ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 16
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Griddles
Fire Me Boy! 11:12 AM 07-31-2018
Anyone have one of these outdoor (or indoor, I don't care how you use it) griddles like the Blackstone? Basically, it's a propane fired steel griddle in various sizes - I have a 36". If you've ever been to a hibachi restaurant where they cook in front of you, basically one of those.

This is a place for sharing. What do you have, what do you like to cook on it?

I broke mine in this weekend with some fried rice, KC strip, and mixed veggies. It wasn't perfect, but it was damn good.

I'm thinking about doing some smashburgers this weekend, or maybe a big breakfast - bacon, french toast, hash browns.
[Reply]
Dunit35 02:44 PM 08-01-2018
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Wife wants cheese steaks this weekend, so I guess I'm doing cheese steaks. Thin sliced ribeye, onions, peppers, and cheese. I may do one with steak, mushrooms, and cheese, with an au jus.
All I’ve done at work today is look up stuff for griddles. This is your fault.

Have you ever eaten at hibachi style places? They always put badass sauce on their hibachi. It’s more than just regular soy sauce. I’m trying to figure it out.
[Reply]
ptlyon 02:50 PM 08-01-2018
Originally Posted by Dunit35:

Have you ever eaten at hibachi style places? They always put badass sauce on their hibachi. It’s more than just regular soy sauce. I’m trying to figure it out.
It's called jap sauce
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 02:51 PM 08-01-2018

I have, and that was the first thing we did on it. The one we go to just uses soy and teriyaki, I think. I used soy and sake, but I think next time I'm going to throw in some teriyaki or oyster sauce.

Of everything I made, the veggies and the rice were good. The steak was pretty mediocre, but they were cheap steaks.

And the store-bought yum yum sauce is perfect.
[Reply]
ptlyon 02:52 PM 08-01-2018
Don't forget fish sauce
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 02:53 PM 08-01-2018
Genius Kitchen uses this as a sauce:

1/2 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 teaspoons chopped garlic
1 teaspoon cornstarch
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 02:57 PM 08-01-2018
If I were making a sauce to put in the squirt bottle, I'd probably go 1/2 c. soy sauce, 2T rice wine vinegar or sake, but I already use both of those. I don't really want a thick sauce like the above recipe would create. Maybe on the protein, but not in the rice.
[Reply]
Dunit35 02:58 PM 08-01-2018
I have, and that was the first thing we did on it. The one we go to just uses soy and teriyaki, I think. I used soy and sake, but I think next time I'm going to throw in some teriyaki or oyster sauce.

Of everything I made, the veggies and the rice were good. The steak was pretty mediocre, but they were cheap steaks.

And the store-bought yum yum sauce is perfect.
I bought a can of oyster sauce once. I was afraid to use it after smelling the foul odor coming from inside the can. My wife hates teriyaki so I might have to stick with just soy sauce.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 02:59 PM 08-01-2018
I bought a can of oyster sauce once. I was afraid to use it after smelling the foul odor coming from inside the can. My wife hates teriyaki so I might have to stick with just soy sauce.
You could make a tare basting sauce. This looks kick ass.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...g-Sauce-395444
[Reply]
Dunit35 03:01 PM 08-01-2018
You could make a tare basting sauce. This looks kick ass.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...g-Sauce-395444
I’ll add that to my sauce list.

I scored a $100 referral check from a local car dealership this afternoon. If that griddle price drops to $247 any time I’m going to jump on it.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:35 PM 08-01-2018
If I were making a sauce to put in the squirt bottle, I'd probably go 1/2 c. soy sauce, 2T rice wine vinegar or sake, but I already use both of those. I don't really want a thick sauce like the above recipe would create. Maybe on the protein, but not in the rice.
Pretty hard to go wrong with soy and rice wine vinegar. Toss a little garlic in there and you're good to go.

Soy can complement just about any type of food extremely well, it's just dependent on the amount of it you use. That rich umami flavor it adds in small amounts makes just a basic steak savory as hell and it's amazing.

I use small amounts when I marinate fajita meat these days. It's just an outstanding complementary flavor in small doses and obviously does great for stir fries, etc... in larger amounts.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:37 PM 08-01-2018

I did the same thing, man. I was looking for gas grill recommendations when the local sears was going out of business and taking 60% off of them. In the process I stumbled onto this thing and was immediately sold on it.

