ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 12 of 18
« First < 289101112 13141516 > Last »
Media Center>Video Card chat
Mephistopheles Janx 03:06 PM 11-06-2020
I just picked up a new monitor (34" Ultra Wide 1440p 144MHz 1500R Curve Samsung Panel -VA) to replace my 3 monitor setup (24" ASUS 1080p). Now I need a new video card to drive the monitor.

My current rig is:

Intel Core i-7 4770k Processor
32GB DDR3 Memory
Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5 Motherboard
Radeon RX 570 Video Card

This card is going to struggle to push anything more than low to medium graphics on games with this new monitor. Where I'm torn is the cost of new video cards.

If I'm looking hard enough, I can stumble across an open box 5600 for $200 or $230 new. A 5700 for $320 (open box) or $350 new. But at that point... why would I just not drop another $100 for the 6700 at $449?

Ultimately... that makes the 5700 a non player and I'm left choosing between a 5600 at $230 or a 6700 at $450. I'd rather not spend an extra $220 but I feel like the 6700 would probably be the last video card my current build sees.

Then what about the 20x series by nVidia? By paying a touch more I get Ray Tracing which is cool but I'm not paying for a 2080, for what I would pay for a 2070 I may as well snag one of the new AMD cards. A 2060 is going for $320 new... I don't know that Ray Tracing is worth nearly $100.

Better yet... do any of you fellow nerds have an itch to update and want to sell me their 5k/20x series cards?
[Reply]
Fish 02:08 AM 02-13-2021
So, this week I made 3 separate morning visits to Microcenter, hoping to snag a new GeForce RTX 30X0 card. Didn't have any luck, but it was certainly amusing people watching. Shortly after they open at 10am, an awkward group gathers around the empty shelves that normally hold hundreds of video cards. Mainly nerdy goofs like myself. But nobody knows what's going on, or how it's supposed to work as far as if/when they bring out new boxes of goodies. Everyone stands around for 20-30 minutes like a bunch of caged animals, waiting for the morning food drop.

In talking to one of the eldest techs working the computer parts area, this is what I've gathered...

While shipments are mostly random, they typically get new 30X0 cards to stock on M-W-F mornings. But not every one of those days. It varies greatly when they get shipments, and they really don't know ahead of time, and cannot take reservations. The website data on quantities and availability is completely unreliable, do not believe what you see there unless the available quantity is above 20.

On top of that, it's now the Chinese New Year. Which means Asian production of chips effectively shuts down for 2 weeks. During an already historic shortage of silicon computer chips.

:-)
[Reply]
Dayze 07:53 PM 02-18-2021
just a random quesiton

what sort of video card and CPU would be needed to run3 monitors sub 4k res?
In this next year, I think I'm going to try to build a gaming PC. primiarly for Flight Sim, and American Truck Sim (maybe a racing game eventuallY).

wasn't sure if 3 monitors would be the way to go, or a single monitor with Track IR.I'm at the very beginning of my research on this crap. :-)
[Reply]
hometeam 08:44 PM 02-18-2021
Originally Posted by Dayze:
just a random quesiton

In this next year, I think I'm going to try to build a gaming PC. primiarly for Flight Sim, and American Truck Sim (maybe a racing game eventuallY).

wasn't sure if 3 monitors would be the way to go, or a single monitor with Track IR.I'm at the very beginning of my research on this crap. :-)
SO you gotta think here, the amount of pixels you are pushing is huge.

4k is 4x 1080, so even if you wanted to do 3x 1080p , you are pushing 3/4 of the pixels of a 4k display. if you want to go 3x1440, now you are talking about pushing way more than a single 4k display.

And, you are talking microsoft flight simulator as well, which is VERY cpu bound. The best somewhat achievable setup out there (currently 5900x+3090 or the likes) would not be a world beater at 3x1080p

So really the answer is.. the fastest GPU can afford, with the fastest CPU you can afford. 3x 1080p is still a pretty hefty system, and you are going to want all the power you can muster.
[Reply]
Dayze 07:46 AM 02-19-2021
Hmmmm. thanks mang.

Yeah, it might end up being a more single monitor set up with Track IR. as much as I would love a 3 monitor solution for imersion....don't think that'll be in the budget GPU/CPU.

was hoping to keep the build budget in the ball park of $1k. (just the gaming system, no monitors etc). Sounds like to do the sweet triple monitor set up with moderate graphics would be wayyy more than that
[Reply]
hometeam 07:56 PM 02-19-2021
Hmmmm. thanks mang.

