ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 16
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Griddles
Fire Me Boy! 11:12 AM 07-31-2018
Anyone have one of these outdoor (or indoor, I don't care how you use it) griddles like the Blackstone? Basically, it's a propane fired steel griddle in various sizes - I have a 36". If you've ever been to a hibachi restaurant where they cook in front of you, basically one of those.

This is a place for sharing. What do you have, what do you like to cook on it?

I broke mine in this weekend with some fried rice, KC strip, and mixed veggies. It wasn't perfect, but it was damn good.

I'm thinking about doing some smashburgers this weekend, or maybe a big breakfast - bacon, french toast, hash browns.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 04:09 PM 08-01-2018
My gas grill gets north of 600F when running full blast, and the convenience for me is hard to beat. I love charcoal, but it’s just more of a pain.

I wonder if I could find a steel or stone to fit inside my gas grill for pizza.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:22 PM 08-01-2018
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
My gas grill gets north of 600F when running full blast, and the convenience for me is hard to beat. I love charcoal, but it’s just more of a pain.

I wonder if I could find a steel or stone to fit inside my gas grill for pizza.
I just use the side burner on the gas grill to light the charcoal chimney and it only takes about 10 minutes longer than gas. That's pretty much the only use my gas grill ever gets.

I've never understood the 'gas is way easier' argument. Sure - if you're running home for lunch and want to grill hot dogs, do that. But if you're talking about the difference between a 30 minute cook and a 40 minute cook (when you're probably doing prep somewhere in there anyway), I just don't get it.
[Reply]
Kyle DeLexus 06:50 PM 08-01-2018
I was pretty upset I missed the Prime Day deal for one of these. I've been watching them for a long time now and have been waiting for a good price. I'm hoping now that grilling season is winding down I'll have another shot at a good price.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 07:35 PM 08-01-2018
Here they are at walmart $211 for the 28"

https://www.walmart.com/search/?quer...tone%20griddle
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 07:37 PM 08-01-2018
Serious question , has anybody ever had a Grackel fly over and bomb your griddle ?
[Reply]
tooge 07:39 PM 08-01-2018
Buddy has pretty much the one in the OP. Camp Chef I think. We’ve used it for years at tailgates for burgers, Philly cheesesteaks, Italian beef sandwiches, breakfast, etc. they are nice
[Reply]
ptlyon 07:40 PM 08-01-2018
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
Serious question , has anybody ever had a Grackel fly over and bomb your griddle ?
It fries up quick. If you have pig semen on your hands it don't really matter does it?
[Reply]
hotrod 08:49 PM 08-01-2018
I had the blackstone and had a lot of fun with it but there were a few negatives. Mine only lasted a couple of season before it needed the burners replaced and I also didn't care for the fact that when it got up to temp and then you added 4 or 5 pounds of meat, the blackstone would drop 150 degrees. The unit I have now cost more but its a commercial unit from a restaurant supply . it cost $600 but I am confident it will last many years because of much better quality burners and it is stainless steel. the cook top is about twice as thick as the blackstone and has a much better way of draining grease. it doesn't have near the temp drops due to the thicker cook top that holds heat better. We use ours 2 to 3 times a week and on the weekends we have pool parties and do big fajita cooks. We have a pavilion on our back deck by the pool with a bar, 2 smoker, the griddle and a gas grill. We use the griddle and smokers the most and the gas grill the least. We cook and eat our dinner outside 5 -6 days a week. Also a restaurant supply is a good place to get big spatulas made for use with a griddle and scrapers to clean the top. I could never find the right tools at department stores and the restaurant supply is really cheap and better quality.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 07:18 AM 08-02-2018
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I just use the side burner on the gas grill to light the charcoal chimney and it only takes about 10 minutes longer than gas. That's pretty much the only use my gas grill ever gets.

I've never understood the 'gas is way easier' argument. Sure - if you're running home for lunch and want to grill hot dogs, do that. But if you're talking about the difference between a 30 minute cook and a 40 minute cook (when you're probably doing prep somewhere in there anyway), I just don't get it.
I agree that the flavor difference is there, but for me - partly because I have limited time pretty much all the time - I can preheat my grill in 10 minutes, and it's ready to cover within 15 minutes of finishing. I don't have to deal with charcoal or a starter, and I get 90% the flavor, if not more. The simple truth is, since getting the gas grill, my use of the charcoal grill had plummeted. I think the only thing I've done in the past year on the charcoal is pizza.
[Reply]
Dunit35 09:40 AM 08-02-2018
I know this will be dependent on heat settings. Does this thing burn through tanks like crazy?
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 09:42 AM 08-02-2018
Originally Posted by Dunit35:
I know this will be dependent on heat settings. Does this thing burn through tanks like crazy?
Don't know yet. I've heard most people cook on low to medium for most things, so I kinda doubt it.
[Reply]
Dunit35 09:48 AM 08-02-2018
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Don't know yet. I've heard most people cook on low to medium for most things, so I kinda doubt it.
My local supercenter says they have limited stock. I’m going to go check here in a couple hours. Still wanting one after yesterday so it’s no longer an impulse buy right?
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 10:09 AM 08-02-2018
Originally Posted by Dunit35:
My local supercenter says they have limited stock. I’m going to go check here in a couple hours. Still wanting one after yesterday so it’s no longer an impulse buy right?
Correct!
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 10:25 AM 08-02-2018
Wow!

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:52 PM 08-02-2018
Originally Posted by tooge:
Buddy has pretty much the one in the OP. Camp Chef I think. We’ve used it for years at tailgates for burgers, Philly cheesesteaks, Italian beef sandwiches, breakfast, etc. they are nice
Camp Chef uses a different burner layout, IIRC. If you look around you can find some infrared photography of how evenly the eat disburses and it looks to me like the bar setup (Camp Chef uses round gasburners) works a little bit better.

But the flip side is that I think Camp Chef still uses cast iron and Blackstone uses cold rolled steel. At least I'm pretty sure Camp Chef still uses cast iron. I've not noticed a real disadvantage to the steel at all but some people are die-hard cast-iron folks.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 16
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Up