Spent 2 days talking myself into all the cool shit I could do on it and had one by the end of the week.

They really are awesome. They allow you to do things that you just can't do otherwise (unless you want to stank your house up; even then you can't do it as well).

I'm going to try flatbread pizza on it with my warming domes. My Kettlepizza is badass but takes some planning and time to get running well. If I could just knock out a quick NY style or flatbread pizza using the griddle and the dome, that sure would be easier...
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:40 PM 08-01-2018
Wife wants cheese steaks this weekend, so I guess I'm doing cheese steaks. Thin sliced ribeye, onions, peppers, and cheese. I may do one with steak, mushrooms, and cheese, with an au jus.
I hate sirloins but split a cow every year so I always have these massive bastards sitting around.

I took a sirloin and cooked it sous vide to 130 degrees for about 3 hours. I sliced it and tossed it on there for the cheesesteaks and they were outstanding. Maybe not my absolute best (because I didn't use ribeyes) but as a use for an otherwise bland, fairly useless hunk of meat - it was great.

I presume you have a pair of melting domes? They're great for the peppers/onions.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 03:48 PM 08-01-2018
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I hate sirloins but split a cow every year so I always have these massive bastards sitting around.

I took a sirloin and cooked it sous vide to 130 degrees for about 3 hours. I sliced it and tossed it on there for the cheesesteaks and they were outstanding. Maybe not my absolute best (because I didn't use ribeyes) but as a use for an otherwise bland, fairly useless hunk of meat - it was great.

I presume you have a pair of melting domes? They're great for the peppers/onions.
I have one dome. Probably need to pick up another soon.

My experience with sirloins in the sous vide has been outstanding. I don't even particularly like sirloin, but they work great in sous vide.

Costco has some prime sirloins I may try.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 03:51 PM 08-01-2018
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I did the same thing, man. I was looking for gas grill recommendations when the local sears was going out of business and taking 60% off of them. In the process I stumbled onto this thing and was immediately sold on it.

Spent 2 days talking myself into all the cool shit I could do on it and had one by the end of the week.

They really are awesome. They allow you to do things that you just can't do otherwise (unless you want to stank your house up; even then you can't do it as well).

I'm going to try flatbread pizza on it with my warming domes. My Kettlepizza is badass but takes some planning and time to get running well. If I could just knock out a quick NY style or flatbread pizza using the griddle and the dome, that sure would be easier...
I'm thinking of getting rid of my charcoal grill and kettle pizza. I enjoy it, I just don't ever use it. I can make a damn good pizza on a 500F steel in my oven, and it's more consistent. You really only need the kettle if you're doing those 3-minute Neapolitan-style pizzas where you need 700-800F.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 04:06 PM 08-01-2018
I'm thinking of getting rid of my charcoal grill and kettle pizza. I enjoy it, I just don't ever use it. I can make a damn good pizza on a 500F steel in my oven, and it's more consistent. You really only need the kettle if you're doing those 3-minute Neapolitan-style pizzas where you need 700-800F.
Yup, but I prefer that style. And it's more fun to do that when you have pizza parties.

About twice a year I'll have people to my house and I'll just lay out a few peels and some dough balls with a shitload of toppings and stuff. They make their pie, I cook it and then go get one from the next guy.

Yeah, if you're making just a basic ol' pizza it's hard to go wrong with a simple oven. You won't get as good a 'pop' as you could get from the kettle pizza but it's a lot easier.

If you really wanted to knock it out of the park I wonder if it would be worthwhile to put it on that 700 degree floor just for a minute or so to get the best pop from the crust then move it to the oven to finish. Obviously way more work than it's worth but you'd get the best of both worlds that way.

I still use my charcoal grill for anything barbecued (chicken and pork steak). Gas grills just can't do the job as well; the char's never as good and the flavor is fine but it's just...wrong. I also use it for a good steak (I don't do sous vid on a ribeye, filet or stip). I may occasionally use it for grilled burgers but the smash burgers are just better...
[Reply]
Page 6 of 16
« First < 23456 78910 > Last »
Up