[Reply]
lewdog 06:34 AM 01-19-2018
I need to research all of these. I think I’d like to get at least 2 of these.
I’d first look at why your Roth returned 9% this year. Don’t just go with a company setup of some kind. I’ll post more tonight but I’d consider maxing your ROTH first, before worrying about buying additional funds through a brokerage account. Remember all contributions can be taken tax free at any time. This allows you to use Roth funds to be fairly liquid if for say some reason you needed a large sum of money for an emergency. The tax free withdrawals in retirement will likely be a huge advantage as I’d guess that we will be paying more taxes in 20-30 years.
[Reply]
wutamess 09:45 AM 01-19-2018
I have a 401k and a Roth IRA. My employer uses Fidelity so I might look into those.
Company matches 6%, but as of about 6 months ago I moved it up to 8 to add more personally.

I have a Roth IRA with the standard company set up, that netted me 9% growth last year. I think I should have talked to a financial advisor 5 or so years ago and should have been putting more than 6% in for the last 7 years.

Ideally I would like to build compound interest and start it now. Just not sure which fund, ETF, etc would be best.
Rule of thumb I've heard from Dave Ramsey.

Take 3 of the highest 10 year fund performers and put money in those.

Then I heard someone break it down even further... Take 3 of the top Index fund performers over 10 years and put it into those.

Index funds are low maintenance. That advice hasn't guided me wrong yet.
[Reply]
lewdog 01:36 PM 01-19-2018

Without getting into debt management, here's how to best structure your retirement/savings planning IMO.

1) Put in an much as your need to get the maximum employer contribution match (free money) to your 401k. 2) Create an emergency fund with approximately 3-6 months of expenses. 3) Any left over money from your paycheck should be used to max out your Roth IRA. 4) After the above 3 have been met, consider a brokerage account for individual investing to continue to build your nest egg but remain rather liquid. Consider ETFs and low cost index funds if you don't have the time to research individual companies.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 06:19 PM 01-19-2018
Thinking about these three now:

NIKE( NKE)
Square (SQ)
Kohls (KSS)

If they won't move 8% in 30 days I don't want them.

Anybody got a reason not to ?
[Reply]
Page 107 of 929
« First < 75797103104105106107 108109110111117157207607 > Last »
Up