ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Alex Gordon is retiring
ChiefBlueCFC 10:28 AM 09-24-2020

After 14 years of hard work and dedication to the #Royals, Alex Gordon is retiring from baseball.

Thank you for always giving it your all, Gordo.#4EverRoyal pic.twitter.com/S5A0Y7ASFq

— Kansas City Royals (@Royals) September 24, 2020

Thank you for everything Alex. A great Royal and a Royal for life!
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 11:16 AM 09-24-2020
He deserves a statue at Kauffman
[Reply]
Chiefspants 11:21 AM 09-24-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
He'll be remembered for the Game 1 homer for obvious reasons. Saved the day against a dominant closer that literally hadn't blown a save in months.

That said, he was a huge part of the 2014 team getting to the playoffs. The team was hanging around .500 at the end of July then got super hot in August to put themselves in playoff position. Gordon caught fire that month and hit like 9 homers in August and was a huge reason that team made the push.
Yeah - this is true. We do not make the 2014 playoffs without him. He was also the hottest hitter on the 2015 team before his injury.

A lot of folks like to reduce his contributions to the 2014-2015 team to that homer. That’s unfair, and a bit of an uninformed/revisionist take. Gordo has clutch AB’s in (and this is just from memory) Games 2 & 3 of the 2014 ALDS, Game 1 of the 2014 ALCS, Game 3 of the WS, Game 7 of the WS, Game 4 of the 2015 ALDS, Game 5 of the 2015 ALDS, Game 2 of the 2015 ALCS, Game 1 of the 2015 WS, Game 2 of the 2015 WS, & Game 5 of that same WS, and this is purely focused on his bat (his catch in Game 4 of the 2014 ALCS and Game 5 of the 2015 ALDS were just as important to our victories). He honestly was one of our most clutch players ever and deserves to be remembered that way.
[Reply]
RockChalk 11:23 AM 09-24-2020
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
He strikes me as one of the guys that'll just always be around their organization in some role.
Was just telling my friends I could see him in a Rusty Kuntz role with the team. And someday the manager, if he wants to be one.
[Reply]
tk13 11:30 AM 09-24-2020
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
Yeah - this is true. We do not make the 2014 playoffs without him. He was also the hottest hitter on the 2015 team before his injury.

A lot of folks like to reduce his contributions to the 2014-2015 team to that homer. That’s unfair, and a bit of an uninformed/revisionist take. Gordo has clutch AB’s in (and this is just from memory) Games 2 & 3 of the 2014 ALDS, Game 1 of the 2014 ALCS, Game 3 of the WS, Game 7 of the WS, Game 4 of the 2015 ALDS & Game 5 of the 2015 ALDS, Game 2 of the 2015 ALCS, Game 1 of the 2015 WS, Game 2 of the 2015 WS, & Game 5 of that same WS, and this is purely focused on his bat. He honestly was one of our most clutch players ever and deserves to be remembered that way.
Yeah there's a few moments people will forget. Particularly the HR in extra innings to break the tie against the Orioles in Game 1 in 2014. That was huge and was a moment where you thought this team could make it to the Series.

Then in the 2015 ALDS he had the groundout that gave us the lead during the Game 4 comeback against the Astros. Then when we were down in Game 5 he hit the double that really started the rally there. It led to Alex Rios coming up and tying the game. He has way more clutch moments than people probably remember that are overshadowed by the fact he had a famously clutch World Series HR.
[Reply]
lcarus 11:31 AM 09-24-2020
That homer off Familia was as clutch as clutch gets. His triple off Bumgarner in the 9th inning of game 7 of the WS was as clutch as clutch gets. In another universe Perez drives him home and we're back to back champs.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 11:34 AM 09-24-2020
Yeah there's a few moments people will forget. Particularly the HR in extra innings to break the tie against the Orioles in Game 1 in 2014. That was huge and was a moment where you thought this team could make it to the Series.

