ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 16
< 123 456713 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Griddles
Fire Me Boy! 11:12 AM 07-31-2018
Anyone have one of these outdoor (or indoor, I don't care how you use it) griddles like the Blackstone? Basically, it's a propane fired steel griddle in various sizes - I have a 36". If you've ever been to a hibachi restaurant where they cook in front of you, basically one of those.

This is a place for sharing. What do you have, what do you like to cook on it?

I broke mine in this weekend with some fried rice, KC strip, and mixed veggies. It wasn't perfect, but it was damn good.

I'm thinking about doing some smashburgers this weekend, or maybe a big breakfast - bacon, french toast, hash browns.
[Reply]
Buehler445 01:28 PM 07-31-2018
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
August + Alabama is worse.
Accordingly, we need to talk in November.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:29 PM 07-31-2018
Anyone have one of these outdoor (or indoor, I don't care how you use it) griddles like the Blackstone? Basically, it's a propane fired steel griddle in various sizes - I have a 36". If you've ever been to a hibachi restaurant where they cook in front of you, basically one of those.

This is a place for sharing. What do you have, what do you like to cook on it?

I broke mine in this weekend with some fried rice, KC strip, and mixed veggies. It wasn't perfect, but it was damn good.

I'm thinking about doing some smashburgers this weekend, or maybe a big breakfast - bacon, french toast, hash browns.
Got one a month or so ago.

I !@#$ing LOVE that thing. Use it probably once a week but yeah, smashburgers are absolutely nails on it.

Your heat won't really run into the mid 500s until you start to get it seasoned better. I have no answer as to why. I also got some galvanized gutter flashing and built 'wind blocks' from it that block the gap between the table top and the base. I just bent the bottoms over and drilled holes in them, then put the pegs from the table through them. Be careful though - if you do that and don't have enough circulation, you can get north of 600 and maybe damage the top (I melted my electric starter). Just monitor with an infrared closely and you'll figure out how your rig behaves soon enough.

I've done fajitas, smashburgers, stir fry, breakfast (burritos and just general bacon/eggs) and philly cheese steaks on them. I figure it'll be a great finishing unit for a sous vide sirloin but haven't actually used it for that yet.

I took it to a buddy's ranch and we cooked for 30 people on it for the week. I sold 4 of those things while we were up there; my buddy, his dad, my father in law and my dad all bought one within 2 weeks of seeing them in action.

I pretty much stole mine; sale price, coupon and floor model so I got the whole smash full assembled for $160.00 but hell, even their list price of $250 is a steal. Anybody that enjoys cooking really needs one of those blackstones - they're just awesome.

Get a covermates ultima cover for them - expensive but they last forever. I'd also hit Etsy and find a stainless hard top for the actual table (unless you just take it inside between uses). The actual blackstone top has been sold out forever.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:34 PM 07-31-2018
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
How hot does it get? Can you use that to sear instead of cast iron?
Yes. And when you scrape the crud off (because it cooks on), make sure the scraper doesn't slip because then you'll also sear the shit out of your knuckles. Took 3 weeks for the tops of mine to finally heal.

Originally Posted by dirk digler:
They said max is 560 F I believe
It won't get there without a little work, IMO. Unless you're in a very still location and even then it took time for the seasoning to really give it that boost. I definitely wouldn't expect it cooler temperatures. Some people will add a 10 PSI regulator to it but frankly anything over 2 would turn the damn thing into a jet engine and almost certainly wreck your top.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:38 PM 07-31-2018
PS - Just buy this.

https://www.amazon.com/Mercer-Culina.../dp/B01N4EKI7N

Don't pay attention to the price and yes you can probably find one almost as good for less. You can probably find that one for less if you shop around. But you will NOT find a better one at any price. For smash burgers there is simply nothing better - it's robust, the handle doesn't retain heat and it has the surface area to keep burger from squishing out the sides. It's perfect and if you use it to start your smash and a bacon press on top of it with your other hand to finish it, you can rock through those things. I've found you can do about a dozen of them at a time with the right spacing and no regard for your own well-being.

EDIT: here - restaurant supply store has a better price on it.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/mer...SABEgLkxPD_BwE
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 02:11 PM 07-31-2018
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Got one a month or so ago.

I !@#$ing LOVE that thing. Use it probably once a week but yeah, smashburgers are absolutely nails on it.

