ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Riding/Zero Turn Mowers
blake5676 08:00 AM 10-08-2020
Anyone have strong opinions on best brand, new/used, deck width, etc? We're a few weeks from finishing up building our new house. It's on slightly less than two acres so I'll be needing to get a new mower.

Zero turns look like a hell of a lot of fun, so I'm inclined to go that route. I've heard multiple people throughout the years say things like "just don't go buying one from HD, Lowe's, Menards" and to buy one from a reputable dealer.

Would like to stay somewhere between $2-5k and don't have a terribly strong preference on whether I buy new or used, but any suggestions from the CP hive on your experiences or advice on what to stay away from?
[Reply]
F150 08:22 AM 10-09-2020
Originally Posted by Lzen:
Aren't Farris professional-grade mowers? I have a buddy who has a 60" Farris and I think he paid about $11k for it. Yikes! But he has a side mowing business.
I have not looked at current prices. Farris is best known for independent suspension that is way more comfy than most. I suppose they are $$ but id bet comparable to the upper end, lower than Grasshopper.

Just looked, the new that would be abot same as mine is around $9500. Would expect to get better prices between now and December

https://www.hopkinsvilleoutdoor.com/...ynamic/IS2100Z
[Reply]
Lzen 08:31 AM 10-09-2020
Originally Posted by F150:
I have not looked at current prices. Farris is best known for independent suspension that is way more comfy than most. I suppose they are $$ but id bet comparable to the upper end, lower than Grasshopper.

Just looked, the new that would be abot same as mine is around $9500. Would expect to get better prices between now and December

https://www.hopkinsvilleoutdoor.com/...ynamic/IS2100Z
Oh, I'm sure those are excellent mowers. My buddy is a huge lawn guy so I know he knows his stuff. Just a little too rich for my blood.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:33 AM 10-09-2020
Everybody around here either has a Ferris anymore or a Grasshopper.

Ferris is, according to several of my friends, the most comfortable riding mower ever produced.

The main reason so many have Grasshoppers is because my neighbors sells and services them.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:41 AM 10-09-2020
My biggest issue with my zero turn is that the tires suck.

Make sure you get good, grabby tires. Otherwise, you're going to be doing a lot of useless donuts in your yard.
[Reply]
ChiefaRoo 09:05 AM 10-09-2020
Grasshopper mowers are top of the line and they’re made in Kansas.
[Reply]
seclark 09:13 AM 10-09-2020
this is my 4th summer on a cub cadet 48"
i mow 11acres w/it
kind of small, but the wife likes the grass mowed short:-)
takes 3-4 hours
keep the blades sharp and the oil changed...that's all i've had done to it

it's a mowing machine on the flat ground, but a pain in the ass on the ditches and the pond banks. don't really care about that though, because she weed eats those.
sec

edit to add i'll raise the deck all the way up to mow the trails in the woods to my deer stands/blinds...pretty handy for that too
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:15 AM 10-09-2020
Originally Posted by seclark:
this is my 4th summer on a cub cadet 48"
i mow 11acres w/it
kind of small, but the wife likes the grass mowed short:-)
takes 3-4 hours
keep the blades sharp and the oil changed...that's all i've had done to it

it's a mowing machine on the flat ground, but a pain in the ass on the ditches and the pond banks. don't really care about that though, because she weed eats those.
sec
I hate my Cub Cadet. If I lived in the city with a regular yard, sure. But hills, banks, just about anything but flat and straight ground and it spins around like a kid on a kick board.
[Reply]
seclark 09:18 AM 10-09-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I hate my Cub Cadet. If I lived in the city with a regular yard, sure. But hills, banks, just about anything but flat and straight ground and it spins around like a kid on a kick board.
you're correct...had to put some different tires on it. at first it was worthless after a rain.
sec
[Reply]
emaw1979 09:18 AM 10-09-2020
I have a Toro Timecutter and have owned it for 3 years now. It's been fantastic. I bought the grass clipping bagger extension as well. Are there better? I'm sure but for 15,000 square feet it works.

The only downside is I didn't measure the gate to the backyard. It wouldn't fit so I had to build one on the other side of the fence.
[Reply]
Dayze 12:24 PM 02-25-2021
gettting very close to making a decision.

lawn tracter, I would go with the Cub Cadet XT2 42" with the Kawi twin in it.

ZT...i'm not sure which. Toro TC or Airen's XD 42

I still haven't made the decision on ZT or regular tractor. I live in the burbs, your standard lot; I think the lot is probably between 7-9k (WAG based on some rushed google maps measurements). Don't have any tress in the back, and only 2 in the font. no real obstacles to speak of. prefer fabricated decks and good power. FLat yard, no slopes.

my initial budget was like $1k...:-); but I've been out of the riding mower game for the better part of 15 years. I don't want to just get a cheap mower just because it's cheap. I'm the type that maintains and keeps for quite a while. I don't mind paying a little more for better quality/service.
[Reply]
TribalElder 10:42 PM 02-25-2021
I ended up pulling the trigger on a John Deere z525e for 2400 brand new at Lowe’s last nov/dec

0% for 2 years

Only regret is that I didn’t buy 2 at the time

Jan 1 they went back up to 3999
[Reply]
neech 11:36 PM 02-25-2021
Originally Posted by Dayze:
gettting very close to making a decision.

lawn tracter, I would go with the Cub Cadet XT2 42" with the Kawi twin in it.

ZT...i'm not sure which. Toro TC or Airen's XD 42
I haven't looked at the Cadets but I thought the Ariens oil filter wasn't very easy to get compared to other ZT's.
[Reply]
jdubya 12:01 AM 02-26-2021

[Reply]
Holladay 01:28 AM 02-26-2021
Originally Posted by :
I live in the burbs, your standard lot
Why do you need a riding mower? What is your storage space for a riding mower? If you don't have hills to deal with, I would go with a cheapy Walmart mower. Why spend the money on a Grasshopper?

Mowers are not a good investment.
[Reply]
Holladay 01:30 AM 02-26-2021
Originally Posted by :
I've been out of the riding mower game for the better part of 15 years.
It sounds like you know what you are doing. 15 years is nothing.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 6
< 1234 56 >
Up