Yeah, it might end up being a more single monitor set up with Track IR. as much as I would love a 3 monitor solution for imersion....don't think that'll be in the budget GPU/CPU.

was hoping to keep the build budget in the ball park of $1k. (just the gaming system, no monitors etc). Sounds like to do the sweet triple monitor set up with moderate graphics would be wayyy more than that
3070+5600x maybe if you could get your hands on em
[Reply]
Demonpenz 02:10 PM 02-20-2021
just a random quesiton

just get a superultra wide and call it a day
[Reply]
Demonpenz 02:11 PM 02-20-2021
Hmmmm. thanks mang.

the xbox buttons are broke because I put an aftermarket hub on and fucked it up but you can have my g920 if you are in KC
[Reply]
Fish 10:49 AM 02-26-2021
GPU Tales of Terror: Episode 8

So, NVidia dropped their new line of RTX 3060s today. A 12GB model for under $500. I went out to Microcenter early this time, just in case. Got there about 9:45, and there was already about ~40+ people in line. :-) Some of these motherfuckers brought camping chairs and sleeping bags. Who knows WTF time they started the line. They opened the doors about 9:55ish. By that point, the line outside ran all the way down the side of the building, and around the corner down the street. Fucking bananas.

They had about 20 or so RTX cards to give out. Pretty much every person that was in line went directly to the computer parts counter to form another line to wait for GPU cards. They handed out little slips of paper for the number of available cards, like they were Willy Wonka golden tickets. There were about 20 people still in line in front of me when they ran out. :-)
[Reply]
Pants 10:53 AM 02-26-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:

So, NVidia dropped their new line of RTX 3060s today. A 12GB model for under $500. I went out to Microcenter early this time, just in case. Got there about 9:45, and there was already about ~40+ people in line. :-) Some of these motherfuckers brought camping chairs and sleeping bags. Who knows WTF time they started the line. They opened the doors about 9:55ish. By that point, the line outside ran all the way down the side of the building, and around the corner down the street. Fucking bananas.

They had about 20 or so RTX cards to give out. Pretty much every person that was in line went directly to the computer parts counter to form another line to wait for GPU cards. They handed out little slips of paper for the number of available cards, like they were Willy Wonka golden tickets. There were about 20 people still in line in front of me when they ran out. :-)
Wow.

Sucks for AMD and Nvidia too. People are yelling at them to take their money and they are just like :-)...
[Reply]
underEJ 11:34 AM 02-26-2021
I've been trying to get a 3090 since the first day and the only way I could get one was to buy the whole prebuilt system instead of configuring to suit. And even now as it hasn't arrived yet (eta Tuesday) I am suspicious of its actual existence! Part for part I figure I paid about a 400 dollar mark up so a little much, but I can get work to reimburse some of it. I was pretty happy with the components, so overall not too disappointed in the route I had to take. Obviously, that assumes it actually shows up Tuesday. My new monitor already got here.

I bought this for work needs, but I think I might have to try some gaming now which I haven't done for 20 years.
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 03:28 PM 02-26-2021

So, NVidia dropped their new line of RTX 3060s today. A 12GB model for under $500. I went out to Microcenter early this time, just in case. Got there about 9:45, and there was already about ~40+ people in line. :-) Some of these mother****ers brought camping chairs and sleeping bags. Who knows WTF time they started the line. They opened the doors about 9:55ish. By that point, the line outside ran all the way down the side of the building, and around the corner down the street. ****ing bananas.

Keep trying man you just need to get lucky.
[Reply]
vailpass 12:44 PM 03-02-2021

So, NVidia dropped their new line of RTX 3060s today. A 12GB model for under $500. I went out to Microcenter early this time, just in case. Got there about 9:45, and there was already about ~40+ people in line. :-) Some of these mother****ers brought camping chairs and sleeping bags. Who knows WTF time they started the line. They opened the doors about 9:55ish. By that point, the line outside ran all the way down the side of the building, and around the corner down the street. ****ing bananas.

Damn man. You've really been putting in the work. I hope next time you walk into MicroCenter a clerk there tells you they just got a shipment of 3080 in and he's not supposed to stock them yet but he's gonna' sell you one on the side.
[Reply]
vailpass 12:53 PM 03-02-2021
I've grown tired of having all the parts here except the gpu for the last three months. I'm going to build my son's new rig using the new parts and a 1660 Super card that I have in another PC.

Does anyone know of any reason I couldn't just swap out the 1660 for a 3080 if/when I ever get one? Other than needing to wire for the 12 pin PSU connector?
[Reply]
Rukdafaidas 12:58 PM 03-02-2021
I just got this alert for those looking for an RTX. It will probably go quick. I did notice that it states in stock April 6th also.
[Reply]
Fish 01:36 PM 03-02-2021
Originally Posted by Rukdafaidas:
I just got this alert for those looking for an RTX. It will probably go quick. I did notice that it states in stock April 6th also.
Thanks. But if you actually try to purchase, it says it's no longer available.
[Reply]
Page 12 of 18
« First < 289101112 13141516 > Last »
Up