ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 447 of 1209
« First < 347397437443444445446447 448449450451457497547947 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Fire Me Boy! What's For Dinner? Thread
Buehler445 08:45 AM 07-15-2015
Since the other one got too big, let's keep the food truck rolling. Whacha got?

Vol 2. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285408
[Reply]
Stewie 05:22 PM 02-25-2017
Chicken noodle soup. It has turned cold here and it seems appropriate. Veggies from Sprouts Farmers Market fill the bill. Boneless, skinless chicken breast and some noodles make it a great dish. Oh, and some fresh bread I baked today.
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 05:25 PM 02-25-2017
Originally Posted by Nickhead:
back in the day this would have sufficed me. but i now refuse to use any canned vegetables for anything. i will do frozen veggies, but only in things like my cream of mushroom and thyme chicken and rice. i think i posted my irish stew ingredients a page or two back :-)

Agreed on canned. I'm a little flummoxed why one would choose canned veg for a slow cooked meal anyway. Baby red or gold potatoes would require only a quick rinse, and a bag of baby carrots are ready to go. Both would improve any stew substantially over canned equivalents.
[Reply]
Nickhead 05:32 PM 02-25-2017
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
Agreed on canned. I'm a little flummoxed why one would choose canned veg for a slow cooked meal anyway. Baby red or gold potatoes would require only a quick rinse, and a bag of baby carrots are ready to go. Both would improve any stew substantially over canned equivalents.
this has got me thinking. the in-laws gave us a silverside from a raffle win. i think i may do mashed veggies tonight to go with. potatoes, carrot, broccoli, pumpkin and celery all boiled and mashed with butter, sour cream, and shredded cheese. milk, salt and pepper. :-)
[Reply]
Stewie 05:39 PM 02-25-2017
There are three veggies that are canned with very good results. Corn, beans (nearly all kinds) and tomatoes. Whole San Marzano tomatoes in a can will fulfill your every tomato need.
[Reply]
Easy 6 05:52 PM 02-25-2017
Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy!:
While I completely agree about canned veggies, gblowfish was clearly going for a "budget gourmet" cheap and easy thing with that dish

One good thing that might happen with canned veggies in a long time cook, is that they will basically dissolve and become part of the gravy if cooked long enough
[Reply]
Nickhead 06:02 PM 02-25-2017
don't get me wrong, i understood the budget angle. i used to do it all the time too :-)
[Reply]
Fire Me Boy! 06:03 PM 02-25-2017
Originally Posted by Stewie:
There are three veggies that are canned with very good results. Corn, beans (nearly all kinds) and tomatoes. Whole San Marzano tomatoes in a can will fulfill your every tomato need.

Beans and tomatoes, absolutely. IMO, the rest are better frozen if fresh isn't an option.
[Reply]
Buzz 06:17 PM 02-25-2017
I went a little more healthy tonight, had some fish I needed to use before it got freezer burnt. Baked fish, whole grain brown rice and broccoli.

Attached: 20170225_171500.jpg (113.1 KB) 
[Reply]
Buzz 06:20 PM 02-25-2017
Originally Posted by scho63:
Those fries look SUPER crispy and delicious. :-)

ALDI season fries, better than any name brand and they bake up perfect.
[Reply]
scho63 06:43 PM 02-25-2017
Originally Posted by Buzz:
ALDI season fries, better than any name brand and they bake up perfect.
I would swear they were fried. Are they sprayed with any oil? :-)
[Reply]
Buzz 06:56 PM 02-25-2017
No, I just turn them several times while baking.
[Reply]
gblowfish 08:34 PM 02-25-2017
Did you get the spaetzle or potatoes? I love spaetzle. My German heritage grandmother made it from scratch as a kid. Several of her sisters lived in Lancaster PA in Dutch country.

Pot roasts, stews, egg noodles, homemade chicken soup, apple fritter pancakes, great Christmas cookies. Oh boy do I miss that wonderful time of my life. :-)
I had the potatoes. I've had spaetzle before, not a big fan. Their desserts looked great, but I was too full.
[Reply]
gblowfish 08:37 PM 02-25-2017
Originally Posted by Nickhead:
back in the day this would have sufficed me. but i now refuse to use any canned vegetables for anything. i will do frozen veggies, but only in things like my cream of mushroom and thyme chicken and rice. i think i posted my irish stew ingredients a page or two back :-)
I understand this sentiment, but I had the veggies in the cupboard and wanted to use them up. I've made other stews that use gold potatoes sliced, and fresh mushrooms, but I had all the ingredients ready to go. It turned out fine. And yes, if you over cook it, the veggies can turn to mush. Also, I add just a little corn starch at the end to tighten it up just a bit. It was very tasty, hit the spot.

Oh, sometimes if you want the stew to have some spicy kick, I add mexican pickled carrots. They're wonderful, but a little dab will do ya.
[Reply]
Buzz 02-25-2017, 08:53 PM
This message has been deleted by Buzz.
Fire Me Boy! 09:02 PM 02-25-2017
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
I understand this sentiment, but I had the veggies in the cupboard and wanted to use them up. I've made other stews that use gold potatoes sliced, and fresh mushrooms, but I had all the ingredients ready to go. It turned out fine. And yes, if you over cook it, the veggies can turn to mush. Also, I add just a little corn starch at the end to tighten it up just a bit. It was very tasty, hit the spot.

Oh, sometimes if you want the stew to have some spicy kick, I add mexican pickled carrots. They're wonderful, but a little dab will do ya.

Clearing the cupboard is totally understandable. :-)

And one of my great joys is life is mushy carrots from a pot roast.
[Reply]
gblowfish 09:10 PM 02-25-2017
Where's the photos? You're no NooB around here! :-)
Heh, I was watching basketball with Mrs. Blowfish, and just wanted to eat dinner. Sorry bout that.
[Reply]
Page 447 of 1209
« First < 347397437443444445446447 448449450451457497547947 > Last »
Up