Your heat won't really run into the mid 500s until you start to get it seasoned better. I have no answer as to why. I also got some galvanized gutter flashing and built 'wind blocks' from it that block the gap between the table top and the base. I just bent the bottoms over and drilled holes in them, then put the pegs from the table through them. Be careful though - if you do that and don't have enough circulation, you can get north of 600 and maybe damage the top (I melted my electric starter). Just monitor with an infrared closely and you'll figure out how your rig behaves soon enough.

I've done fajitas, smashburgers, stir fry, breakfast (burritos and just general bacon/eggs) and philly cheese steaks on them. I figure it'll be a great finishing unit for a sous vide sirloin but haven't actually used it for that yet.

I took it to a buddy's ranch and we cooked for 30 people on it for the week. I sold 4 of those things while we were up there; my buddy, his dad, my father in law and my dad all bought one within 2 weeks of seeing them in action.

I pretty much stole mine; sale price, coupon and floor model so I got the whole smash full assembled for $160.00 but hell, even their list price of $250 is a steal. Anybody that enjoys cooking really needs one of those blackstones - they're just awesome.

Get a covermates ultima cover for them - expensive but they last forever. I'd also hit Etsy and find a stainless hard top for the actual table (unless you just take it inside between uses). The actual blackstone top has been sold out forever.
I was planning to build some kind of heat shield for the front. That sucker puts a lot of heat out from under the steel.

I've got a cover, and I'm gonna make a solid cover for the steel itself. They say they have their hard cover back in stock in 3-4 weeks.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:34 PM 07-31-2018
I was planning to build some kind of heat shield for the front. That sucker puts a lot of heat out from under the steel.

I've got a cover, and I'm gonna make a solid cover for the steel itself. They say they have their hard cover back in stock in 3-4 weeks.
I'd be careful about building a shield in the front - if it's not coming out and up, then its just staying in there and I think it will eventually damage your controls.

I intentionally left the front open as I want somewhere for the heat in the front to escape to.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 02:42 PM 07-31-2018
PS - Just buy this.

https://www.amazon.com/Mercer-Culina.../dp/B01N4EKI7N

Don't pay attention to the price and yes you can probably find one almost as good for less. You can probably find that one for less if you shop around. But you will NOT find a better one at any price. For smash burgers there is simply nothing better - it's robust, the handle doesn't retain heat and it has the surface area to keep burger from squishing out the sides. It's perfect and if you use it to start your smash and a bacon press on top of it with your other hand to finish it, you can rock through those things. I've found you can do about a dozen of them at a time with the right spacing and no regard for your own well-being.

EDIT: here - restaurant supply store has a better price on it.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/mer...SABEgLkxPD_BwE
I use a stainless steel trowel for my smashburgers. Works awesome.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 02:43 PM 07-31-2018
I'd be careful about building a shield in the front - if it's not coming out and up, then its just staying in there and I think it will eventually damage your controls.

I intentionally left the front open as I want somewhere for the heat in the front to escape to.
It would still escape out the sides and back.
[Reply]
Simply Red 02:44 PM 07-31-2018
I'm basically blind - could you tell me what the max setting is regarding the surface temp? I'm thinking xmas present for the parents for sure!
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 02:46 PM 07-31-2018
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
I'm basically blind - could you tell me what the max setting is regarding the surface temp? I'm thinking xmas present for the parents for sure!
They say it'll get to 560F. I had it over 500F on the weekend.
[Reply]
Simply Red 02:53 PM 07-31-2018
They say it'll get to 560F. I had it over 500F on the weekend.
Oh that's good! Get some nice sears!

Thank you for your rapid reply and kind/courteous outline of its temperature capabilities. I appreciate it and it doesn't go unnoticed! My parents will love this in a few months!
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:02 PM 07-31-2018
It would still escape out the sides and back.
But where it would 'pool' before rolling out would be the front.

I just did the back and sides, but by all means - give it a shot. It shouldn't be a problem unless you're running it hard for a long period of time.
[Reply]
Buzz 05:24 PM 07-31-2018
Dang, you got all the cool toys, looks nice!

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
scho63 06:15 PM 07-31-2018
Here was the results of my first cook:

Dumped in the rice and mixed in one pile of onions and green onions, seasoned with furikake rice seasoning.
Next time try the Bukake sauce, a Japanese specialty! :-)
[Reply]
lewdog 08:16 PM 07-31-2018
Is this the third fucking thread you've posted a picture of this fucking griddle in???
[Reply]
Page 3 of 16
< 123 456713 > Last »
Up