ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 31 of 70
« First < 212728293031 3233343541 > Last »
Media Center>Star Trek Picard
Frazod 11:27 AM 06-20-2018
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/star-...in-development

Star Trek: The Next Generation Reboot With Patrick Stewart Reportedly in Development

Rumors of the Picard-centric reboot come amid Alex Kurtzman extending his CBS contract for a planned expansion of the Star Trek TV universe.

According to a THR article, there are unconfirmed rumors that CBS TV Studios is developing a Star Trek reboot starring Patrick Stewart in which he would reprise his The Next Generation role as Captain Jean-Luc Picard. According to THR's sources, Alex Kurtzman and Akiva Goldsman are attached to the potential reboot. Not only is this an unconfirmed project, but THR's sources also say that the deal is far from complete and might not happen. Still, this would be huge news for Star Trek fandom—however you might feel about a Picard-centric reboot.

The rumors of the Picard reboot come amidst Kurtzman renewing his overall deal with CBS Television Studios, extending his contract by five years. This will keep him in partnership with the studio through 2023, for a reported $5 million per year.

Kurtzman was recently made sole showrunner of Star Trek: Discovery following the dismissal of previous co-showrunners Aaron Harberts and Gretchen Berg who left amidst reports of bullying behavior in the writers room. Goldsman, who served as an executive producer on Season 1 of Discovery, also left the show, reportedly due to a clash with the writing staff in terms of management style and personality, so it's interesting that he is still attached to the potential Picard-centric reboot.

In addition to his work on Star Trek: Discovery, Kurtzman's extended deal with CBS Television Studios will include an expansion of the Star Trek franchise on the small screen, including the development of new series, miniseries, and other content, including animation.

While this generally seems like good news for the Star Trek universe, it may also be disappointing, depending on what kind of Star Trek fan you are. While the move represents a reinvestment in the Star Trek TV universe, Kurtzman is not known for critical success. Previously, he has co-written the scripts for Transformers, Star Trek, Star Trek Into Darkness, and The Amazing Spider-Man 2. More recently, he directed and co-wrote The Mummy. Not exactly the kind of nuanced science fiction writing Star Trek has, at its best, historically represented.

More news on the expanded Star Trek TV universe as we hear it.
[Reply]
Frazod 03:18 PM 05-15-2020
I don't give a fuck about Discovery at this point - I probably wouldn't have watched the second season if not for the injection of Pike, Spock and the Enterprise. Without them, seriously, who cares? Discovery has the lamest cast in the history of Star Trek, by a factor. At best, they're unremarkable. At worst, they are insufferable and annoying as fuck. I don't care about any of them now. At all.
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 03:29 PM 05-15-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...access-1294704

'Star Trek' Pike and Spock Series Set at CBS All Access

CBS All Access is firing up the USS Enterprise.

The streamer has handed out a straight-to-series order for Star Trek: Discovery spinoff Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. The drama will see Anson Mount, Ethan Peck and Rebecca Romijn reprise their respective Discovery roles as Capt. Christopher Pike, Spock and Number One as the series explores the years the former manned the helm of the Enterprise. The show follows the trio in the decade before Capt. Kirk boarded the Enterprise as they explore new worlds around the galaxy.

More at the link
Smart move. Pike is an iconic figure in Trek lore.
[Reply]
Jamie 11:23 PM 05-18-2020

[Reply]
listopencil 12:35 AM 05-19-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...access-1294704

'Star Trek' Pike and Spock Series Set at CBS All Access

CBS All Access is firing up the USS Enterprise.

The streamer has handed out a straight-to-series order for Star Trek: Discovery spinoff Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. The drama will see Anson Mount, Ethan Peck and Rebecca Romijn reprise their respective Discovery roles as Capt. Christopher Pike, Spock and Number One as the series explores the years the former manned the helm of the Enterprise. The show follows the trio in the decade before Capt. Kirk boarded the Enterprise as they explore new worlds around the galaxy.

More at the link

The only actor I liked in Discovery well enough to anticipate watching was Tig Nataro, who played the engineer Jett Reno. I had never seen her before and I had no idea that she was a stand up comic. I swear I laughed every time she was on screen. I liked the character of Saru even though the 'sensing death' thing was stupid. Other than that I can't think of anything I'd miss if this replaced Discovery.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:20 AM 05-19-2020
Originally Posted by listopencil:
The only actor I liked in Discovery well enough to anticipate watching was Tig Nataro, who played the engineer Jett Reno. I had never seen her before and I had no idea that she was a stand up comic. I swear I laughed every time she was on screen. I liked the character of Saru even though the 'sensing death' thing was stupid. Other than that I can't think of anything I'd miss if this replaced Discovery.
Season 2 was way better than season 1. But, when you think about it even with Spock from the beginning, it gets a lot better when Pike and his crew show up and the story line with them ramps up.
[Reply]
listopencil 02:33 AM 05-21-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Season 2 was way better than season 1. But, when you think about it even with Spock from the beginning, it gets a lot better when Pike and his crew show up and the story line with them ramps up.
Right. I was pretty excited at just the prospect of seeing an earlier version of Spock on the screen, done well. And it was. But the way the three mains (Pike, Spock, Number 1) came across just popped on the screen. Compared to the Discovery cast those three seriously inhabited their characters. They had this immediate chemistry that was fun to watch, like the actors just got it and took off.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 12:13 AM 07-28-2020
Whoopi’s in for Picard szn 2!!!!
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 12:54 AM 07-28-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Whoopi’s in for Picard szn 2!!!!
He asked her to join in before season 1 had finished airing. He appeared on the View and asked her on camera IIRC.