Then in the 2015 ALDS he had the groundout that gave us the lead during the Game 4 comeback against the Astros. Then when we were down in Game 5 he hit the double that really started the rally there. It led to Alex Rios coming up and tying the game. He has way more clutch moments than people probably remember that are overshadowed by the fact he had a famously clutch World Series HR.
yep. For sure an argument could be made he was a better playoff player than a regular season player.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 11:35 AM 09-24-2020

Then in the 2015 ALDS he had the groundout that gave us the lead during the huge comeback against the Astros. Then when we were down in Game 5 he hit the double that really started the rally there. He has way more clutch moments than people probably remember that are overshadowed by the fact he had an all-time clutch World Series HR.
I think another thing is that his negative moments (his performance from 07-10, him being held at 3rd, and his 2016 performance after that contract) really stand out to folks. In a way that makes people forget just how good of a hitter he was from 2011-2015. He was Silver Slugger worthy in 11’ and was in contention for a Silver Slugger in 15’ before his groin injury. Dude was just nails for us at the most important time.

We may have not had a George Brett on the 14-15 teams (as much as I love Cain), but Gordo deserves Frank White status in our org. Heck, check this out

Frank White career WAR: 34.8
Alex Gordon career WAR: 34.7
[Reply]
tk13 11:36 AM 09-24-2020
This is the home run people won't talk as much about. Won game 1 against the Orioles and set the tone for the series to help get us to the WS.

[Reply]
Chiefspants 11:41 AM 09-24-2020
This is the home run people won't talk as much about. Won game 1 against the Orioles and set the tone for the series to help get us to the WS.

Here's another hit that was just as important and as easily forgotten. It was off of a lefty (David Price), with 2 outs, and in a tie game. We may not even get to the 2015 World Series or Alex's iconic home run without this hit.

[Reply]
Why Not? 11:47 AM 09-24-2020
Originally Posted by lcarus:
That homer off Familia was as clutch as clutch gets. His triple off Bumgarner in the 9th inning of game 7 of the WS was as clutch as clutch gets. In another universe Perez drives him home and we're back to back champs.
I love Alex but......”triple” ?
[Reply]
Chiefspants 11:49 AM 09-24-2020
Originally Posted by Why Not?:
I love Alex but......”triple” ?
Honestly just managing a hit off of Bum in that moment was clutch. I will forever be annoyed that Ned didn't pinch hit Willingham for Nori (who was 0-16 in the WS coming into that game and against a lefty buzzsaw). Just felt like the Royals, as a whole, froze the moment Bum came into the game. Even Esky's decision to bunt seemed to really help Bum out when he couldn't find the zone early in his performance (Bum even admitted that the K "rattled him" when he came out to pitch).

Alex was the only one who didn't seem overwhelmed by the moment. Even Hosmer (normally Mr. Clutch) looked like a deer in the headlights that entire AB (Bum flat out toyed with him).
[Reply]
Why Not? 11:54 AM 09-24-2020
Honestly just managing a hit off of Bum in that moment was clutch. I will forever be annoyed that Ned didn't pinch hit Willingham for Nori (who was 0-16 in the WS coming into that game and against a lefty buzzsaw). Just felt like the Royals, as a whole, froze the moment Bum came into the game. Even Esky's decision to bunt seemed to really help Bum out when he couldn't find the zone early in his performance (Bum even admitted that the K "rattled him" when he came out to pitch).

Alex was the only one who didn't seem overwhelmed by the moment. Even Hosmer (normally Mr. Clutch) looked like a deer in the headlights that entire AB (Bum flat out toyed with him).

I don’t think there was anything that could be done. Bumgarner was just on another level. I remember talking to my dad the day after that game 7 and he said “they ran into Koufax. What can you do?”
[Reply]
Bearcat 12:28 PM 09-24-2020

Giving them the extra out with the bunt grinds my gears... I really wish they would have been more aggressive in that situation, especially with Bumgarner struggling a bit, like you said.
[Reply]
Halfcan 12:41 PM 09-24-2020
Best wishes Gordo- thanks for the memories and WS title.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 01:00 PM 09-24-2020
He fought and worked hard
Bust to greatness
[Reply]
Page 2 of 6
< 12 3456 >
Up