Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll
Page 7 of 9
« First < 34567 89 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Grade Mahomes' first half performance
TLO 06:27 PM 08-17-2018
Poll
[Reply]
PHOG 08:38 AM 08-18-2018
B+...would be an A if not for the televised interception, moved the chains well, should have had another TD if not for the bullshit penalty. JMO
[Reply]
synthesis2 08:42 AM 08-18-2018
Based on the fact that he is still very new to QBing in the league, I'd give him a solid A-
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 08:52 AM 08-18-2018
It's interesting to watch Mahomes execute a very vanilla offense. Lots of checkdowns, very safe throws, Reid did a ton of dink and dunk. So kudos to Mahomes for showing he can execute a safe offense.

Mahomes will be far more aggressive especially moving around than he is this preseason. But thought we saw a glimpse of what we'll expect this season. Reid is going to have to figure out that happy medium between dialing it back and letting Mahomes gunsling. And I think it will take a couple of years to really get that right. Whether we like it or not, we'll see a lot of really dumb throws like the one he threw into the end zone across his body before Mahomes also gets a natural feel for what he can get away with in the pros.

But this is what I signed up for and I'm crazy excited. I'm actually kinda glad the preseason has level set people's expectations.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 08:57 AM 08-18-2018
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
It's interesting to watch Mahomes execute a very vanilla offense. Lots of checkdowns, very safe throws, Reid did a ton of dink and dunk. So kudos to Mahomes for showing he can execute a safe offense.

Mahomes will be far more aggressive especially moving around than he is this preseason. But thought we saw a glimpse of what we'll expect this season. Reid is going to have to figure out that happy medium between dialing it back and letting Mahomes gunsling. And I think it will take a couple of years to really get that right. Whether we like it or not, we'll see a lot of really dumb throws like the one he threw into the end zone across his body before Mahomes also gets a natural feel for what he can get away with in the pros.

But this is what I signed up for and I'm crazy excited. I'm actually kinda glad the preseason has level set people's expectations.
I expect to see alot of Brett Favre type stuff circa 92-95
[Reply]
philfree 09:16 AM 08-18-2018
Looks like he's trying so hard to run the offense/dink and dunk that he's struggling a little. Hope we don't over coach him.
[Reply]
Coogs 09:21 AM 08-18-2018
Originally Posted by philfree:
Looks like he's trying so hard to run the offense/dink and dunk that he's struggling a little. Hope we don't over coach him.
I noticed that too. It's not at all what the game plan looked like in Denver. I wonder if that Denver game plan will show up when we play the Chargers. But for now we are just kind of keeping it hidden and using the old offensive look.
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan 09:22 AM 08-18-2018
Why do some people keep pointing out who was on the field on the Hill touchdown? Who cares! The result of that play doesn't matter.

What does matter is his movement in the pocket and the fact that he CAN make that throw and read if the play presents itself again. Whether it should have been let up in that moment of a preseason game is meaningless.
[Reply]
rabblerouser 09:22 AM 08-18-2018
He's not Alex Smith + that throw = A+
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 09:23 AM 08-18-2018
Originally Posted by 007:
ONe play doesn't negate the entire body of work. It was really the only good moment of the half.
He led a long drive down the field despite multiple dumb holding penalties from his OL. Including a few third down conversions. That to me was a hell of a lot more encouraging than Mahomes' 70 yard throw.
[Reply]
hometeam 09:27 AM 08-18-2018
Originally Posted by falconfan:
see that makes a difference, I knew I didnt see eric berry. To me it does make a difference ricardo allen would have played deeper and not get beat, Hill is a monster and he beat a rookie who is going to be bagging food in 3 weeks. Also like I said our whole defensive line at that pt was mostly people I even never heard of, takk and vic beasley was gone so was McClain and grady jarret just being real. just like on that first 4th down play we would have kicked a fg, and on that 2nd 4th down play either coleman or freeman would be running the ball not a rookie in ito smith. Even patricks first almost Int in the endzone is to a guy on our roster bubble.
Tyreek Hill averages something like 60 yards per TD, you can rationalize all you want but this shit happens to starters and backups alike. Tyreek led the league in separation last year, and this is just the kind of shit that happens. Doesnt matter who is covering him.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 09:31 AM 08-18-2018
70 yard bomb wipes out that interception. Dumb fucks around here are way too much into MartyBall and Alex Smith horse shit.
[Reply]
Halfcan 09:41 AM 08-18-2018
Chiefs have never had a QB like Mahomes. 68 yards in the air is incredible, especially with guys on him. This wasn't just some Hail Mary, where we got lucky, this was a perfectly executed pass and an amazing catch.