[Reply]
Frazod 03:14 PM 09-02-2020
Just in case you needed another reason not to bother with Season 3 of Discovery......

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/02/enter...ers/index.html

'Star Trek: Discovery' to introduce history-making non-binary and transgender characters

By Sandra Gonzalez, CNN
Updated 4:18 PM ET, Wed September 2, 2020

Blu del Barrio and Ian Alexander

(CNN)"Star Trek: Discovery" is boldly going where no "Star Trek" TV or film has gone before.

CBS All Access on Wednesday announced that Season 3 of "Star Trek: Discovery" will introduce non-binary and transgender characters, who will be the first in the franchise's history.

"'Star Trek' has always made a mission of giving visibility to underrepresented communities because it believes in showing people that a future without division on the basis of race, gender, gender identity or sexual orientation is entirely within our reach," said Michelle Paradise, co-showrunner and executive producer, in a statement.

One character, named Adira, will be played by Blu del Barrio, a non-binary actor whose preferred pronouns are they and them. Adira is described in a press release as "highly intelligent" and someone who forms "an unexpected bond with Lt. Commander Paul Stamets (Anthony Rapp) and Dr. Hugh Culber (Wilson Cruz)."

Another character, named Gray, will be played by Ian Alexander, a 19-year-old actor who counts Netflix's "The OA" among his other credits.

Gray is said to be "empathetic, warm and eager to fulfill his lifelong dream of being a Trill host, but he will have to adapt when his life takes an unexpected turn," according to a description shared by the network.

"We take pride in working closely with Blu del Barrio, Ian Alexander and Nick Adams at GLAAD to create the extraordinary characters of Adira and Gray, and bring their stories to life with empathy, understanding, empowerment and joy," Paradise added.

The new season is expected to premiere on October 15.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 03:24 PM 09-02-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Just in case you needed another reason not to bother with Season 3 of Discovery......

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/02/enter...ers/index.html

'Star Trek: Discovery' to introduce history-making non-binary and transgender characters

By Sandra Gonzalez, CNN
Updated 4:18 PM ET, Wed September 2, 2020

Blu del Barrio and Ian Alexander

(CNN)"Star Trek: Discovery" is boldly going where no "Star Trek" TV or film has gone before.

CBS All Access on Wednesday announced that Season 3 of "Star Trek: Discovery" will introduce non-binary and transgender characters, who will be the first in the franchise's history.

"'Star Trek' has always made a mission of giving visibility to underrepresented communities because it believes in showing people that a future without division on the basis of race, gender, gender identity or sexual orientation is entirely within our reach," said Michelle Paradise, co-showrunner and executive producer, in a statement.

One character, named Adira, will be played by Blu del Barrio, a non-binary actor whose preferred pronouns are they and them. Adira is described in a press release as "highly intelligent" and someone who forms "an unexpected bond with Lt. Commander Paul Stamets (Anthony Rapp) and Dr. Hugh Culber (Wilson Cruz)."

Another character, named Gray, will be played by Ian Alexander, a 19-year-old actor who counts Netflix's "The OA" among his other credits.

Gray is said to be "empathetic, warm and eager to fulfill his lifelong dream of being a Trill host, but he will have to adapt when his life takes an unexpected turn," according to a description shared by the network.

"We take pride in working closely with Blu del Barrio, Ian Alexander and Nick Adams at GLAAD to create the extraordinary characters of Adira and Gray, and bring their stories to life with empathy, understanding, empowerment and joy," Paradise added.

The new season is expected to premiere on October 15.
You know how I know that whomever wrote this doesn't give a shit about Trek? STTNG has already hit on this subject with "The Outcast" (Season 5 Episode 17). Trek has gone there before and Soren was the first androgynous character to appear on Trek.
[Reply]
Frazod 03:33 PM 09-02-2020
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:
You know how I know that whomever wrote this doesn't give a shit about Trek? STTNG has already hit on this subject with "The Outcast" (Season 5 Episode 17). Trek has gone there before and Soren was the first androgynous character to appear on Trek.
I know. It's the same way they ignored Sisko and Janeway when trumpeting the magnificent virtues of Mary Sue Burnham.

I just hope they're smart enough to contain all the alphabet people to Discovery. Because if they load up the new Pike show with this crap, I won't watch a second of it.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:41 PM 09-02-2020
I know. It's the same way they ignored Sisko and Janeway when trumpeting the magnificent virtues of Mary Sue Burnham.

I just hope they're smart enough to contain all the alphabet people to Discovery. Because if they load up the new Pike show with this crap, I won't watch a second of it.
A Star Trek Pike show is as good as it gets for you. And to be fair, I’m really excited too.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 07:42 PM 09-02-2020

Are you boycotting the Lower Decks show as well? Because if you are... you are missing out.
[Reply]
Frazod 07:55 PM 09-02-2020
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:
Are you boycotting the Lower Decks show as well? Because if you are... you are missing out.
I haven't watched it yet. Not really boycotting, just haven't mustered up the interest. I've been watching Lucifer lately, and have several seasons to get through.
[Reply]
listopencil 08:13 PM 09-02-2020
I haven't watched it yet. Not really boycotting, just haven't mustered up the interest. I've been watching Lucifer lately, and have several seasons to get through.
I watched the first episode. It was better than I thought it would be. It was still goofy and cartoonish but it has potential.
[Reply]
Page 31 of 70
« First < 212728293031 3233343541 > Last »
Up