ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 73 of 386
« First < 23636970717273 7475767783123173 > Last »
Media Center>Game of Thrones Seasons 7-8
keg in kc 02:23 PM 05-24-2017
About to hit the 5000 post mark on the old thread, the first season 7 trailer today seems like the right time to start the final Game of Thones thread.

I'm going back to the original rules pre-2015. I don't think we need supervision or bannings. Just don't be a dick. Post anything you find online that hasn't aired yet inside of spoiler tags. That's pretty much it. I think we can all handle that...

For future us, 2015 thread is here: Link
[Reply]
DaFace 10:39 AM 08-15-2017
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
I know they're pushing the story forward at a faster pace, but the Glendry reappearance felt super rushed.
Though I continue to generally be OK with it, this episode was probably the least cohesive we've had since some of the Sand Snakes episodes.

With no buildup at all, the plan suddenly became "We're gonna sneak into a city under siege by rowing a boat up to it and walking in, then convince the woman who clearly has no interest in anything other than world domination to suddenly put everything on pause by sending Jon to go capture an undead creature and bring it back (a journey that should really take a month or two each direction).

It's ludicrously simplistic compared to GRRM's style of scheming.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 10:39 AM 08-15-2017
Originally Posted by Fish:
I'm wondering how the fuck a fact that important to the rulers of Westeros gets lost in a book? All those grumpy maesters with all those books, and that little piece of info was just sitting there undiscovered, only to be found by goofy ass Gilly?

I guess they'd like us to believe that it got lost all this time because whoever wrote it recorded everything, like how many steps were in the Great Sept of Baelor and even his own bowel movements. Maybe the super-sensible maesters tried to read through it but figured the guy was a crackpot..? But, yeah. That is BIG news. No way that just gets scribbled down and never passed on orally.

I'm more interested in seeing how GRRM reveals this information.
[Reply]
Bowser 10:41 AM 08-15-2017
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Though I continue to generally be OK with it, this episode was probably the least cohesive we've had since some of the Sand Snakes episodes.

With no buildup at all, the plan suddenly became "We're gonna sneak into a city under siege by rowing a boat up to it and walking in, then convince the woman who clearly has no interest in anything other than world domination to suddenly put everything on pause by sending Jon to go capture an undead creature and bring it back (a journey that should really take a month or two each direction).

And then they actually make it to Eastwatch and cross under the bridge! They must have Rick's Portal Gun.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:52 AM 08-15-2017

My biggest issue with it is the Cersei aspect.

So you're telling me that Cersei knew about the meeting with Tyron yet somehow didn't have him captured and killed? She fucking despises him. No way does she just let him meet with Jaime and then leave.
[Reply]
KCUnited 10:54 AM 08-15-2017
Yeah, I had been longing for a Gendry/Jon Snow collaboration since it was revealed they were both bastards. It seems like all we got were a couple jokes and a "let's go kick some undead ass!" moment.

That said, the Dothraki riding over the crest towards Jaime's army in the episode before still gives me chills and I've watched it 3x. So I can't really complain all that much.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 10:56 AM 08-15-2017
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Yeah, I had been longing for a Gendry/Jon Snow collaboration since it was revealed they were both bastards. It seems like all we got were a couple jokes and a "let's go kick some undead ass!" moment.

That said, the Dothraki riding over the crest towards Jaime's army in the episode before still gives me chills and I've watched it 3x. So I can't really complain all that much.
Still get a laugh out of Jaimes face when Drogon roars.
[Reply]
KCUnited 11:04 AM 08-15-2017
Remember the time Jorah and Gendry showed up at halftime and the Mud Dogs won the Bourbon Bowl, do ya?
[Reply]
NewChief 11:11 AM 08-15-2017

Yeah. Even going to Cersei/King's Landing has no real purpose. If you can capture a wight, you can capture a wight. Cersei will either be convinced or not, whether you've forewarned her that you're going north to capture a wight. So, that aspect of the plan makes no sense other than as a plot device to 1) Have Jaime start questioning Cersei 2) Get Gendry reunited with the Suicide Squad. 3) Show that Dany's crew has a leaker (which also makes no sense as pointed out below, in that if Cersei knew Tyrion was below the city beforehand, we'd have a very dead dwarf on our hands).

That's just nitpicking when compared with the absolute WORST part of the episode, which was that shitty opening with Super Scuba Bron and Jaime Cousteau.

Other than as a plot device, the trip to KL served no real logical purpose. That being said, I've just decided to roll with the dumbed down GOT and enjoy the ride.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 11:13 AM 08-15-2017

I know - and I don't buy the arguments that "well - they have no other choice! The show explained it."

No, it really didn't. Tyrion, who has been advising caution from the beginning, has been advocating that they take KL (the difference from Dany being they not roast KL to oblivion). Why is the plan now to sit on their hands after decimating the Lannister army? I mean, Dany wants KL, right? Eventually her forces are going to have to go there.

The entire KL subplot was, uh, weak too.

With that said, this is still my favorite show on television. Though many don't talk about it now, Breaking Bad had a few of these issues in the latter part of the series. Issues like this tend to appear when the scale of any narrative expands, and this is especially true of the fantasy genre.

FYI, everyone having a jetpack now doesn't particularly bother me. The only time it's been inconsistent this year was this episode, when they're trying to sell that Dany and all the lords of Winterfell are just going to sit on their hands as the time passes.

Overall, it feels like D&D are approaching this backwards (they have a solid ending from GRRM and are jerking around the chess pieces to get there), as long as they give the ending justice, I'll be thrilled.
[Reply]
rico 11:21 AM 08-15-2017
Originally Posted by RustShack:
I wonder how long after the books are finished until the series gets a reboot.
I think a prequel is more likely.
[Reply]
patteeu 11:35 AM 08-15-2017
Originally Posted by Pestilence:
My biggest issue with it is the Cersei aspect.

So you're telling me that Cersei knew about the meeting with Tyron yet somehow didn't have him captured and killed? She fucking despises him. No way does she just let him meet with Jaime and then leave.
She could have found out about the meeting after it happened but before Jaime went to see her.
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:39 AM 08-15-2017
Originally Posted by patteeu:
She could have found out about the meeting after it happened but before Jaime went to see her.
IIRC, she specified that she paid Bronn to set up the meeting. That's a small detail that hasn't been discussed much.

She wanted to illustrate to Jaime that ol' faithful Bronn is only faithful to the $, and that only she was his one true ally. Then she slaps Jaime with the "i'm pregnant now kiss me" crap.
[Reply]
BucEyedPea 11:41 AM 08-15-2017
I just started Game of Thrones two week ago. Now on Season 5.

Really, not my favorite of the series out there. But I will complete it. Can't read this thread yet in case of spoilers.
[Reply]
ModSocks 11:45 AM 08-15-2017
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:

Really, not my favorite of the series out there. But I will complete it. Can't read this thread yet in case of spoilers.
Pretty much stay away until you're caught up. If you've read even a single post in this thread, you've spoiled yourself already.
[Reply]
Frazod 12:52 PM 08-15-2017
Originally Posted by BucEyedPea:

I have been asked in the past if people should binge watch GoT, and I generally tell them no. That much pain and suffering is best spread out over a few months, at least. :-)
[Reply]
Page 73 of 386
« First < 23636970717273 7475767783123173 > Last »
Up