The refs took one TD off the board or everyone wouldn't be talking about the "near pick" in the end zone. Terrible effort by Watkins to just stand there.

The Interception was mostly Watkins fault as well according to Trent during the broadcast. If Watkins drifts to the outside, he is wide open and that is another TD. Instead, he stays in the range of the safety and Mahomes has to make a risky throw. Immediately, after the play, they were over to Walkins showing his mistake, and confirming everything Green was saying.

People calling it a terrible, boneheaded play- but you also bitched about Alex playing it safe and Never trying those type of throws. You can't have it both ways. They were trying to get Watkins involved in the offense since he has not done much so far. Like Trent stated, if he takes the WIDE OPEN sideline- that was another 6 points.

Mahomes should have had 3 TD's in one half if things would have been slightly different. Stop complaining we have an aggressive, never give up QB now- that TD throw to Reek changed the entire vibe of the game and was far more beneficial than that Int hurt the team.

This kid is a game changer!
[Reply]
Halfcan 09:52 AM 08-18-2018
Originally Posted by Chiefnj2:
B-/C+ range. It's great to have a QB who can air it out and give you a shot downfield, but people are overhyping that play. Your bread and butter (and championships) come from the pocket and moving the chains. He had several nice 3rd down conversions which are more important in the big picture than the bomb to Hill. Then, you saw a Few throws with bad decision making. Watkins needs to step it up also.
How can you overhype that play? It was literally the longest in the air by a QB in two seasons. The longest in the air by any Chiefs QB ever. Hill burned 3 guys. Mahomes learned from last week and used the entire pocket and unleashed a bomb. Hill did an incredible job of tracking the ball. The Oline held their ground for once. It was preseason, but still one of the top ten best passes by a Chiefs QB -- like ever.

We had a Bread and Butter QB and he failed when it counted. Now we have a Meat and Potatoes QB. I will take that over plain bread and butter any day.
[Reply]
Eleazar 09:54 AM 08-18-2018
Having a huge arm is nice but it's not really a trait that's always associated with the most successful quarterbacks ever. It's a nice highlight every now and again, which is fine. Guys who rely on arm strength usually aren't great QBs, and plenty of great ones don't have elite arms strength. The other things are a bigger factor.

What he does on third downs, in traffic, before the snap, and when he's under pressure will have more to do with how successful he is at winning championships in Kansas City. At the draft one of the programs got a lot of heat here for comparing him to Jay Cutler coming out of college, and while he certainly seems to have a brain whereas Cutler never did, those things are why one QB can work out but the other didn't.

There's no point in grading him on those points because we haven't seen him under live fire yet. (counting the depleated donks last year as basically a preseason game)
[Reply]
RunKC 10:03 AM 08-18-2018
Originally Posted by philfree:
Whether we like it or not, Andy wants Mahomes to be like Alex in the short and intermediate parts of the field. That’s what this whole “efficiency” title has been about for the kid all of camp.

It’s fine with me. Take care of the ball and be accurate in the middle of the field, then let it rip.

That’s exactly what Aaron Rodgers does.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 9
« First < 34567 89 >
Up