ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Media Center>Over/Under on MoviePass going bankrupt
Spott 09:54 AM 07-28-2018
It was great while it lasted, but I'm giving them until Halloween before they call it quits.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:39 AM 08-06-2018

JUST IN: MoviePass will now limit customers to three movies a month, but it's backing away from a plan to raise prices https://t.co/y1o2xPBzSk

— CNN International (@cnni) August 6, 2018

[Reply]
dj56dt58 03:53 AM 08-07-2018
Doing away with peak pricing too but will still restrict some blockbusters
[Reply]
Rausch 08:20 AM 08-13-2018
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Literally losing money on every ticket sold didn't work out? What a surprise.
Apparently they were banking on the Amazon (lose money and go into debt to build the business/brand up) model in hopes of obtaining a legal monopoly on the service.

Yeah, that's a risky (and mostly doomed to fail) venture...
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 08:12 PM 08-18-2018
Originally Posted by Rausch:
Apparently they were banking on the Amazon (lose money and go into debt to build the business/brand up) model in hopes of obtaining a legal monopoly on the service.

Yeah, that's a risky (and mostly doomed to fail) venture...
Well the company is now worth less than $200,000. Less than 7 months ago it was worth almost $15 billion. That's got to be close to a record in market cap being wiped out.

At this point you could pay 10 times what the current market value is and still probably harvest the data and make money.

Hmmm.....
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan 10:18 PM 08-18-2018
Originally Posted by RINGLEADER:
Well the company is now worth less than $200,000. Less than 7 months ago it was worth almost $15 billion. That's got to be close to a record in market cap being wiped out.

At this point you could pay 10 times what the current market value is and still probably harvest the data and make money.

Hmmm.....
That's outrageous. I didn't realize it had gotten so big. I must have been living under a rock.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 10:37 PM 08-18-2018
Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan:
That's outrageous. I didn't realize it had gotten so big. I must have been living under a rock.
monopoly on tickets to movies? :-)

Even though they are a near monopoly, Amazon still adds value to my life that cheap movie tickets never would.
[Reply]
Fish 10:41 PM 08-18-2018

[Reply]
Rain Man 10:59 PM 08-18-2018
I didn't sign up for Movie Pass, but I'm hoping to see a similar concept where I can pay $9.95 a month for unlimited groceries at my local grocery store.
[Reply]
Otter 12:02 AM 08-19-2018
Never really understood going to a movie theater so you could watch a movie in pretty much a non-social environment surrounded by a bunch of strangers unless it was a niche/cult film like 'Lord of the Rings' or 'Jackass' where everyone was on the same page overall.

Have you guys been in the DC forum? You want to pay for that experience? :-)
[Reply]
Rasputin 02:43 AM 08-19-2018
It's stupid when the MoviePass (express) line is longer than the peasant line so if everyone is in the special line your wasting your time lol.
[Reply]
hometeam 07:33 AM 08-19-2018
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I didn't sign up for Movie Pass, but I'm hoping to see a similar concept where I can pay $9.95 a month for unlimited groceries at my local grocery store.

[Reply]
dj56dt58 08:51 AM 08-19-2018
move theaters are past their time anyway..it's time to bring new releases to streaming.
[Reply]
PmCakes 08:58 AM 08-19-2018
I read an article about how MoviePass investors have lost over 99% of their money. There are more failures in the silicon valley then there are successes. Nobody wants to talk about them.
[Reply]
vailpass 09:42 AM 08-19-2018
Going to a theater used to be the only way to see a movie so everyone did it.

Now you can see those same movies in your home after they are in the theatre so going out to see a movie has become a nice way to get out of the house and do something. Now less people are doing it as they choose to watch in their home for a fraction of the cost of a theater trip in a much more comfortable setting.

The current younger generations will consume movies more and more on-demand to watch what, when, where, and with who they want and theaters will go the way of the print newspaper.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:46 AM 08-19-2018
I have actually been to more movies in theaters these past couple years than I have in a long time. My wife and I enjoy it. But a lot of that is because our theater we go to has moved to recliners seats that you can buy and reserve online, so the whole experience of having to get there early to get a good seat is removed.

Couple that with AMC doing $5 tickets and $5 popcorn/drink on Tuesdays, and it's a nice evolution of the movie theater experience.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up